CTH-8550 mark2 and Zellaton

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I think the Zs are truly amazing, possibly the best 'conventional' speaker I've heard. One integrated amplifier that has not been mentioned that I think would pair wonderfully is the remarkable new(ish) Audionet Humboldt.

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
I think the Zs are truly amazing, possibly the best 'conventional' speaker I've heard. One integrated amplifier that has not been mentioned that I think would pair wonderfully is the remarkable new(ish) Audionet Humboldt.
The Humboldt is great indeed. For me the Dartzeel and Thrax bring more realistic, live music. But both are must more expensive.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
The Humboldt is great indeed. For me the Dartzeel and Thrax bring more realistic, live music. But both are must more expensive.
This is simply not true. And I know both the Humboldt (own it) and Trax Dionysus / Heros very well. You can have a preference but don't call Thrax more realistic ;-). Both combinations are superb though

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
This is simply not true. And I know both the Humboldt (own it) and Trax Dionysus / Heros very well. You can have a preference but don't call Thrax more realistic ;-). Both combinations are superb though
Did you hear both amps with the Stage? An integrated amp can be grat like e.g. the Humboldt. A pre amp and poweramp is often much better as Thrax or Spectral proof. The Humboldt s great for less money but for my ears, music the Thrax is much better. Maybe my sources and cables makes the difference ;-)

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
At some point you need to stop and admit you were out of line. First it is not powerful enough and then it is an integrated and the speakers deserve better.

You must mean it needs to be something YOU sell. Cmon.

I’m only trying to assist in the best way I can based on my own experience with Zellaton Stage and the various brands and amps that I’ve got access to. I’ve also mentioned brands that could works just as well that I don’t represent incl. Vitus. I’ve never heard Zellaton with Vitus though, why I would never comment on this combination.

Either way, these speakers are relatively power hungry if you want the best out of them in terms of dynamics and bottom end presence.

Just take it for what its worth where I always try to give my honest opinion based on my own findings.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I think its important to realize the amplifiers being discussed here are all FANTASTIC! I've heard the Thrax, the Dart, the Vitus before deciding to carry the Audionet. For me the neutrality, transparancy, and dynamics of the Audionet gear puts it in the lead for me and my sonic preferences.

As for the assertion that cost no object separates are universally 'better' than integrated designed to the same standards, unless the speakers are notoriously difficult to drive, the latest crop of Integrateds really make me think otherwise.

Having heard the Zellaton Stages, References and Statements at length at Gideons (with a stated 88, 90, and 92db sensitivity), driven by FM Acoustic electronics; followed the next day by extensive listening of the Humboldt Integrated, along with the Heisenbergs and Stern separates driving the top of the line YG Acoustic speakers (at 88 db sensitivity). The Integrated and the separates are remarkably close in this comparison.
I would expect that the difference in performance between the Humboldt and the Stern Heisenbergs driving any of the Zellatons would be very small, in the order of 5-10 percent.

Last edited:
Reactions: nirodha

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Did you hear both amps with the Stage? An integrated amp can be grat like e.g. the Humboldt. A pre amp and poweramp is often much better as Thrax or Spectral proof. The Humboldt s great for less money but for my ears, music the Thrax is much better. Maybe my sources and cables makes the difference ;-)
Pity. All I can say about these great brands is that I heard the Thrax combo with Plural Evo; top line Schnerzinger cables, full room treatments with schnerzinger gadget many times. And the sound: Awesome! But more realistic than Humboldt? I wonder. Seductive, yes. But realistic sound reproduction also means pace and rhythm. In this Humboldt excells. Humboldt and Thrax both offer a view on sound reproduction. Neither of them present the true realism of live music.

Reactions: musicfirst1

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I see why you like Thrax. I have Dionysos preamp, and they are amazing. Very few people have heard them, and when they do, they have all given the best praises. I am looking to add Teres monos at some point. Some of the finest. They are also very well built and look very prestigious.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing