d'Agostino Momento pre-amp.

sickophant

May 24, 2013
Warszawa, Polsce; BrizVegas, Oz
I was just looking for a little info on the uses of the tone controls on the new Momento pre.

It just struck me dumb when I saw them. Was just wondering out loud.

All I can get from another fella is "when they are off, they are completely out of the loop". So that didn't exactly tell what they ARE for.

Is the d'A stuff a little bass shy or treble shrill or something?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I bet it's not, but a lot of recordings are. And, my guess, that's what the tone controls are there for.

alexandre

sickophant

May 24, 2013
Warszawa, Polsce; BrizVegas, Oz
I bet it's not, but a lot of recordings are. And, my guess, that's what the tone controls are there for.

Oh, I see there are a few Cello Palettes on Audiogon up for grabs ...

I love reading spin. Countries have been invaded on spin. Anyone want to buy a bridge?

Last edited:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010

Either that or Mr. D.d'A has decided to put to rest the decades of search and flounder by the hundreds of thousands of audio listening fans with the millions of threads and posts in more recent years debating, theorising, arguing and bitterly arguing the benefits and or laughability of this or that tonearm, cart., cable, jitter, filters, vibration, tuning stone, rack, vinyl weight, the weight of vinyl, CD circumcision and de-magnetisation, should I live near a train station?, copper, silver, gold, TVC or relay ladder, should I move away from the train station?, power supply, 16-bit, AAD, DDD, wall socket, whole house wiring! and any other of the hundreds of egregious tidbits - with a pair of treble/bass dials; on a $30K unit. This is Dan!, The Man! All Solved, close down the Forum.

You can't be serious. I was expecting particularly powerful brand/The Man loyalists to come from the woodwork and slam the slightest detractions, unable to swim the deluge of beratings. The utmost positive of spinning on a 40 year old concept of a pair of dials from any $50 Japanese deck from an era ago.

But a unit geared toward poor recordings? That's it?

I mean, it's so benign. Isn't this big news? Dan, god!, tone controls. An industry changer? Or have I just been absent from my missus too long? Need a flush.

I love reading spin. Countries have been invaded on spin. Anyone want to buy a bridge?

What if I add, as it is likely to be rigged to Wilson speakers it is likely the bass boost is there for that particular manufacturer's bass airiness. I also hear the Momento struggles above 8Ohm loads. Will that bring them out?

Try fitting that onto the front of the Memento http://www.celloseattle.com/ctdocs/prodserve/peripherals/audiopalette.html

Tone controls have indeed been a point of discussion within audio (but then,....what hasn't :p?). If this pre-amp has tone controls and they can be used / or completely shut off there is nothing to complain. Or am I wrong?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Either that or Mr. D.d'A has decided to put to rest the decades of search and flounder by the hundreds of thousands of audio listening fans with the millions of threads and posts in more recent years debating, theorising, arguing and bitterly arguing the benefits and or laughability of this or that tonearm, cart., cable, jitter, filters, vibration, tuning stone, rack, vinyl weight, the weight of vinyl, CD circumcision and de-magnetisation, should I live near a train station?, copper, silver, gold, TVC or relay ladder, should I move away from the train station?, power supply, 16-bit, AAD, DDD, wall socket, whole house wiring! and any other of the hundreds of egregious tidbits - with a pair of treble/bass dials; on a $30K unit. This is Dan!, The Man! All Solved, close down the Forum.

You can't be serious. I was expecting particularly powerful brand/The Man loyalists to come from the woodwork and slam the slightest detractions, unable to swim the deluge of beratings. The utmost positive of spinning on a 40 year old concept of a pair of dials from any $50 Japanese deck from an era ago.

But a unit geared toward poor recordings? That's it?

I mean, it's so benign. Isn't this big news? Dan, god!, tone controls. An industry changer? Or have I just been absent from my missus too long? Need a flush.

What if I add, as it is likely to be rigged to Wilson speakers it is likely the bass boost is there for that particular manufacturer's bass airiness. I also hear the Momento struggles above 8Ohm loads. Will that bring them out?

Try fitting that onto the front of the Memento http://www.celloseattle.com/ctdocs/prodserve/peripherals/audiopalette.html

Huh??

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Looks like there is a new WBF hi end drama queen. The fact the Pre offers tone controls does not concern me in the least. They can be by passed when not being used. They would come in handy with bass deficient or air lacking cd's and some lp's.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Looks like there is a new WBF hi end drama queen. The fact the Pre offers tone controls does not concern me in the least. They can be by passed when not being used. They would come in handy with bass deficient or air lacking cd's and some lp's.

what's the saying... about as useful as tits on a bull?? Christian, YOU have tone controls. A manufacturer can't possibly guess which frequencies, Q or gain that will be needed to fix poor recordings. It's an unnecessary expense that should not have even been done. That's what tape loops are for!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
what's the saying... about as useful as tits on a bull?? Christian, YOU have tone controls. A manufacturer can't possibly guess which frequencies, Q or gain that will be needed to fix poor recordings. It's an unnecessary expense that should not have even been done. That's what tape loops are for!

No Bruce. What the OP is doing is going from site to site spewing the same ignorant crap about a product he either couldn't or wouldn't buy whether it did or did not have tone controls.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
No Bruce. What the OP is doing is going from site to site spewing the same ignorant crap about a product he either couldn't or wouldn't buy whether it did or did not have tone controls.

Couldn't? The OP already has a preamp in the same approx price range...

Wouldn't? Can't answer that one...

However, I wouldn't buy a preamp with tone controls...just one more thing in the circuit...I'd change the offending thing up or downstream from the pre...I feel (others can debate me) the tone controls are a band aid...fix your room, power or what ever component is the root...just my personal opinion... and that may not be worth much :)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Has this thread run its course and served its purpose

hmm depends if you desire a free flow of thoughts, opinions and ideas...or control of info...

my opinion (since you seem to have asked a question...) is the OP asked a question...several replied...maybe things got a bit off a left field on occasion and it's ok to dial that back a notch...but let us speak freely please...it's ok for us all not to agree...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

That's a good point. I guess I'm not into bashing Dan's products. An eq in the tape loop is the best option...still, I kind of like this preamp. On the other hand, with FM....;)

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
The biggest tone controls are the ones either side of our heads that continue to dial down the high frequencies year after year. And they are always in the loop, and they are denying us music thats there to be heard. I am always facinated by the disdain for tone controls when they are labeled as such, but when they are weird cables, or a different tube, cartridge, or different speakers or rocks or clocks its fine.

A defeatable tone control is high end. A non defeatable one is not. A pre-amp without a tone control is lacking IMO. In my younger years it was great to dial down the cd hot high end, and now, its nice to dial in some highs....ther is a LOT o MUSIC up there dudes and dudetes! And I am not talking about 15 KHz, how about at 5Khz for some on this forum.

+1. Well put.

Blessed are those who listen selectively only to great recordings.. keep enjoying your equipments and that endless list of peripherals. There's just too plentiful of good music out there with much less than perfect recordings to miss out on.

Funny, how many on threads have strong opinions on things over hearsay or what they read then perceptively judge without any actual experience of the said products. I know of naysayers of tone controls, expensive cabling, d.room corrections etc who are now fanatic converts. Have an open mind, and most importantly, open ears, only then merits or otherwise of the said products are worth a discussion. At the end of the day, purist/non purist, anything that positively enhances one's listening experiences are worthwhile and legit, imo.

With or without those controls, I suspect the D'ag pre's were set to be priced in that bracket anyway. If in the market for one, I'd be more than please having that option/flexibility on hand. And surely, Dan as experienced as he is, would not implement any compromising circuitry (sonic wise) which could otherwise jeopardize the premier launch of his new babies.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing