DarTZeel and Mcintosh - help in picking amp

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
Imo such queries contrasting very different components, same with contrasting VDH or Lyra to Koetsu, don't make sense. When some things are very different, either you like one or not. Attributes on a paper don't tell you what one means vs the other. Yes, if two were very close, like one model of Dart vs the other, that could make sense. But Gryphon and dart are just going to make systems sound very different, and one could like one and not the other at all. That should be the only difference.
They indeed sound very different.. Cant recommend the Gryphon with too revealing speakers…
On the other hand the mcintosh and the dart are not worlds apart.. on the contrary.. very very similar

Reactions: paolo and Carlos269

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
Also had one more question.. for people still reading this thread..

Why do I have this subconscious feeling that solid state amps are superior to tube amps ? I also think the average hifi shop sells - out of a 100
amps - 90 solid state amps ? ???

At least the shops I visited it seems that way.

on the other hand I love the look of a tube amp.. and they don’t sound bad at all ??

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Why do I have this subconscious feeling that solid state amps are superior to tube amps ? I also think the average hifi shop sells - out of a 100

on the other hand I love the look of a tube amp.. and they don’t sound bad at all ??
tube amplifiers are actually better suited for electrostats and magnetostats because of the transformer coupling. some solid stage amps do not cope well with large foils (big capacity) tendency to oscillate.
The problem that electro-static loudspeakers usually have a bad efficiency and need a lot of power.
P.S Bryston is a good exsample it doesn't bother them at all

Last edited:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010

On the other hand I hate the look of solid state… and they don’t sound good at all …. Hihi just kidding :p

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I also think the average hifi shop sells - out of a 100
amps - 90 solid state amps ?
Thats because the aftersales troubles are easier i reckon
No broken tube / tube hiss complaints :p.

May be you like SS more , because your speakers are a bit harder to drive
Or may be not and you just like SS more , nothing wrong with that.

Ps Dont listen to people who try to convert you to SETs / Horns.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO comparing Dartzeel's versus McInstosh must include the preamplfiers. I have onwed and hosted several Dartzeel's and found that the power amplifiers needed the NHB18 preamplifier to show their best. Contrary to the old usual practice in the high end - tube preamplifier with solid state power amplifier, that is many times successful - in the long term I did not like tube preamplifiers with DartZeel power amplifier. Just MHO, YMMV.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is true, Dartzeel needs that transparency and the preamp is relatively passive compared to an active valve preamp like AR, for example.

Personally am no more an advocate of valve preamp into SS power amps. The reverse works better, and in some cases just use the SS preamp for the SS power amp with tubes in the source

Reactions: sujay and Petrat

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
IMHO comparing Dartzeel's versus McInstosh must include the preamplfiers. I have onwed and hosted several Dartzeel's and found that the power amplifiers needed the NHB18 preamplifier to show their best. Contrary to the old usual practice in the high end - tube preamplifier with solid state power amplifier, that is many times successful - in the long term I did not like tube preamplifiers with DartZeel power amplifier. Just MHO, YMMV.
Hervé was at my place several days ago to demo the NHB 468 and we paired them with my tube Thrax Libra preamp. Even himself recognised that the pairing was fabulous. He had the darTZeel NHB 18 preamp with him but we did not bother hooking it to the system.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Afaik he is looking for / compared only integrated amplifiers.
A nice good simple system :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Thanks, I see you are correct. However the thread also turned to the power amplifiers, that sound very different from the CH8550. BTW, I do not have experience with the new CH8550 mk2, but still use the original CH8550 in very hots days when I do not want to have two 400 watt tube heaters in the room.

Anyway the current price of the CH8550 with phono in Europe that pays VAT is around 33k, something that rules it out in a 40k system. Although I have not heard about the brand for some time , for such system I would also consider the great sounding Ayre AX5 Twenty.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hervé was at my place several days ago to demo the NHB 468 and we paired them with my tube Thrax Libra preamp. Even himself recognised that the pairing was fabulous. He had the darTZeel NHB 18 preamp with him but we did not bother hooking it to the system.

Your excellent preamplifier is not a typical tune preamplfier - it is complex design, emulating some aspects of solid state preamplifiers, such as balanced DC-coupled input and output. In fact, the only other tube preamplfier with these caracteristics I can remember immediately is the Atmasphere MP1.

Anyway , it would have been great if you carried the comparison.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
the amplifiers have poor readings, but it doesn't matter, it used to be the same with MF David and sounded super good.:)

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
Thanks, I see you are correct. However the thread also turned to the power amplifiers, that sound very different from the CH8550. BTW, I do not have experience with the new CH8550 mk2, but still use the original CH8550 in very hots days when I do not want to have two 400 watt tube heaters in the room.

Anyway the current price of the CH8550 with phono in Europe that pays VAT is around 33k, something that rules it out in a 40k system. Although I have not heard about the brand for some time , for such system I would also consider the great sounding Ayre AX5 Twenty.
Actually I can have the demo 8550 mk2 from the store for 19k ( including phono) so that seems almost like a steal.. coupled with 12k speakers keeps it within budget.. ( below 40k )

On the other hand.. how can a company reasonably explain a 10k increase in price for the same product ?? From 23k to 33k!

Reactions: Carlos269

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
indeed.. the seperates from dartzeel are out of budget… I could have demo’s them in the store but I ve come to learn not to demo something I can’t afford.

with mcintosh you can have seperates ( C8 and MC1502 for less than 20k ) but I can’t shake the feeling that mcintosh is like the Volkswagen of the hifi world ? Ofcourse there’s nothing wrong with a VW ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Actually I can have the demo 8550 mk2 from the store for 19k ( including phono) so that seems almost like a steal.. coupled with 12k speakers keeps it within budget.. ( below 40k )

On the other hand.. how can a company reasonably explain a 10k increase in price for the same product ?? From 23k to 33k!
Such values completely change the situation - I would immediately get it and start thinking about the speakers. In my experience the CH8550 can drive almost anything pretty well, even the SoundLabs A1 Px that are very inefficient and a terrible load.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Such values completely change the situation - I would immediately get it and start thinking about the speakers. In my experience the CH8550 can drive almost anything pretty well, even the SoundLabs A1 Px that are very inefficient and a terrible load.
I think that he has been clear that he likes the sound of the McIntosh better. And it is also at a quarter of the cost of the Dartzeel. Content deleted - Personal attacks are not tolerated on this board.

Reactions: sujay

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
I think that he has been clear that he likes the sound of the McIntosh better. And it is also at a quarter of the cost of the Dartzeel. Content deleted - Personal attacks are not tolerated on this board.
What you re saying is : Dartzeel is more of a "snobbish" thing.. like Aston Martin compared to Porsche (in this case Mcintosh) I like your signature btw :)

It's just really hard when you are building your first system to make the right choice.. whatever that may be..

In this case I like the looks of the 1502 more than the looks of the DarTZeel.. I know you don't hear looks but when I really really had to do my beast to hear a difference.. then I guess it's too close to call on a sonic level...resale value also comes into play..

I can get the DarTZeel considerably cheaper than MSRP (19 instead of 33k) but I don't think there are many dartzeel buyers on the used market whereas mcintosh I guess will be easier to sell.. except I do need to pay MSRP..

Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 00.32.14.png

vs

Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 00.49.05.png

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing