DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
finally some shitty weather so I could reroute my DaVa fc supply wire on the Groovemaster and reconfigure the gnd scheme to The Head and then on to LCR riaa
now totally humfree
also got around to rebuild riaa yesterday to add a third input
2 MM and 1 MC with S&B SUT in fixed position for EMT mono and stereo in Alfred Bokrand 309 banana
20200705_123729.jpg

Attachments

• 20200705_123733.jpg
    20200705_123733.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 15

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
finally some shitty weather so I could reroute my DaVa fc supply wire on the Groovemaster and reconfigure the gnd scheme to The Head and then on to LCR riaa
now totally humfree
also got around to rebuild riaa yesterday to add a third input
2 MM and 1 MC with S&B SUT in fixed position for EMT mono and stereo in Alfred Bokrand 309 banana
View attachment 66909

Hi Leif. What cable did you use for the DaVa dc power cable duty? Was it shielded or not and what AWG?

Reactions: Hifi man

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Leif. What cable did you use for the DaVa dc power cable duty? Was it shielded or not and what AWG?

All of Leif's cables were unshielded silver with cotton

Reactions: Hifi man and gian60

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
All of Leif's cables were unshielded silver with cotton

If ever there was a place for shielding it would be this specific application.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
the DaVa Fc-1A dc cable is 2 isolated silver wires

Hi Leif,

By isolated do you mean physically separated only? I can see them on top of the arm. Before you had them going around the arm like a spiral in the photo.

I have been looking for small AWG shielded or screened cables for when I get the DaVa due to that proximity with signal cables.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
coated and physically separated
yes I´d like som too....
first I had severe "motorboating"
then I revolved around armtube and reduced it
then yesterday I rerouted twisted and on top of tube and rearanged gnd.....
result no hum, but still slight motorboating on full throttle
guess a shielded one would solve that too
would need to take 13vdc 100mA or so

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
coated and physically separated
yes I´d like som too....
first I had severe "motorboating"
then I revolved around armtube and reduced it
then yesterday I rerouted twisted and on top of tube and rearanged gnd.....
result no hum, but still slight motorboating on full throttle
guess a shielded one would solve that too
would need to take 13vdc 100mA or so

Okay will keep you posted in case I find something. I might try to find some Kondo IO Ltd owners to find out their solution.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Got my cartridge yesterday, took like half an hour to put it in place. And WHAMMM:eek:, it took me really by surprise: this is high resolution vinyl with everything in spades but wonderfully well balanced! It gives an additional insight into large instrumentation as small baroque ensembles or voices. Previous cartridge was a Lyra Etna.
Still has to burn in of course so it will only get better over time :).
For the moment 3.3 grams of downforce but can be reduced to 2.5 after about 30 hours of playing.

Mounted on the FCL tonearm from Primary Control.

As from the first moment, no humming or anything. Again, plug and play for me this was.

Darius is an out of this world craftsman as i know some more like him, happy to have them in my system!

20200711_184243.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Got my cartridge yesterday, took like half an hour to put it in place. And WHAMMM:eek:, it took me really by surprise: this is high resolution vinyl with everything in spades but wonderfully well balanced! It gives an additional insight into large instrumentation as small baroque ensembles or voices. Previous cartridge was a Lyra Etna.
For the moment 3.3 grams of downforce but can be reduced to 2.5 after about 30 hours of playing.

As from the first moment, no humming or anything. Again, plug and play for me this was.

Darius is an out of this world craftsman as i know some more like him, happy to have them in my system!

View attachment 67168

Great news!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You have this baby on it's way to you too, Bill?
I have to say if anything was gonna make me move on from my Straingauge, this would be the one.
I know it's in the €3-4k region. Are audiophile quality FC psus particularly pricey?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway

View attachment 67168

Glad you liked it too
Always risky with persistant recommendations
Enjoy

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
You have this baby on it's way to you too, Bill?
I have to say if anything was gonna make me move on from my Straingauge, this would be the one.
I know it's in the €3-4k region. Are audiophile quality FC psus particularly pricey?

Yes ordered and deposit paid. I take my delivery in September.

Sorry forgot to respond to the power supply question. It comes with a FC power supply for a very small fee (couple hundred euros) and all the feedback thus far is based on this.

In answer to your question though - like anything in audio you can spend as much as you like on such things. I for sure will be trying out valve based power supplies for it without a doubt and possibly other more fancy ss ones if that proves too challenging.

Thomas Mayer makes a speaker field coil supply that I am sure can be tweaked for this application (would need to see voltage and amp specs) but since it is a bespoke item, I would think he can make it. It is 5250 euros. I believe it is solid state.
https://www.vinylsavor.com/en/products/other/

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway

View attachment 67168
still happy?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing