DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

Yep I have written a lot about the tube psu. I have the tube and the selenium recti ss. You can read what I wrote on this thread.

Thank you Audiophile Bill! I will read and ev come back!

Long story short - I would buy it and the SUT if I were you.

I told Darius I will test with the PSU supplied and my excellent Excel Sound Corp SUT over the summer! Darius has holidays anyway!!

How are you getting on so far?

Reactions: Persve
First impression is overwhelming! And this is without having finetuned the VTA, azimuth, overhang….and Darius says I must play it in at least 20 hours! Impressive! Great soundstage, strong, deep base with good contour, open midrange, good on voices with extended highs! Overall extremely good dynamics exaggerated by the beautiful EMT 927!

First impression is overwhelming! And this is without having finetuned the VTA, azimuth, overhang….and Darius says I must play it in at least 20 hours! Impressive! Great soundstage, strong, deep base with good contour, open midrange, good on voices with extended highs! Overall extremely good dynamics exaggerated by the beautiful EMT 927!

Yes with a 927 I can’t imagine wanting to ever bother with any other source ever again. You surely can’t get more musically addictive.

Ortofon AB 297 12 inch Banana with integrated wires for PSU. Headshell in aluminium i e no problem with heat dissipation!
I know you have written a lot about the PSU but has any of you ordered the tube PSU from Darius?
I got tube psu and selenium one from Darius. Tube one is much better and you can easily adjust the voltage. Great stuff!
I strongly recommend SUT from Darius for MM section in phono stage. Works perfectly

Hi Mike. What is that box with green light over the platter?
hi Tang, the CS Port static eliminator. it really works and puts the effect directly on the record. reduces, eliminates clicks and pops, reduces the tendency to attract dust. probably not as critical in a tropical humid climate.

Reactions: Tango
I think linear trackers excel with low watt SETs and high resolution drivers, like AER, tad, and Radian beryllium

I have always thought of tonearms as a sonic variable independent of specific amplifier or specific speaker topologies.

I think it would be interesting if you would please start a thread expounding on this point.

he might refer to the advantages of linear trackers are more evident in lo watt se /hieff systems cruising along on a watt or two....

I have always thought of tonearms as a sonic variable independent of specific amplifier or specific speaker topologies.

I think it would be interesting if you would please start a thread expounding on this point.

I often find linear trackers to be wimpish, lack bass, or the authority of pivots and the structure in some set ups. Pivots do the structured layering and soundstage better. LTs do a different type of stage, not the same as pivots, relatively more unstructured and music is just there kind of thing, which I think suits SETs horns. I will change my opinion if I hear the CS Port do well at Mike's. I find the immediacy, agility and nuance of LTs works better with lower watt SETs and higher efficieny drivers which all supplement each others strengths and therefore excel together on that front

Not interested in a thread. No point on arguing on this in theory

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick
he might refer to the advantages of linear trackers are more evident in lo watt se /hieff systems cruising along on a watt or two....

Yes is that your own finding and what's the technical reason

I often find linear trackers to be wimpish, lack bass, or the authority of pivots and the structure in some set ups. Pivots do the structured layering and soundstage better.

When you write "linear trackers" are you including both air-bearing tube-type linear trackers and pivoting linear trackers? If not, do you find that pivoting linear trackers recover some of the bass and authority lost by air-bearing tube-type linear trackers, and can offer much of the best characteristics of both air-bearing tube-type linear trackers and of traditional pivoting tonearms?

PS: I had no desire to argue theory with you. I have numerous data points of experience with both types of linear trackers, and with both types of stereo systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur
Yes is that your own finding and what's the technical reason

My pseudo-theory fwiw - very high efficiency horns coupled to very clean and well designed low wattage SETs have the ability to reveal micro nuances and information like no other transducers. They can be an electron microscope on the recording. Linear trackers with the right cart also excel at retrieving micro nuances and information more so than most pivoted arm ime. Therefore couple the 2 together and the horn/set has the ability to reveal what is extracted by the LT/cart. This would otherwise be lost in say an inefficient cone system with 1000 watts of ss up its butt.

When you write "linear trackers" are you including both air-bearing tube-type linear trackers and pivoting linear trackers? Or, if not, do you find that pivoting linear trackers recover some of the bass and authority lost by air-bearing tube-type linear trackers, and can offer much of the best characteristics of both air-bearing tube-type linear trackers and of traditional pivoting tonearms?

PS: I had no desire to argue theory with you. I have numerous data points of experience with both types of linear trackers, and with both types of stereo systems.

My data points are numerous on Vyger alone, some 8 or 9 and counting, and then Bergmann Sindre in 3, Galder in 1, both Sindre and Vyger in both type. Versa Dynamics in 1. CS Port lower model in 1, Goldmund reference in one HE system, Kuzma Airline with multiple cones and horns though always with SETs/low watt push pull. In Pivoted LTs, Schroder LT in 1, and Reed 5T in Cones.

I don't yet know if pivoted LTs are same as LTs. You will have to go to Anamighty and do a controlled experiment with Schroder LT, Reed 5T, and CS Port in both types of systems. Or add in Thales Statement to the mix.

The other thing is the positive experiences could be cartridge dependent so tough to confirm yet, as I have had negative experiences also with linear trackers in HE systems.

Only thing is I can take the positive experiences and decide on it as a package. Hence can't argue theory as you will really have to line them up. Pivoted LTs bring out best of both types is also theory. Not saying it cannot be correct, but I do not know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick
My data points are numerous on Vyger alone, some 8 or 9 and counting, and then Bergmann Sindre in 3, Galder in 1, both Sindre and Vyger in both type. Versa Dynamics in 1. CS Port lower model in 1. ,Kuzma Airline in one high efficiency. In Pivoted LTs, Schroder LT in 1, and Reed 5T in Cones.

I don't yet know if pivoted LTs are same as LTs. You will have to go to Anamighty and do a controlled experiment with Schroder LT, Reed 5T, and CS Port in both types of systems. Or add in Thales Statement to the mix.

The other thing is the positive experiences could be cartridge dependent so tough to confirm yet, as I have had negative experiences also with linear trackers in HE systems.

Only thing is I can take the positive experiences and decide on it as a package. Hence can't argue theory as you will really have to line them up. Pivoted LTs bring out best of both types is also theory. Not saying it cannot be correct, but I do not know.

My hunch (and it is nothing more than that) is that pivoted LTs won’t extract the same level of micro nuances as air bearing LT arms. I got no evidence for this.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing