DCS Vivaldi

jvvita

Jul 2, 2019
My experience is DSD has smaller focus and more detailed presentation, DXD gives fuller and dynamic sound.

It is a matter of personal preference to choose which one.
Wow. The opposite of my experience. That is also an indicative that te results are system dependent. Also agree with your conclusion: absolutely a matter of personal preference.

Patatorz

VIP/Donor
Aug 8, 2015
France
patatorz.com
You have to go menu -> settings -> dxd locked
Then in Mosaic you select either 352 or 384. Upsampler will adjust automatically depending on the family rate of the file (44.1 or 48).

My experience with DxD is a more focused layout, but the soundstage narrower and with less ambience. You feel like in a petit concert. For accoustic music, for me it is the best. But for big bands or rock, the DSD ambience beats it hand down.

Hope it helps
Thanks a lot. Seems ok, only question : is it normal that the Vivaldi DAC is showing 24/384 (for example) instead of DxD while the upsampler is showing DxD ?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Same for me too.

Reactions: Patatorz

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
ditto for me. must be a "feature"

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Tara labs Zero Evolution AES cables truly transform the Vivaldi system. It is amazing! Taralabs Zero Evo AES.png

Last edited:

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Tara Labs Zero Evolution AES cables enormously uplift the SQ of dCS Vivaldi system !
dcs upsampler_zero evo aes.jpg

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
Am thinking about adding a Mutec Ref10 to my 4 box Vivaldi stack. Does any one have any feedback and is it worthwhile to do so. Are there any disadvantages? Also any other external clocks worth considering?
Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks
Marc.

Reactions: vhs and XCop5089

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Tara Labs Zero Evolution AES cables enormously uplift the SQ of dCS Vivaldi system !
I to have found better cables really elevate the performance. Looks like you have it sitting on a Grand Prix Audio shelf/stand, I've found that helps a lot also !

Reactions: vhs

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Am thinking about adding a Mutec Ref10 to my 4 box Vivaldi stack. Does any one have any feedback and is it worthwhile to do so. Are there any disadvantages? Also any other external clocks worth considering?
Thanks
Marc.
I've always been curious but never took the plunge or tried a experiment. Curious what you find out...

TLi

May 27, 2016
Thanks
Marc.

Add a high quality 10MHz reference clock makes a big difference. There is no short coming.

I have use many 10MHz clock, the best now is Cybershaft OP21A. Mutec Ref10 is good but it is only as good as OP20A, OP21A is a click better in every aspect.

Get a Mutec Ref10 or OP21A ASAP, you will not regret it. The only regret you have is not able to get earlier.

Reactions: Patatorz and vhs

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
Could you provide some specific details between the Mutec and Op21A. What is better?!
Are there any others to consider too?
@jfrech, have you never tried an external clock then?
M

TLi

May 27, 2016
Could you provide some specific details between the Mutec and Op21A. What is better?!
Are there any others to consider too?
@jfrech, have you never tried an external clock then?
M
If you have time and interest, go through this thread

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-ocxo-10m-clocks-shootout-op20-vs-op17.26610/

It is difficult to convince someone without listening it yourself. With so many people having the same positive comment on a high quality reference clock, it is a strong evidence that you should have faith on.

Put it in simple term, the sound quality of DAC depends largely on the accuracy of the clock. The better the clock the better the sound. It is that simple and we have not hit the ceiling yet. If an even better clock comes up in the future, the sound can still improve. So far, the best I can find is Cybershaft OP21A.

Reactions: Patatorz and vhs

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
If you have time and interest, go through this thread

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-ocxo-10m-clocks-shootout-op20-vs-op17.26610/

It is difficult to convince someone without listening it yourself. With so many people having the same positive comment on a high quality reference clock, it is a strong evidence that you should have faith on.

Put it in simple term, the sound quality of DAC depends largely on the accuracy of the clock. The better the clock the better the sound. It is that simple and we have not hit the ceiling yet. If an even better clock comes up in the future, the sound can still improve. So far, the best I can find is Cybershaft OP21A.
Thank you

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Thanks
Marc.

Addition of Mutec Ref10 SE-120 to dCS Vivaldi system substantially improves the SQ in the aspects of resolution, sound stage, and textures. Mutec 120-3.jpg

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
I to have found better cables really elevate the performance. Looks like you have it sitting on a Grand Prix Audio shelf/stand, I've found that helps a lot also !

My Vivaldi system is sitting on Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack.

Last edited:

Sa683s

Jun 26, 2017
There is only advantage of adding an high grade 10Mhz external clock. Any dCS user can confirm the advantage of the world clock. It sounds digital without the world clock, so to further improve it I tried to find a real high quality 10Mhz clock. I contacted Mutec and they are very kind and made a 1Hz 120dBc 10Mhz clock for me and my friends. (We all use dCS) Its a amazing piece of equipment, after comparing with OP20 I am happy to keep it home and stop searching.
Clock cable do make a difference, pls let Mutec 120SE show it’s full potential if you have a chance to get one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 39

TLi

May 27, 2016
So last question (for now!), what is better Mutec 120SE or OP21?!
Thank you
Marc

As far as I know, there is no direct comparison between the two so far. On paper, OP21 has slightly better specification. Mutec Ref10 SE120 and Cybershaft OP21A are rare items. The clocks takes a few days at least to stabilize, so meaningful comparison takes a lot of time.

I changed from OP20 to OP21 and there is obvious improvement and I am not alone in this. If you haven't used any reference clock before, any one will do and you don't need to split hair in this regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhs and CKKeung

cuprone1

Feb 10, 2013
Italy
As far as I know, there is no direct comparison between the two so far. On paper, OP21 has slightly better specification. Mutec Ref10 SE120 and Cybershaft OP21A are rare items. The clocks takes a few days at least to stabilize, so meaningful comparison takes a lot of time.

I changed from OP20 to OP21 and there is obvious improvement and I am not alone in this. If you haven't used any reference clock before, any one will do and you don't need to split hair in this regard.

Sorry for not being too much prepared...I own a Dcs Vivaldi dac + Vivaldi upsampler and I would add a clock to improve sound. Reading your words it seems I have to buy a Vivaldi clock plus a Mutec or OP21. That's correct? It is ok also if I add a clock from an other brand (which?) instead of Dcs?
What's your advice?
Thank You

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing