DCS Vivaldi

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Point taken, DSD256 support would surely be a minimum spec then....

IMHO , the choice of DSD128 as a minimum is enough - and just for a few old analog recordings. This is also the current option of DCS. The most significant DSD shows in DSD64.

drunkenspyder

Apr 6, 2020
NorCal, USA
www.hammondraffetto.art
I would be willing to invest in the current Vivaldi 'IF' DCS would release a firmware for at least a DSD512 support. I assume they will, but they would also want users to move to their new series.
They've made it pretty clear that they still view even 256 as a small corner case in the market. Much as I would like to see/hear it, I don't believe they will go there until Vivaldi's successor is released. And even then, it's likely to be on a delayed cycle much like their current firmware upgrades. I invested in the Vivaldi stack this year [no Transport], because I love the way it sounds, and after discussions with my dealer, the economics of a trade-up to the successor made just as much sense as buying Rossini and eventually making the same trade.

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
Very interesting - All these "Chinese Whispers" about a replacement for the dCS Vivaldi!

The guys at dCS follow this forum and this is indeed news to them! :D

Reactions: jfrech and BMCG

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
All these rumors is quite an intrigue. Current economic climate does not allow me to consider any upgrade any time soon. I worry about the trend of replacing the transport with a streamer. In my limited experience, the Vivaldi transport still trumps all comers although my reference streamer / file as source player the Aurender W20 is getting a little long in the tooth. If / when there is a new flagship, don't forget the transport please.

Reactions: Aldarion

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very interesting - All these "Chinese Whispers" about a replacement for the dCS Vivaldi!

The guys at dCS follow this forum and this is indeed news to them! :D

I'm with you. Not sure this rumor is founded on reality.

All these rumors is quite an intrigue. Current economic climate does not allow me to consider any upgrade any time soon. I worry about the trend of replacing the transport with a streamer. In my limited experience, the Vivaldi transport still trumps all comers although my reference streamer / file as source player the Aurender W20 is getting a little long in the tooth. If / when there is a new flagship, don't forget the transport please.

No intrigue. It's an unfounded rumor apparently. I've discussed with my dealer and he discussed with dCS.

I agree with you on the trend of transports/streamers. It's hard to beat my transport, no matter what file/NAS drive/etc etc I use.

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
Some people just like to "lob a grenade" into a thread, to prey on the 'audio nervosa' that so many audiophiles are afflicted with!

They then sit back and enjoy a good laugh at all the panic posts that follow!

Last edited:

Tadders

Jul 18, 2020
Hi all,

I’m thinking about a Vivaldi DAC in my system of Network Bridge, Purcell, Delius and Mutec MC 3 Clock. I mainly play ripped CD’s via Roon and use Qobuz streaming service Via Mosaic.

Would it be better to drive the Vivaldi DAC direct from the Network Bridge or keep the Purcell in the setup?

Thanks,

P

Musiclvr

May 20, 2020
My way of thinking is if you have to have an outboard clock to make it sound better, then you didn't design the DAC well in the first place!
The MSB clock is smaller than an iPhone and fits nicely inside the chassis. Plus outboard upsampler??? Give me a break....

Personally I think that the Nagra HD DAC as a single unit sounds better then the 4 stack Vivaldi system

Reactions: Bruce B

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi all,

I’m thinking about a Vivaldi DAC in my system of Network Bridge, Purcell, Delius and Mutec MC 3 Clock. I mainly play ripped CD’s via Roon and use Qobuz streaming service Via Mosaic.

Would it be better to drive the Vivaldi DAC direct from the Network Bridge or keep the Purcell in the setup?

Thanks,

P

Interesting question. I suspect keeping Purcell will help especially if you like upsampling your ripped CD's to DSD today or higher bit rate PCM. If you can one day upgrade the Purcell the the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler it'll be another big step (the network bridge won't be needed in this scenario).

It also maybe worth asking a dealer if a Rossini DAC with newer built in upsampler and network bridge beats a Vivaldi DAC + Purcell + Network bridge.

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
Hi,

Has anyone experimented changing the synergistic research blue fuses to orange in a DCS Vivaldi full stack?
I currently have the blue ones but thinking about changing the 4 out to orange.

Thanks
Marc.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hi,

Has anyone experimented changing the synergistic research blue fuses to orange in a DCS Vivaldi full stack?
I currently have the blue ones but thinking about changing the 4 out to orange.

Thanks
Marc.

Hi @Marck1973 No answer for you but a question back at you - I have wondered about changing from the stock fuses to something else and wonder if you saw a very big uptick from stock to what you have now? If so, can you elaborate?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi @Marck1973 No answer for you but a question back at you - I have wondered about changing from the stock fuses to something else and wonder if you saw a very big uptick from stock to what you have now? If so, can you elaborate?

I'm using the HI-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses. And yes. Blacker background, more detail and textures. And yes these were better than my previous HiFi Tuning Gold fuses. I can't comment on Hi-FI tuning vs Synergistic. I can say better fuses are clearly heard in my case.

Reactions: Ovenmitt and BMCG

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017

So I would say a definite improvement and for the cost relative to the equipment were worth doing. Better black levels is probably the most obvious gain
M.

ct545i

Nov 24, 2015
Personally I think that the Nagra HD DAC as a single unit sounds better then the 4 stack Vivaldi system
It could be a matter of individual taste, but I have recently switched from full dCS Vivaldi stack to Nagra HD DAC X and I am not looking back. I do use a transport in the current setup as well.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Hi all,

Just wondering, Network Bridge + Vivaldi better than Rossini + Clock?

thanks,

Phill
It depends on the clock. From this thread, you will notice good clock means good sound.

The importance of clock is not less than the DAC itself. Of course, the best result is obtained with good DAC and good clock. So my guess is Rossini with a good clock will pass Vivaldi without one.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hi all,

Just wondering, Network Bridge + Vivaldi better than Rossini + Clock?

thanks,

Phill

I had a Rossini without clock before moving to the Vivaldi system (no transport). I would take the Rossini + Clock over the Vivaldi + Upsampler based on my testing with/without clock.

Reactions: BMCG

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I had a Rossini without clock before moving to the Vivaldi system (no transport). I would take the Rossini + Clock over the Vivaldi + Upsampler based on my testing with/without clock.

This is counter to my experience. I found that I greatly preferred the Vivaldi and upsampler to Rossini and clock... it wasn’t even close for me. Having said that, I am gathering funds to buy the Vivaldi clock.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing