Dedicated audio room build thread aka The Big Dig

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hi HughP3,

Thank you for sharing your project. This has been a very interesting read so far. You are very fortunate to be able to do this project. I have a gut feel that this project will contribute more to improving the sound you hear than any equipment. I look forward to reading further progress of this project.

mullard88 I have a lot at stake here with Dennis but he is very confident this room will have extreme resolution regardless of the system. Exciting and nerve racking...

Reactions: christoph

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi HughP3,

Don't stress out too much. Your structure I am sure will lessen power source contamination from household appliances. Furthermore, it will minimize sound leakage from your speakers and at the same time decrease outside noise pollution. These alone are already a big leap towards hearing more. The rest will take time to tailor the sound to suit you and your mood. I have not experienced building a dedicated structure like you. What I just said are from my first hand experience when I had my listening room professionally treated.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Lurking and impressed with your dedication and commitment to the mission. Also, envious of your 5 acres and the shop.

Can you talk about the race car?

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Thanks Bob and your spot on, my wallet is in hiding. but there is no turning back at this point or I jeopardize the build. Interesting that the biggest expense by far is the raw activated carbon. The size of the room calls for so much to of it.

Here is a pic of a few filter boxes. I am going to need a billizion of them. It’s taking me a little less than 10 minutes per box. I still have to fill and close off. I have no room for the carbon until more of the materials are consumed. Maybe a month out for it.

Why did you go thru the trouble of painting the wood in the filters? Building the wall and filling it with the carbon and layers is massive! Looking forward to the report once all is completed.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Lurking and impressed with your dedication and commitment to the mission. Also, envious of your 5 acres and the shop.

Can you talk about the race car?

Hello Mac, Yes! a much needed diversion. Its a Radical SR3 1340. https://www.radicalsportscars.com/our-cars/sr3

I like tracking, not so much street driving. Sold GT3RS before market tanked and got this car. My home tracks are Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park. Car is about year and half old. Has the center seat option. Its very light 1360lbs wet. Not a lot of power but has massive downforce. I have raced it a few times, did the Walter Mitty which is the picture below of me gridding up. Car is capable of almost 2.5G lateral. I am still even now not trusting all the downforce. Faster you go the more you have. Its a full sensory experience. Engine is a Kawasaki Hayabusa 1340cc with about 185HP. 10,000RPM shift point with sequential Quaif gear box operated by a on board compressor. If you like tracking there is nothing close.

Attachments

• IMG_4026.JPG
    IMG_4026.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 80

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Why did you go thru the trouble of painting the wood in the filters? Building the wall and filling it with the carbon and layers is massive! Looking forward to the report once all is completed.

When ordering the primered wood was cheaper, go figure...

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Hello Mac, Yes! a much needed diversion. Its a Radical SR3 1340. https://www.radicalsportscars.com/our-cars/sr3

I like tracking, not so much street driving. Sold GT3RS before market tanked and got this car. My home tracks are Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park. Car is about year and half old. Has the center seat option. Its very light 1360lbs wet. Not a lot of power but has massive downforce. I have raced it a few times, did the Walter Mitty which is the picture below of me gridding up. Car is capable of almost 2.5G lateral. I am still even now not trusting all the downforce. Faster you go the more you have. Its a full sensory experience. Engine is a Kawasaki Hayabusa 1340cc with about 185HP. 10,000RPM shift point with sequential Quaif gear box operated by a on board compressor. If you like tracking there is nothing close.
Sounds like a lot of fun! I get my kicks on a team running a ‘65 Ford Ranchero in an endurance racing series - 24hrs of Lemons. Lots of wheel to wheel in a fun environment. We will be at COLD Road Atlanta this December.

Good luck with your room. I look forward to the evolution.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Lemons is cool, great racing but 24 is too much for me!

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Lemons is cool, great racing but 24 is too much for me!
Ha! Most of their races are 8-9 hrs on Saturday and 7-8 on Sunday. With 3 or 4 drivers & the almost routine repairs, it is manageable. ;)

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
70 built just 240 more to go :(:oops:o_O

Attachments

• 4954C42E-74E6-42A1-B9E3-5B070EA60B5F.jpeg
    4954C42E-74E6-42A1-B9E3-5B070EA60B5F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
More progress. Corner fill is all 2x12. Heavy stuff. 3rd section going in. All of these openings 839AA18F-5633-48FD-8D51-18E6DE70651B.jpeg 839AA18F-5633-48FD-8D51-18E6DE70651B.jpeg F5EB66E5-528A-4913-94D3-D5350D91F3F2.jpeg 37B6FEF1-8984-40C2-8473-66982DF29A65.jpeg will be layered and then carbon filter inserted.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I’m thinking of the movies I’ve seen where they find corpses in the walls... you’ve got the perfect place to hide your victims, and the carbon to hide the odor! Room for your friends to hide their victims too. You’re enemies should be concerned (but, you seem like a nice fellow, probably no enemies at all.) :)

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I’m thinking of the movies I’ve seen where they find corpses in the walls... you’ve got the perfect place to hide your victims, and the carbon to hide the odor! Room for your friends to hide their victims too. You’re enemies should be concerned (but, you seem like a nice fellow, probably no enemies at all.) :)

Lol that was funny! Thanks Bob

Reactions: christoph

Dentdog

Jan 5, 2014
Atlanta
Hi Hugh,

Ever since my first foray into creating a listening room a few things have been brought to my attention. One being JPS wire for the runs from the panel to receptacles. Might want to check it out if you haven't selected your wire.
Pretty spendy though.
I will say Dennis' ideas are a cut above whatever else is out there. I actually think you will exceed your own expectations.

Last edited:

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hi Dentdog
Well I have been researching in wall wire. It’s all over the map. Some like cryo some don’t. Some think snake oil others think it’s a must.

Basically I want to do no harm. I have the Torus 60amp in wall system. I want to do good wiring but also dont want the wire to introduce its own sound. It also has to be code in wall rated. JPS sounds interesting but I could not find in wall wire on the web site. As far as cryo Romex, some think it actually degrades the sound (Ag forum threads). What do you guys think?

Dentdog

Jan 5, 2014
Atlanta
Hugh,
Can't really say as to better or not.
I cut my wall and ran 10 gauge romex. Didn't know different.
Go to JPS Labs AC Power cables and scroll down, the wire is near the bottom.
I have very efficient speakers but no one told me that AC noise would be a problem. I too have a wall unit, Equi=Tech 5Kv and run a Balanced Power Technologies unit on my front end.
IMO dirty power craps all over your music reproduction.
The JPS wire purports to be quiet.
If you can get into your wall to change things later great. but if it's in there for good it's worth the research.

Reactions: PeterA

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Thank you I found it once I got on my PC. No price, will call them. edit: dealer the cable comp has it $30 pf.

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Hi Dentdog
Well I have been researching in wall wire. It’s all over the map. Some like cryo some don’t. Some think snake oil others think it’s a must.

Basically I want to do no harm. I have the Torus 60amp in wall system. I want to do good wiring but also dont want the wire to introduce its own sound. It also has to be code in wall rated. JPS sounds interesting but I could not find in wall wire on the web site. As far as cryo Romex, some think it actually degrades the sound (Ag forum threads). What do you guys think?

My choice was Oyaide 2.0mm but if you want larger they make a 2.6mm 30a cable. It doesn’t appear to have its own sound and is quieter than the generic Belden. It could be an alternative to JPS if it passes US code.
http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/power_cord/pg466.html

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Rafters going in. LVL beams actually. I started with engineered i joists but Dennis said not enough mass. I can park a concrete truck on top of this but that’s not the point. His Ray trace did like the mass.

Attachments

• 888A9B92-A77B-4671-908B-3DB23B28D189.jpeg
    888A9B92-A77B-4671-908B-3DB23B28D189.jpeg
    729.6 KB · Views: 193

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing