Demo XXIII - Any Suggestions ?

We're fast approaching November, this is where I ask all my friends around the world to share the most amazing music they heard during this year. So to reiterate, not looking for the best recording of fleas farting in stereo. Has to be terrific music, first & foremost. But ideally, needs to be well recorded. Sorry, not looking for the best recording/remastering of an eighties rock band that always sounded dreadful but has wormed a place into our hearts.
So let's include some new music.

We try to put in a smattering of:
Blues - quite often simple, well-recorded productions. Can often deliver the message of passion & emotion.
Classical, large scale, such as orchestral, but could be an excerpt from a piano or violin concerto. I confess to using Ballet music, because it's more accessible to a wider audience. We occasionally include a short excerpt of an Aria from an Opera, but from my experience at Shows, it tends to clear the room.
Country - Personally I'm more an Alt-Country guy myself. Can't tell you how many Lucinda Williams albums I have. Bahamas & Chris Stapleton on Demo XXII; both are superb both musically & sonically. Bravo
Folk. I have long enjoyed folk. How could I not, growing up in Ireland. Isabeau Corriveau from Montreal has been skimming under the radar for too long.
Heavy Metal. No thanks.
Jazz. Not to avantgarde, please. We are not trying to show off how eclectic our taste is but want to lure music lovers into our hobby.
New Age. Can be wonderful late at night. Not just background music for yoga.
Pop. I enjoy my guilty pleasures as well as the next man. Everyone at home LOVES Polo & Pan, maybe its time to share the love on Demo XXIII ?
Rap. No thanks.
Rock. Finding well recorded classic rock is always tricky. I'm keen on using a track from Intervention Record's "Joan Armatrading" on Demo XXIII.
Soul and R&B, maybe a little Hip Hop. This is a HUGE genre filled with many jewels.
World. I suppose we should include the Brasilian music here. Monica Salmaso has long been a favourite of mine. Not to mention Kevin Johansen from Argentina. Virginia Rodrigues from Peru has the voice of an angel. wonderful

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Philip,

1. Metropolitan - TRACK 2 Interesting context...was introduced to this track by the late Gerard Chretien of Focal Audio during a demo of his Grande Utopia EMs and the Naim Statement

2. Promenade Mussorgsky Pictures - Tughan Sokhiev

3. DJ Krush Cosmic Yard TRACK 2 (Stellar Wind)

4. Sampa the Great Blue Boss

5. Fink...2 choices for you:
A modern take on Henry Purcell's 1691 classic

...pay attention around 1:08 to what happens when he changes up...

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Colter Wall "Western Swing & Waltzes"
Orville Peck "Pony"

Folk:
Damien Jurado "What New Tomboy?" (45 rpm)
Yola "Walk Through The Fire"
First Aid Kit "Ruins"
Tony Molina "Kill The Lights" (45 rpm)
Hollow Hand "Star Chamber"

Jazz:
Christian McBride "For Jimmy, Wes & Oliver"
Wojtek Mazolewski "When Angels Fall"
Ron Carter "Foursight"
Roberto Fonseca "Yesun"
Joscho Stephan "Paris-Berlin"

Pop:
I Was A King "Slow Century"
Donna Missal "Lighter"
Fiona Apple "Fetch The Bolt Cutters"
St. Vincent "MassEducation"

Rock:
Black Keys "Let's Rock" (45 rpm)
David Bowie "ChangesNowBowie" (RSD)
The Raconteurs "Help Us Stranger"
James Hunter Six "Nick of Time" (mono)

Soul/R&B
Michael Kiwanuka "Kiwanuka"
Janelle Monae "Dirty Computer"
Khruangbin/Leon Bridges "Texas Sun"

Last edited:
Reactions: fizzletop
Hi Philip,

1. Metropolitan - TRACK 2 Interesting context...was introduced to this track by the late Gerard Chretien of Focal Audio during a demo of his Grande Utopia EMs and the Naim Statement

2. Promenade Mussorgsky Pictures - Tughan Sokhiev

3. DJ Krush Cosmic Yard TRACK 2 (Stellar Wind)

4. Sampa the Great Blue Boss

5. Fink...2 choices for you:
A modern take on Henry Purcell's 1691 classic

...pay attention around 1:08 to what happens when he changes up...
Thank you so much, I look forward to checking this music. Gerard turned me on to some wonderful music during the Munich Show over the years.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
We're fast approaching November, this is where I ask all my friends around the world to share the most amazing music they heard during this year. So to reiterate, not looking for the best recording of fleas farting in stereo. Has to be terrific music, first & foremost. But ideally, needs to be well recorded. Sorry, not looking for the best recording/remastering of an eighties rock band that always sounded dreadful but has wormed a place into our hearts.
So let's include some new music.

We try to put in a smattering of:
Blues - quite often simple, well-recorded productions. Can often deliver the message of passion & emotion.
Classical, large scale, such as orchestral, but could be an excerpt from a piano or violin concerto. I confess to using Ballet music, because it's more accessible to a wider audience. We occasionally include a short excerpt of an Aria from an Opera, but from my experience at Shows, it tends to clear the room.
Country - Personally I'm more an Alt-Country guy myself. Can't tell you how many Lucinda Williams albums I have. Bahamas & Chris Stapleton on Demo XXII; both are superb both musically & sonically. Bravo
Folk. I have long enjoyed folk. How could I not, growing up in Ireland. Isabeau Corriveau from Montreal has been skimming under the radar for too long.
Heavy Metal. No thanks.
Jazz. Not to avantgarde, please. We are not trying to show off how eclectic our taste is but want to lure music lovers into our hobby.
New Age. Can be wonderful late at night. Not just background music for yoga.
Pop. I enjoy my guilty pleasures as well as the next man. Everyone at home LOVES Polo & Pan, maybe its time to share the love on Demo XXIII ?
Rap. No thanks.
Rock. Finding well recorded classic rock is always tricky. I'm keen on using a track from Intervention Record's "Joan Armatrading" on Demo XXIII.
Soul and R&B, maybe a little Hip Hop. This is a HUGE genre filled with many jewels.
World. I suppose we should include the Brasilian music here. Monica Salmaso has long been a favourite of mine. Not to mention Kevin Johansen from Argentina. Virginia Rodrigues from Peru has the voice of an angel. wonderful

Some might consider these as "new age" but I just consider these to be instrumental. The artist is David Arkenstone whose music I've recently come to appreciate.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

You being brought up in Ireland I'm a bit surprised you did not include Celtic music in your list of categories. :)
Again, this is David Arkenstone and though I don't know how authentic this Celtic piece is, I find some Celtic music rather exhilerating and even inspirational. Like this piece.

Reactions: Philip O Hanlon

Some might consider these as "new age" but I just consider these to be instrumental. The artist is David Arkenstone whose music I've recently come to appreciate.
I added Winds Of Change to the candidates for Demo XXIII; there are currently over 40 songs in the playlist, with more wonderful music arriving every day. Over the Christmas holidays, we usually have many listening sessions and select the most compelling songs. It's truly a labour of love; some friends devoting a huge amount of time to audition the latest & greatest pop music. Others chime in with classical or jazz selections. Very much a collective effort; much appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I added Winds Of Change to the candidates for Demo XXIII; there are currently over 40 songs in the playlist, with more wonderful music arriving every day. Over the Christmas holidays, we usually have many listening sessions and select the most compelling songs. It's truly a labour of love; some friends devoting a huge amount of time to audition the latest & greatest pop music. Others chime in with classical or jazz selections. Very much a collective effort; much appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, Philip. I read one of your blurbs the other day and you seem like a pretty jovial fellow. Seems to coincide quite well with your picture. :)

Here's a little gem for christmas as well as the rest of the year. She's quite a story teller and as I recall for this particular album she had nice list of who's who playing along with her.

Last edited:

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
How about Meena Cryle "It makes me scream". I really like the live album. A little SRV-esque

Here is a youtube link.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How about Meena Cryle "It makes me scream". I really like the live album. A little SRV-esque

Here is a youtube link.
Interesting...did some listening and found the album. Bought the CD. Thanks!

Here is a youtube link.
Beautiful soul and Chris Filmore's guitar is superb. Starts out a little too SRV, but moves past that. Bought the LP from Tower Records in Ireland, hope it's well recorded ? Fantastic recommendation - thanks.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Phillip/Lloyd, i hope you got the live in conert with the chris filmore band.

Attachments

• D66C0975-5F27-4C4E-9AAC-06CB1DD17D81.jpeg
    D66C0975-5F27-4C4E-9AAC-06CB1DD17D81.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 3

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks...yes, that is the one I ordered...super hard to find on CD! I got it from Continental Records.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
If I might offer another of my favorite songs that I think is easily overlooked by the audiophile community. I am not a huge country fan but there is some good stuff in this genre. Chris Stapleton is a very talented songwriter/singer but a lot of it is just not recorded very well. This particular song has very nice sonics and Mr. Stapleton really infuses emotion into the lyrics.

Chris Stapleton -- "Death Row"

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015

Hi Phillip = I had the pleasure of hearing this track through your fabulous system at RMAF a couple of years back. Have a gratitude rich 2021!
Michael

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
try a bit of electronica in full resolution - sublime - you may surprise yourself

rando

Sep 22, 2019
They finally released this (on vinyl a few days ago) so I'm holding out for it showing up on Qobuz. Full album was posted on his Youtube account at least.

I've been enjoying this track off one of the few planned releases that made it out this year.

P.S. I do think Polo & Pan (festival music) would be an odd choice for this year if that makes any difference in your selection criteria.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hey Philip, i've been a slacker on this. latest Blake Mills album is one of the best out there and very well recorded. Half a dozen tracks could be on a demo. Here's the first music video.

Waxahatchee could be my album of the year - not as well recorded as the first but surprisingly decent.

Lapsley is some modern female vocals with electronica

If you want to hear some weird stuff, check out Beatrice Dillon "Workaround 3" on Tidal (no YouTube).

If you want to hear some weirder stuff, check out the Nicholas Lens & Nick Cave on DG:

And for the holidays, A Very Chilly Christmas is great :)

Cheers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If I might offer another of my favorite songs that I think is easily overlooked by the audiophile community. I am not a huge country fan but there is some good stuff in this genre. Chris Stapleton is a very talented songwriter/singer but a lot of it is just not recorded very well. This particular song has very nice sonics and Mr. Stapleton really infuses emotion into the lyrics.

Chris Stapleton -- "Death Row"

The album just arrived...great stuff! Thanks for the recommendation!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just arrived! Listening to it now! Thanks again! Yes, this is the same album you recommended...the Live in Concert!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing