Detailed Speaker Setup and Optimization

This is a pretty low bar test to find the least worst reverberent field in the room around the vocal range ... I don't think it tells you a great deal.
In my living room I have a perforated corrugated metal ceiling with an absorbtion coefficient of 1
My voice sounds exactly the same against the wall or anywhere else in the room ... so it changes with acoustic design.
I guess this assumes no acoustic treatment of the space
A delayed , correlated reverberent tail in the listening area is what you want... that is both clear and lively

Phil
I never said the WASP method is the end of the road. It is simple and quick method to find a good spot for the speakers. (Good. probably not the best). It was developed by Dave Wilson as a method that he could teach his dealers to quickly setup speakers. Dealers don't have days or weeks to setup speakers. The other thing is the zone it finds is relatively close to the font wall which is where most people in a "normal" living environment want their speakers. The thing Dave never mentions is that you can find other "zones" in the room where your voice will sound natural. Look at the pictures of the setup of the speakers in his room. They are well out from the wall. But that is irrelevant for a dealer setting up a pair of speakers because 99% of their clients can't or won't put the speakers that far away from the wall.

Rex is exploring "HOW" to do this. He needs some structure and he needs to develop some listening skill. IMHO the first skill anyone needs to acquire is how to find spots where the bass works. The WASP method does a good job of that.

Reactions: Elliot G.
I can put my speakers where I want. They are both open baffle.

What is delayed, corrolated reverberant tail.

I have REW and a Uni 1 mic now.

Also, with my peaked ceiling, I am open to stripping drywall and packing rickwool, then laying cloth over the top. I will use a few tube traps as needed.

Last edited:
Also, with my peaked ceiling, I am open to stripping drywall and packing rickwool, then laying cloth over the top. I will use a few tube traps as needed.
Run the room sim in REW for the best response from 20hz to 300. This is where most gains in clarity are found.

I never said the WASP method is the end of the road. It is simple and quick method to find a good spot for the speakers. (Good. probably not the best). It was developed by Dave Wilson as a method that he could teach his dealers to quickly setup speakers. Dealers don't have days or weeks to setup speakers. The other thing is the zone it finds is relatively close to the font wall which is where most people in a "normal" living environment want their speakers. The thing Dave never mentions is that you can find other "zones" in the room where your voice will sound natural. Look at the pictures of the setup of the speakers in his room. They are well out from the wall. But that is irrelevant for a dealer setting up a pair of speakers because 99% of their clients can't or won't put the speakers that far away from the wall.

Rex is exploring "HOW" to do this. He needs some structure and he needs to develop some listening skill. IMHO the first skill anyone needs to acquire is how to find spots where the bass works. The WASP method does a good job of that.
Fair enough... although I don't think it gives you a lot of info re bass

Reactions: Elliot G.

Agreed, I also suggested the two methods as a place for someone that does not know how to set up speakers as a place to start. This place is a beginning and a way to at least find a reasonable place in the room for someone to get a decent result. There is no substitute for experience and knowledge however even experts need to start somewhere. Todd is correct that the overwhelming majority of end users don't have a dedicated space and will not place the speakers way out in the middle of their room. The two methods take a lot of the searching for mysteries without any clues out of the process. Nothing is the only way or the perfect way but these methods and Jim Smith's book certainly are very helpful for those who just need some quality help.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing