Do Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Re-issues Have a Digital Step in the Process?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sincere question: does the digital vinyl sound better on their TT / cart / phono than the native digital dsd 256 on their dac?

Best.

yes Vertere demoed this at his place. Digitally sourced vinyl compared with the digital files played back through the same benchmark dac it was recorded on.

the vinyl sounds better. He said if this compare had been done in the studio where it was recorded, in the same conditions, it would have been equal, but at his place, the vinyl playback conditions are better than the digital playback conditions

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
He said if this compare had been done in the studio where it was recorded, in the same conditions, it would have been equal
I doubt that.

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
I'm curious how many here would like to see MOFI go out of business because of their deception.
As someone who wants MQA Ltd out of business, I don’t want Mobile Fidelity gone. I believe adequate remediation would for Mobile Fidelity would be for them to return to their roots occasionally and record steam engines and rare racing cars. And promise to record the surviving Baldwin RF-16s when they are returned to operating condition.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
You are far too trusting. How do you know they are quality SACDs? If MoFi deceived so many regarding AAA vinyl how do we know they are really doing what they claim to do on their SACDs?
Hell, the SACD's could just be upsampled CD's.. !!!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just look at the photos of the tape machines owned by several cutting facilities accepting analog tape masters - they do not have the look ahead loop system, relying on a digital delay line and computer system to space the grooves.
Here's what a "vinyl" tape machine looks like. It's a screen grab of the machine I had. This machine belonged to Bruce Swedien and I purchased it from his estate, along with "a few tapes"!

Attachments

• studer.JPG
    studer.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sincere question: does the digital vinyl sound better on their TT / cart / phono than the native digital dsd 256 on their dac?

Best.

It surely sounds different. "Sound better" is a question of preference - if you take professional sound engineers they will probably pick the DSD256 because it sounds closer to what they are used to listen in their control rooms.

It is curious that no one refers to the full technical details of their DSD256 ADC and DAC.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
In the interest of intellectual honesty, for the record, I have to admit to being wrong about the lawsuit question. I did not think that even on a class action basis a plaintiff’s firm would be confident enough about proving damages to commence a lawsuit.

I did not appreciate the business model of class action plaintiffs’ attorneys simply to file a lawsuit speculatively at a small initial expense outlay, see if they can get a class certified, and then angle for a settlement.
The plaintiffs are going to have to show they are reasonable consumers. You would have a tough time based on your speakers and amps, by either price or weight. They probably will too.

I downloaded the complaint form PACER and the lawyers missed a few things.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I'm curious how many here would like to see MOFI go out of business because of their deception.
I wouldn't lose any sleep if they did. Karma's a bitch. I'm surprised they thought they would never get found out.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
i get there is an 'ignore' button for specific members, but is there an 'ignore' button for particular topics so i can't see them in the 'new posts' list?

Mike,

Sorry you aren’t enjoying the discussion. But you may “unwatch“ the thread at the top right just above the discussion. That way you shouldn’t get any more notifications for this thread.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mike,

Sorry you aren’t enjoying the discussion. But you may “unwatch“ the thread at the top right just above the discussion. That way you shouldn’t get any more notifications for this thread.

it still comes up on news feed. problem is like many threads this is now on repeat.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
davidavdavid reported this lawsuit on this thread early Tuesday morning at Post #585.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Just look at the photos of the tape machines owned by several cutting facilities accepting analog tape masters - they do not have the look ahead loop system, relying on a digital delay line and computer system to space the grooves.
That all depends on the mastering facility. The way we did it was to create a motion file which then was synchronized when the cut was made. But you could do that with analog just as easily. So the tape machine really isn't going to tell you anything unless you can see the preview head on it.
Please, you know what the opposite is of analog.
OK- I think in a nutshell I simply have not understood what you were trying to say. It sounded like you were saying that mastering houses use an algorythm for mastering so skilled lathe operators are no longer needed. If that is what you meant, its simply incorrect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing