"Do Vinyl Records Actually Sound Better Than CDs? We Take A Closer Look" in Slashgear

Like an old west gunslinger, do you file down your umbrage trigger?
You got set off by my saying that the appeal of streaming is convenience?

Why am I thinking of Tchaikovsky's 6th.
It’s the dismissive tone combined with lack of experience. You’re too good a writer to not get that. When I think “convenience“ I think 7-Eleven and Jiffy Lube.

I think for many on this forum, convenience is not topping the list for why they stream. Speaking for myself, it’s having access to the world’s great music for the love of music. And the sq is very, very good (recording dependent)..

Reactions: Argonaut
Take a look at Al M’s recent write ups of Steve Williams system as well as JimFord’s system.
Do you have a list of the LPs used for audition, and any videos?

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.
It’s the dismissive tone combined with lack of experience. You’re too good a writer to not get that. When I think “convenience“ I think 7-Eleven and Jiffy Lube.

I think for many on this forum, convenience is not topping the list for why they stream. Speaking for myself, it’s having access to the world’s great music for the love of music. And the sq is very, very good (recording dependent)..

You know nothing of my experience and have not figured out that the tone is in your head. You just admitted as much with your own association of convenience to Jiffy Lube.

I see a streamer as an appliance that makes it easy to choose the music you want to hear from a streaming service while parsing through a multitude of data formats. Compared to tape, CD or vinyl, having "access to the world's great music" by using a streamer's menu with a pointer or remote is convenience.

Cop a chill -- it's an audio forum -- don't work so hard at being offended and you'll have more fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Dentdog and Johan K
I wonder does it ever occur to those Cd/digital advocates why almost all praised music was released before the Cd era. Do they ever consider recording medium and format (analog or digital) has a role on released music’s acceptance and emotional engagement by the consumer besides many other things?
Almost all praised music or almost all praised recordings… there is a world of difference between those two notions.

Almost all praised music or almost all praised recordings… there is a world of difference between those two notions.
Yes, but it still doesn’t change the fact that we can’t get as much good music as we get before the Cd era.

Reactions: tima
Yes, but it still doesn’t change the fact that we can’t get as much good music as we get before the Cd era.

I suspect a partial culprit is the downsizing of the classical music performance genre. Funding is substantially reduced and record labels no longer own have stables of star conductors, performers and orchestras. In 1962 EMI posted a £4.4 million profit on sales of £82.5 million. Think Bernstein on Columbia, Glenn Gould on CBS Masterworks, the Beatles on Capitol, Heifetz and Elvis on RCA. DG's production of a complete Beethoven symphony box set with von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic ran at 1.5 million Deutschmarks. It's all gone, the dynamic has changed. Nowadays, orchestra try to scrimp by with their own recording labels.

Reccommended reading: "Life and Death of Classical Music" by Norman Lebrecht, ISBN-13: 978-0141028514

Reactions: mtemur
So every great musician on the planet suddenly became second rate that week? That virtually no music at all written or performed since the digital era is worthy of any praise at all?

Reactions: facten and pjwd

Also, recordings praised by whom? By vinyl enthusiasts loving the so-called golden age? It's a self-reenforcing opinion among like-minded enthusiasts.

Of course they will not praise modern recordings snd modern performances because that's after all-analog vinyl, and they are not interested in them.

So every great musician on the planet suddenly became second rate that week? That virtually no music at all written or performed since the digital era is worthy of any praise at all?
No, but the recording quality nose dived. What percentage of recordings on streaming services would you say are acceptable? I would put it at less than 10%.

Reactions: mtemur and bonzo75
Not only great music, but great recordings as well.

Also, recordings praised by whom? By vinyl enthusiasts loving the so-called golden age? It's a self-reenforcing opinion among like-minded enthusiasts.

Of course they will not praise modern recordings snd modern performances because that's after all-analog vinyl, and they are not interested in them.
I think many of us would recognise that the best analogue recordings represent what may sit at the peak of recording but that’s just about sonics.

Even if we just looked to well regarded musicians, music reviewers and musicologists we’d still find plenty who’d praise a huge amount of music recorded in the digital era. If we extended that to music lovers there’d be plenty of evidence of praise and genuine music appreciation that lives on healthily into the future.

Our hobby grew out of music, not the other way around.

The history of recording technology is on its own trajectory which has nothing much to do with the history of music which predates all our analogue and digital foibles… to suggest musicians stopped being worthy of praise because of the shifts of technology is a niche and respectfully possibly even myopic view. Thank heavens musicians pay little attention to audiophiles and didn’t give up on their art just because of the recording industry or the opinions of a few.

No, but the recording quality nose dived. What percentage of recordings on streaming services would you say are acceptable? I would put it at less than 10%.
Rexp, that’s just ridiculously inaccurate from my experience.

Reactions: Al M.
We’re talking about the music though… nothing to do with how it’s recorded.

We’re talking about the music though… nothing to do with how it’s recorded.
No, we are talking about how music is recorded and the format it’s presented. This affects people who consume music and more importantly affects how the music is produced. It’s a circle.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Rexp
Actually, I was being charitable...

You must mean over-processed pop recordings. Recordings of classical music are a different matter.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75
No, we are talking about how music is recorded and the format it’s presented. This affects people who consume music and more importantly affects how the music is produced. It’s a circle.

Nonsense. People primarily care about the music. Only audiophiles care so much about the sound that it will inform what they listen to.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu