Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
as I quickly learned and would give the same advice to prospective Extreme owners.... let Emile set it up. This is his baby and brain child. It’s not his first rodeo. Truly he will have you up and running even remotely. Let him do the setup. There are so many things that can be changed. He asked me with each one and he did the input. I’m happy with the outcome.

I will give him full bandwidth - I will only power the system and connect the cables! He has other customers with Vivaldi systems, it should be a quick set-up. How are you controlling the system?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats STeve! Look forward to reading about the final step in your tremendous system!

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
it was a whirlwind visit but rewarding in every way

Big thanks and a huge shout out to Emile for taking the time to stop in SoCal and easily making me a believer in his Extreme

I haven't stopped listening

Roon.....OMG where have you been hiding. The metadata it supplies is simply amazing.

I subscribed to Qobuz and to Tidal HiFi and am simply amazed at the sound.

I have had the unit on and running now for about 10 days and it is changing daily as to sound quality. I am still however nowhere near 1200 hours

What also amazed me is that Emile copied my entire digital library from my NAS to the Extreme in 6 hours whereas it normally takes me about 10 days to do it. He imported the data using the Extreme which transfers data at 1 Gb/s whereas with my laptop I was restricted to 100 Mb/s so in essence it was 10 times the speed. Then to see wha Roon had done to and how it organized my library was amazing

OK, I am a believer and a looking forward to the final piece of my end game puzzle, my new DAC....stay tuned
Congratulations Steve, Roon with Tidal and Qobuz changes the way you forever discover more and more amazing music, so glad you are enjoying a brave new and unfolding musical world.

The Extreme as a foundation as server seems very much the ideal investment in going forward and exploring streaming for an even more diverse music based future. Great choice. Looking forward to the new dac arriving. Hope it’s pretty. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congrats Steve! Did you mean 12 hrs here or you actually meant 1200?

Probably for burn-in, not for charging. Otherwise every time we switch the power off we would need the 1200 hours for full performance again!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Steve, for the Extreme, and what's to come too. wink, wink, nod, nod.;);):):)

welcome to streaming. but no doubt Extreme internal PCIe files still kick their ass. don't ignore downloading higher rez PCM files onto your PCIe internal drives. almost all music is high rez PCM sourced, and these native files on your drives will be the best sounding ones.

Emile and Ted (and Joined by Ed) did happen to end up at my home yesterday for a brief 12 hour listening session. it was my great pleasure to meet Emile and Ted, and see Ed again. now they wind their way east ward.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
apparently the capacitors Emile uses in the Extreme require 1200 hours (12 would be nice)
That's very hard to believe for charging. I certainly hope that NASA doesn't use those capacitors. "Sorry Apollo, we can't fire those engines for your return flight as the capacitors take about 2 mo to charge" :eek:

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Why final?

Good point...i somehow took this in the first quick read and thought 'end game' meant 'final'...

It's been many months since I have reported on anything new or different in my system....

...I find that I have come to a time and place in my life where I have totally concocted my "end game".IOW what do I need to do to bring my system to its end point around which I plan on sailing off into the sunset. ...

...As a result I knew what I needed to make my system complete in every way to bring my "end game" to fruition...

...So what is it, you might ask that is on my radar that will bring my system to its end point...

I knew that what I was going to buy had to be future proof as well as supplying me with the very best music...I decided that I needed only 2 things

1. A music server

2. An up to date DAC...

Stay tuned for the epilog to the story...........

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Good point...i somehow took this in the first quick read and thought 'end game' meant 'final'...
That’s exactly what I meant. For me it’s bringing my system to a level that becomes future proof and plays everything well. I am hoping this final piece to my puzzle will bring me end game.
ive spent too many of my early years chasing a sound or something that gives me goose bumps. In the past 3 years I made 3 changes to my system that to my ears have achieved that effect. Now in the past 2 weeks bringing the Extreme and digital back to my system and allowing me to stream with this beast Emile calls Extreme. It makes listening to music not only a sonic improvement over what I had heretofore but do also a learning more about the music itself. Roon for me is huge.
The final piece is for the DAC. Many of the older photos of my gear have always shown several empty shelves. They’ve been there all this time for a reason.

So yes, end game for me. It would be speakers next but only way that’ll happen is if I win the lottery.

ive been on this path longer than many of you here are old. Audio is a path that hopefully brings a destination And for me I’m betting that’ll be the case. It so then it truly becomes “ all about the music”

Reactions: the sound of Tao

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well Steve, thinking all the way back to the days of Audiogon when i used to read (and re-read and re-read) your system, and enjoy looking at those pictures and hundreds of comments (if not thousands?)...didnt you have a still shot on a huge screen from an animated movie with a mouse in its cooking or something?...
...i have enjoyed every letter, every word and every new change...truly.

And i know there is yet a ways to go on 1200 hours and also the new digital...looking forward to the epilogue...and who knows...there is also that jackpot moment to think about! ;)

Reactions: microstrip

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for all the hard work which has led from that one amazing thread to a huge, world-class website!!!

Reactions: HughP3

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) So yes, end game for me. It would be speakers next but only way that’ll happen is if I win the lottery. (...)

Now I am really curious. Which speaker are you considering that needs the lottery? :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing