Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

."...end game.." for an audiophile?

Reactions: christoph
Yup

i have had those empty shelves in my racks for the past 3 years. They were there for a reason. I’m just having too much fun and enjoyment with what I have and know the Extreme and new DAC complete the pieces and fill those shelves. I’ve been in my room it seems non stop since Emile installed the Extreme. To me using Roon with Tidal and Qobuz is like finding the internet for the first time. I’ve been listenimg to DSD 256 most of the day.

It matters not. I’m not buying lottery tickets.

End game Peter. You seem to be there and are eternally happy

It was only idle speculation, Steve, because Fransisco asked the question and we all like to spend other people's money. I'm not at the end yet. I'm still playing with adding a second arm and trying new cartridges. And then who knows? There is no end to dreaming and what ifs. And there is endless amounts of new music on LP that is yet to be discovered.

I have been looking for many months for an ideal light to sit behind my equipment or even better a light that is not only bright enough but one that is slim and sleek enough to be able to sit on one of my shelves.

I finally found it 2 days ago while we were in New York City for several days visiting Marty and his wife. We spent an entire afternoon at the recently reopened Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) gift shop. We were finished touring the museum and on the way out we happened to stop in the gift shop and it was there that I found it. This light has won the Gift of the Year Award for its design and function. It is totally wireless as it charges by a USB connector with a battery charge life of 4-48 hours depending on how long it is on and at what brightness

The lights are entirely LED and the light is long thin and flat sitting on an Octagon that houses the rechargeable battery. The Octagon allows for 3 different positions of the light. Because it is wireless (which I had been seeking) there is zero noise imparted to the system and its size and weight make it easy to move from one component to the next if need be. For me it serves primarily by sitting on the shelf behind my turntable

What really makes the light interesting is that it has a touch sensor with 5 positions....low, medium, high, highest and off. At the highest level it literally produces enough light to illuminate my room

Finally the good news was the price.....all of $85 USD and it donates money to a worthy cause (MoMA). It is machine billeted aluminum that comes in 3 finishes.....black, white and mahogany. I bought mine in black

Reactions: KeithR
Does the light turn down platter facing or does it shine in your face while changing records?

Does the light turn down platter facing or does it shine in your face while changing records?

Touch the on switch once and it shines low , touch again and it is medium, touch again and it is bright, touch again and it is extra bright.Touch again and it goes off. IOW 4 levels of brightness

The octagon allow you to change to 3 different positions. If it shines in your face all you do is move the paddle with the light so that it doesn't:)

Plus it is slim enough that it allows me extra light behind my racks

As soon as I saw it I knew that was the one and it is very well built, adds no extraneous noise to your system as it is a rechargeable battery and the light given off is amazing. And to have it help MoMA was also good for me

Touch the on switch once and it shines low , touch again and it is medium, touch again and it is bright, touch again and it is extra bright.Touch again and it goes off. IOW 4 levels of brightness

Plus it is slim enough that it allows me extra light behind my racks

From past experience that alone is value exceeded. :D To be able to grab it no wires attached and position it behind the racks where needed is very cool.
Benefiting a good cause is also a plus, enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing