Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

I'm always amazed when people render opinions on the sound of a room by looking at a picture.

As a general rule I would agree. However, some rooms just scream 'hideous' and you don't even have to have psychic abilities when you see the picture.

OK. I'm not going to argue with that. But I was referring to the width of the room rather than the length of the room.

Listening to XLF's and 2 x Thor's Hammers in Dave's 30 x 40 x 16 room now. These bad boys need SPACE!

with two Thor's? I wouldn't doubt that. if his room is 40' long with a 30' width, he could probably use another ~15 feet or so on the length of the room. That might do it... There's length to width ratios a lot of these acoustic engineers use is what I always hear when it comes to designing the proper room. Oh, ya gotta get rid of the 90 degree angles..

As a general rule I would agree. However, some rooms just scream 'hideous' and you don't even have to have psychic abilities when you see the picture.

Prison showers, empty swimming pools, Hitler's bunker........

None of which are Steve's :D

I now have almost 400 hours on my pair of Shunyata Alpha High Current power cords and I have had much more time with critical evaluation of these cables

What I am finding is that they are incredibly neutral across the sound spectrum. I haven't been able to compare these cables to the Anaconda but have been able to compare the cable to my prior Nordost Valhalla. IMO the Valhalla seems to be extended in the treble as compared to the Alpha HC, so much so that as I have said before the Valhalla seems bright in retrospect when compared to the Alpha HC. Where I have found the biggest bang for the buck in the Alpha is that the bottom end and mid bass is far more articulate and better defined than the Valhalla.

I just find that this cable at $1250 is such a bargain that it is difficult to pass up an opportunity to audition it. Jump at the chance if it comes your way. It really is that good and will perform well in any system. This cable needs many hours of break in before the magic becomes evident

I now have almost 400 hours on my pair of Shunyata Alpha High Current power cords and I have had much more time with critical evaluation of these cables

What I am finding is that they are incredibly neutral across the sound spectrum. I haven't been able to compare these cables to the Anaconda but have been able to compare the cable to my prior Nordost Valhalla. IMO the Valhalla seems to be extended in the treble as compared to the Alpha HC, so much so that as I have said before the Valhalla seems bright in retrospect when compared to the Alpha HC. Where I have found the biggest bang for the buck in the Alpha is that the bottom end and mid bass is far more articulate and better defined than the Valhalla.

I just find that this cable at $1250 is such a bargain that it is difficult to pass up an opportunity to audition it. Jump at the chance if it comes your way. It really is that good and will perform well in any system. This cable needs many hours of break in before the magic becomes evident

Good info. I believe they are $1195 a piece though, not $995.

Based on this thread and conversations with Caelin, I've ordered 2 Alpha HC, 2 Alpha Analogs and 1 Alpha Digital.

I received the 2 Alpha Analogs yesterday but the other three will take a bit longer.

These will be replacing MIT ZIII's (assuming I like them better).

I'm really looking forward to trying these!

Based on this thread and conversations with Caelin, I've ordered 2 Alpha HC, 2 Alpha Analogs and 1 Alpha Digital.

I received the 2 Alpha Analogs yesterday but the other three will take a bit longer.

Turn on your system and don't listen for at least a week

I have a pair of Alpha HC for my amps and an Alpha Digital from my Playback Designs to the Triton

I plan on adding a pair of Alpha Analog for my preamp

You got me thinking may be I should throw in an alpha analog with my order to try on my pre-amp (currently using anaconda as well....).

You got me thinking may be I should throw in an alpha analog with my order to try on my pre-amp (currently using anaconda as well....).

What the hell. Ordered an Alpha Analog as well. Anacodas may be on the way out, with the exception of umbilicals.

What the hell. Ordered an Alpha Analog as well. Anacodas may be on the way out, with the exception of umbilicals.

They may be but I think you're stretching it replacing Anacondas with Alphas. At the most you may get similar performance, I doubt you'll get better.

Steve -- After your Alpha digital power cord has been burned in, you may want to try your Playback deck directly into the wall outlet, bypassing the Triton. I have found better performance (more open highs and mids) by doing so with my Spectral 4000SL disc player. It will cost you nothing to try and may net an even better result. I know that it is very equipment brand dependent, as my Audio Research CD8 sounds better with the Alpha Digital into the Triton. Again try both ways! Happy Listening! Best, Rob

Steve -- After your Alpha digital power cord has been burned in, you may want to try your Playback deck directly into the wall outlet, bypassing the Triton. I have found better performance (more open highs and mids) by doing so with my Spectral 4000SL disc player. It will cost you nothing to try and may net an even better result. I know that it is very equipment brand dependent, as my Audio Research CD8 sounds better with the Alpha Digital into the Triton. Again try both ways! Happy Listening! Best, Rob

That is very interesting. I must admit that I also thought of that. Seems to me the Alpha Digital with its filters would sound just fine going into the wall rather than into the Triton. Presently I do have my Alpha Digital going to the Triton

Not necessarily better Frank. Perhaps somewhat different but the price differential on the two cables is what has people thinking

I agree Steve, if I was just now starting to buy Shunyata power cords, I would definitely go for the Alpha option. I'm only suggesting to edorr that replacing already acquired Anacondas with Alphas may not be the best allocation of funds.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing