Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

The technology pockets of the Ultra 5 are in the beveled half of the product. Not in between the 2 halves.

Thanks for the clarification John. Regarding Ultra 5's, should the beveled side be against the component bottom, meaning the pockets of technology are closer to the vibrating/resonating device ?

Thanks for the clarification John. Regarding Ultra 5's, should the beveled side be against the component bottom, meaning the pockets of technology are closer to the vibrating/resonating device ?

On the Ultra 5's that I experimented with, the threaded insert was on the flat side, not the beveled side. So if the beveled side, which has the pockets of technology in them, is meant to be near the vibrating surface, how can one also use the threaded inserts to go into the bottom of the speakers? Perhaps the Ultra 5's should be placed flush under the speakers without the threads inserted.

Or in the case of speakers, perhaps the vibrating/resonating surface is in fact the floor, not the speaker. Then your question makes more sense.

Stillpoints Products Placement Suggestions

The best possible I can explain for this is that it relates whatever is inside the component that is most sensitive to vibration. My 'reasoning' is that I also have experimented with placing dampers on each of my components...and strangely I found the an off-centre spot on my CJ GAT benefited from placed an Ultra 5 on top. I thought for weeks it was hocus pocus, and since it was off-centre, it kept bugging me. But every time I centered it...the benefits disappeared (and were not replaced with anything better no matter where else I placed it...only this one spot).

I then [randomly] saw a photo of the interior of the CJ GAT...and saw that there is some circuitry EXACTLY underneath the spot where my Ultra 5 sits...and this circuitry is NOT duplicated on the opposite/parallel side...it is only on the left side coming off the power inlet.

I suppose that placing the Ultra 5 closest to the vibration-sensitive parts of your equipment can make that much of a difference. Of course, as the old saying goes...YMMV! Hope that helps. Good luck.

Yes, this is exactly the kind of experimenting we strongly encourage for exactly the reason you wrote about. We know through our experiences finding those "sweet" spots on and under components that correspond to internal components known to vibrate; transformers, transports, etc, optimize the performance of our products. Some users, though, cannot get past the non-symmetric cosmetic of locating the product using these guidelines. I think it's a shame to miss out on optimized performance.

Stillpoints Use Guidelines

Why the credit card space between the still points and speakers? Just curious...

Leaving a space between the Stillpoints product and component being isolated creates a non-linear path through which the vibration has to travel allowing quicker and more thorough dissipation of that energy.

Could you clarify one point? I was under the assumption that you would/could order the "screw" that matches Wilson's threading to screw into the speaker and the top of the 5"s. This would eliminate and sliding around.

Thanks, Jim

Yes, we make a 3/6-16 to 1/4-20 adapter for Wilson speakers. Attaching is better because it allows for the space between our product and the component being isolated.

FYI - nice goat in your avatar...

Hi Steve, here is my experience on this point, since I was one of the people who found placement to make a difference. I had placed the Stillpoints Ultra 5s under my components as a trial...just stuck them underneath. Then I flipped them the other way around just to see what would happen. Big difference and not for the better. That got me thinking, and I noticed that as I moved them around (not always symmetrically) I found the sound to change.

The best possible I can explain for this is that it relates whatever is inside the component that is most sensitive to vibration. My 'reasoning' is that I also have experimented with placing dampers on each of my components...and strangely I found the an off-centre spot on my CJ GAT benefited from placed an Ultra 5 on top. I thought for weeks it was hocus pocus, and since it was off-centre, it kept bugging me. But every time I centered it...the benefits disappeared (and were not replaced with anything better no matter where else I placed it...only this one spot).

I then [randomly] saw a photo of the interior of the CJ GAT...and saw that there is some circuitry EXACTLY underneath the spot where my Ultra 5 sits...and this circuitry is NOT duplicated on the opposite/parallel side...it is only on the left side coming off the power inlet.

I suppose that placing the Ultra 5 closest to the vibration-sensitive parts of your equipment can make that much of a difference. Of course, as the old saying goes...YMMV! Hope that helps. Good luck.

Yes, this is exactly the kind of experimenting we strongly encourage for exactly the reason you wrote about. We know through our experiences finding those "sweet" spots on and under components that correspond to internal components known to vibrate; transformers, transports, etc, optimize the performance of our products. Some users, though, cannot get past the non-symmetric cosmetic of locating the product using these guidelines. I think it's a shame to miss out on optimized performance.

I must admit that my experience with placing Ultra 5's under my speakers was nothing short of astonishing. As a result I would like to make some further additions to my system. Seems the next best places would be under amps and under subs.

I get the technology with respect to placing these UNDER components and speakers but what totally baffles me is how placing Ultra 5's on top of components make such a stunning improvement as well. I just don't get it. Would placing a heavy weight on top of the component rather than one of these expensive Stillpoints produce the same effect and thus minimize some expense.

Perhaps if John is still reading these posts he might be able to offer up some explanation.

The technology pockets of the Ultra 5 are in the beveled half of the product. Not in between the 2 halves.

On the Ultra 5's that I experimented with, the threaded insert was on the flat side, not the beveled side. So if the beveled side, which has the pockets of technology in them, is meant to be near the vibrating surface, how can one also use the threaded inserts to go into the bottom of the speakers? Perhaps the Ultra 5's should be placed flush under the speakers without the threads inserted.

Or in the case of speakers, perhaps the vibrating/resonating surface is in fact the floor, not the speaker. Then your question makes more sense.

Peter

this is a question that I have pondered as well. Perhaps John might offer an explanation. I have been reading that people use these under components with the bevel side up and without adapters

I think John has explained it. There is no "right" answer for every situation, you have to experiment.

I think John has explained it. There is no "right" answer for every situation, you have to experiment.

I understand that

What I don't understand is how an Ultra 5 provides release of vibration because it's not coupled to anything. Hence my question of just a heavy metal weight on top of components

Ah. I was responding to your post immediately above mine. I also am mystified about the philosophy of placing them on top of components.

I understand that

What I don't understand is how an Ultra 5 provides release of vibration because it's not coupled to anything. Hence my question of just a heavy metal weight on top of components

The spring inside them converts the vibration energy into another type of energy. Such as motion and also friction which turns into heat. That's how they get rid of vibrations.

I understand that

I vote for heavy metal weight on top of equipment. There is no way to transfer energy since one end is open-ended (meaning it's not coupled to anything).

I vote for heavy metal weight on top of equipment. There is no way to transfer energy since one end is open-ended (meaning it's not coupled to anything).

I think you should use whatever sounds best. Regardless of the theory. Try both and may the best lump of metal win. It could sound better with nothing on it as well.

The spring inside them converts the vibration energy into another type of energy. Such as motion and also friction which turns into heat. That's how they get rid of vibrations.

If the Stillpoints were actually transferring vibrational energy into thermal energy, you should be able to see and measure the heat delta between the bottom of the Stillpoint that is sitting on top of a component and the top of the Stillpoint that is not coupled to anything with a thermal imager.

If the Stillpoints were actually transferring vibrational energy into thermal energy, you should be able to see and measure the heat delta between the bottom of the Stillpoint that is sitting on top of a component and the top of the Stillpoint that is not coupled to anything with a thermal imager.

Could be. I doubt it would create much heat though.

I think you should use whatever sounds best. Regardless of the theory. Try both and may the best lump of metal win. It could sound better with nothing on it as well.

Sure you should. Especially when the Stillpoint hunk of metal costs $700 each. Maybe the true answer is that you actually need several hundred thousand dollars of them to fully trick out your system and make it sound the best it is capable of. Under speakers, subs, stands, each piece of gear you own including outboard power supplies. Then you have to start placing them on top of each component. Maybe next you start looking at the furniture in your room and start eyeballing that large house plant in the corner and think it could probably use a trio of Stillpoints sitting under it. Ditto for the floor lamps. Then you start looking at your shoes and start thinking about how you could custom design a new pair of shoes with 1/4-20 threads in the soles and you could install a pair of Stillpoints on each shoe for when you are in your listening room and your feet are coupled to the floor. And while the mind is wandering, you saw off a 4" chunk from a 2x4 and drill a hole in the center of it and install a metal insert so you can screw in a Stillpoint. Next you attach a strap from each side of the 2x4 so you can sit the 2x4 on top of your head and secure the straps under your chin. Now any body vibrations you have that are escaping into the room will be transferred to heat and come out of the top of your head through the Stillpoint. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination and bank account.

Doesn't every audiophile have a couple of these kicking around?

6179_2.jpg

Stillpoints work better. I have the walker brass/lead weights. They don't really make much of an audible difference ime...Stillpoint LP1's do depending on the component ect, ect.

Stillpoints work better. I have the walker brass/lead weights. They don't really make much of an audible difference ime...Stillpoint LP1's do depending on the component ect, ect.

I didn't mean that I vote for a heavy metal weight in place of a Stillpoint. I just meant that I think the Stillpoint is acting as a heavy weight and dampening the chassis in the area it's placed if it's unloaded on the other end.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing