Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

As Stillpoint's are not distributed locally I have not been able to try them and I can not post opinions on them. However I have been using the similar Cerafamily products from Finite Elemente Germany http://www.finite-elemente.de/en/accessories/cerafamily for almost a decade and I can confirm their effect in many positions, most of the time inline with the effects being reported in WBF. As I got used to them I only notice them when I take them away ;). IMHO, the more effective was the Ceraball Classic, although I never considered trying the Ceraball Slimline under the turntable - perhaps I should do it soon!

The Finite Elemente site is filled with technical explanations, such as http://www.finite-elemente.de/en/accessories/cerafamily/cera_technologie, and the reviews are also worth reading as they add some extra details on this type of devices.

Recently returned from a listening session at Steve's :p

We listened to master tapes/dubs, DSD128 recordings, and CD.
Irrespective of source, two consistent sonic impressions I had were the system/room providing me an opportunity to characterize recordings -- particularly, my own -- and my enjoyment in listening to a variety of program material.

IOW, Steve's system/room allowed me to assess my microphone placement technique and delight in music...itself.
An environment to work and a place to play...realities which may not necessarily be concomitant :eek: ;)
A rare achievement, indeed :D

The session was informative and satisfying...Thanks Steve and C :cool:

Thanks Sam

I have said so many times here that what I love about this hobby is the friendship that comes from fellow members and music lovers. My wife and I had the privilege of hosting Sam and his lovely wife this weekend at our home. It was truly a fun weekend.

As Sam said we listened to some wonderful pieces of music. What I found most interesting however was Sam's new found love for recording music. Sam brought along a piece of gear which he put into a convenient carrying case. This gear consisted of a microphone preamp and a Korg. Sam gave me a superb description of the mikes he uses when he is recording music at live venues. Sam then played for me some brilliant acoustic guitar music which he recorded in his living room and I have to say it was spectacular. As Sam stated he played several other pieces which he did and just like the guitar piece they were extremely well recorded. Dinner Saturday night at a new Italian restaurant finished off a wonderful day followed by some more listening Sunday morning followed by lunch at my club before Sam and his wife had to head home.

Sam, I can see a new future for you in recording engineering. Your music was wonderful

Finally before Sam and his wife left I introduced them to a few cuts from the music of Buddha Bar.

Well-said, Steve, regarding affirmation of friendships :D
Sonny and I had a delightful time with you and Cathy.
Your B&B -- barista & bartender -- skills are formidable ;)

Stillpoints and the System Approach

I'd be willing to bet they'll make a more apparent difference under the amps, but I wouldn't assume that 4 will be better than 3, and I definitely wouldn't assume that optimal placement will be where the amps' current feet are.

Our experience, in every situation in which we have tested, tells us that 4 is better than 3. Realize that 3 - U5s give you 15 pockets of technology and 4 - U5s give you 20 pockets. As I have stated before, our experience has led us to embrace the system approach. Start with speakers, then isolate power related components, then amplifiers and anything else with large transformers, then back through the rest of the system to the source components. Once the very last component in the system is isolated, the whole system takes a performance leap.

As an example, the very last component to be isolated in my system was to attach 4 - Ultra Minis to the motor pod of my turntable. It was the single biggest sonic improvement realized as I put Stillpoints in my entire system over a period of a year or so.

And yes, it is correct to postulate that moving the isolation around under or on top of components is a necessary exercise that leads to identifying the "sweet spots" where the isolation is most effective. The one caveat is speakers. We always recommend attaching which usually implies replacing the OEM feet at those locations through the use of one of our adapters.

I must admit that my experience with placing Ultra 5's under my speakers was nothing short of astonishing. As a result I would like to make some further additions to my system. Seems the next best places would be under amps and under subs.

I get the technology with respect to placing these UNDER components and speakers but what totally baffles me is how placing Ultra 5's on top of components make such a stunning improvement as well. I just don't get it. Would placing a heavy weight on top of the component rather than one of these expensive Stillpoints produce the same effect and thus minimize some expense.

Perhaps if John is still reading these posts he might be able to offer up some explanation.

Hi Steve, good question. I have not done enough testing using a heavy-whatever on top, as opposed to an LPI, U5, or Ultra SS, to make a definitive statement. That said, I place an LPI on top of my preamp, amp, and SDS. They each provide benefits. Since all 3 devices contain the technology pocket in varying numbers, you have introduced more isolation technology which, in my experience, has never taken a system backwards. Vibration is all over any component in varying degrees. So it follows that isolating on the top can provide the same benefit as isolating underneath, and once again, experimenting to find the spot on top that provides best performance is definitely worthwhile. I can believe that a heavy-whatever can provide damping which could be beneficial but listening with and without will be the only way to know if using "it" results in an improvement. Fun to experiment, though, and potentially rewarding (read better sound and cheaper!) if the result is positive.

Hi Steve, good question. I have not done enough testing using a heavy-whatever on top, as opposed to an LPI, U5, or Ultra SS, to make a definitive statement. That said, I place an LPI on top of my preamp, amp, and SDS. They each provide benefits. Since all 3 devices contain the technology pocket in varying numbers, you have introduced more isolation technology which, in my experience, has never taken a system backwards. Vibration is all over any component in varying degrees. So it follows that isolating on the top can provide the same benefit as isolating underneath, and once again, experimenting to find the spot on top that provides best performance is definitely worthwhile. I can believe that a heavy-whatever can provide damping which could be beneficial but listening with and without will be the only way to know if using "it" results in an improvement. Fun to experiment, though, and potentially rewarding (read better sound and cheaper!) if the result is positive.

Allvinyl - thanks for taking the time. Great help.

Speaking for myself, I have found placing a heavy whatever directly on top of a chassis can dampen vibration...but simultaneously introduce new problems in terms of other resonance related to the material of the heavy weight. I can hear it and it frustrated me...until I placed a 'proper damper' in between the heavy weight and the top of the component. I use Ultra 5s or HRS nimbus/couplers underneath these heavy weights...and then I have founded significant benefit in using mass damping on top. I got the benefit of the damper...but the positives were strongly enhanced...particularly more quiet, more solid and stronger signal density.

My two cents.

As most know I have made a determination to switch my existing cabling from Nordost Valhalla and Transparent to all Shunyata cabling. This has been based on my more than favorable system improvements obtained by adding 4 Shunyata Hydras (Triton and 3 Typhons) along with an Anaconda PC from the wall to the Triton and 3 Anaconda umbilicals for the Typhons). I also have switched the PC from my Playback Designs to the Alpha Digital while a pair of Alpha High Current PC's for my amps.Simply put I had not been prepared for the changes in my system. These have been outlined earlier in my room description here.

Over the past 3 weeks I have had in for audition and comparison Shunyata's new Anaconda Digital which comes in several terminations depending on one's equipment. The two I have presently are the Anaconda Digital AES/EBU with XLR terminations and an S/PDIF with RCA terminations. I use these for my streaming audio which I have had fun using at the suggestion of my good friend Marty. Essentially I am using a simple dock into which I plug my ipad3 and stream audio from the dock to my Playback Designs into which I run the above mentioned two cables. This allows for a/b testing on the fly by merely changing the source via the Playback Designs remote with signal out from there to my Lamm preamp.

When I first inserted these cables I have to admit that I was somewhat miffed because the superb soundstage to which I was used to listening had now collapsed. It was as if I was now in the rear of the theater rather than in the orchestra. I was told to be patient as a several day burn in would be necessary. The thing that fascinates me about all of these Shunyata cables I have in my system is the distinctly audible changes I can hear with the burn in process. Unlike the other cables however I found that most of the changes occurred within the first 3-4 days. The soundstage opened up to the point that it was common to hear sound beyond the outsides of the speakers and what really was fun was to hear how the bass came in and was not only good but it was darn good.

I didn't do any critical a/b testing until late last week.With the remote control I was able to immediately able to a/b both cables without any pause or lapse in the music. The downside however is I knew which button I was pushing to switch from one source cable to the other. IOW it was not a blinded test. The only way that could happen is with a second person using the remote and me listening. That didn't happen.

Nonetheless I can say that I listened for days to these two cables and I can say that for my ears it would be very difficult for me to pick one correctly over the other. Initially there was a bigger difference between the cables but I attributed this to slower cable burn-in for the S/PDIF as bass took a few days longer to settle in. Once there I can say that the AES/EBU might have had a slight edge by virtue of the soundstage extending even more lateral beyond the speakers as well as slightly better bass BUT if you asked me to do it blinded I don't honestly know if I could reproduce that. IOW both cables sound dead even. I have been listening to mainly streaming audio for the past several weeks as this allows the best a/b comparison of the cables.

I know that I am only keeping one of these and based on my less than scientific evaluation (other than my ears), I have decided to keep the AES/EBU

Both cables are exceptionally well constructed. What is also different with these cables is a nub which looks like a small metal casing around the end of the cable which attaches to the source. I know that this is not ferrite beads but not sure if it is part of the cable circuit as I see no other logical place where the cable could accommodate the circuit.

Also a nice finishing touch with the signature of the tech who built the cable on the small metal casing

Kudos again to Shunyata for another fine cable

Simple answer to first question is a much better bottom end and as i have said before a far better soundstage.The Shunyata IMO just sounds "more real". I also believe there is some system synergy by using the Shunyata cables with the Hydras.

I am far from complete Peter. My plan is to do the PC's first in order of importance and plan on using Alpha HC PC's for my front end components as well as subs. Last part of the puzzle will be SC's and IC's

Simple answer to first question is a much better bottom end and as i have said before a far better soundstage.The Shunyata IMO just sounds "more real". I also believe there is some system synergy by using the Shunyata cables with the Hydras.

I am far from complete Peter. My plan is to do the PC's first in order of importance and plan on using Alpha HC PC's for my front end components as well as subs. Last part of the puzzle will be SC's and IC's

Wouldn't you use the Zitron Alpha Analog instead of the HC on your front end?

Wouldn't you use the Zitron Alpha Analog instead of the HC on your front end?

It was my plan to use the Alpha Analog PC on my preamp but reading through the threads here as well as comments and posts made by Caelin that the AHC PC is his favorite PC.

It was my plan to use the Alpha Analog PC on my preamp but reading through the threads here as well as comments and posts made by Caelin that the AHC PC is his favorite PC.

Oh, I guess I missed that when I ordered my Shunyata cables (I have two Alpha Analogs in my system on my pre and phono).

Does he prefer the AHC over the Zitron Anaconda? I just placed an order for one of these to drive a Triton that I also ordered.

Oh, I guess I missed that when I ordered my Shunyata cables (I have two Alpha Analogs in my system on my pre and phono).

Does he prefer the AHC over the Zitron Anaconda? I just placed an order for one of these to drive a Triton that I also ordered.

Sounds like you should have asked 'the man' before you placed your order.

Looking at all the posts made by Caelin the AHC is a special PC especially for the money. I use an Anaconda from the wall to my Triton and love the sound. Even though I am intrigued to do a side by side comparison with an AHC PC from the wall to the Triton I just can't bring myself to mess with such a good thing.

TBH, you won't mind either cable in that location

I had the good fortune of hosting many members of WBF last evening at my house after THE Show wound down for the day. Food and refreshments abounded and a good time was had by all. It was nice as always to reacquaint with old friends and to meet some new ones. Members were from all over including asiufy and Fabio from Brazil and even BruceD ade it here from way down under. So gidday to you Bruce, Alexandre and Fabio. Also present was Gary Koh who gave a very enlightening seminar to everyone present on "turntables 101". Once again Gary and everyone hinted rather strongly that the room was lacking a TT. Duh :)
Others present were
KeithR
Steve McCormick
Mark Seaton and one of his associates
Albert Porte
c1ferrari (Sam) and his lovely wife Sonny
rbbrt

and the highlight of "my" evening was to host Debbie Wilson and have her sitting in the sweet spot listening to her father's speakers. I even know she loved it. Thanks Deb for taking time out of your busy day to spend some time with us

I have included some photos of the festivities

It was fun to play some new music as well as listening to Gary enlighten us all as to the inherent differences as well as flaws and strongpoints of different turntable types.

Thank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu