Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Ortofon sells their scale here in the US too.

david

Hi David

I thought the scale Ortolan sells in the USA is accurate to 1/10 of a gram whereas that sold in Japan is accurate to 1/100 of a gram

I have the top digital scale only available from Ortofon in Japan. I just went down stairs and dropped the stylus on the scale and moved the VTA up and down from level. Raising it makes the VTF lighter and lowering it below level adds weight. It turns out we are both right. I can get the VTF to change up to 5/100ths of a gram by going to the extremes of raising or lowering the arm. Of course in real world use these extremes do not happen so if you are in the level range going up or down, for all intensive purposes the VTF remains consistent. I tested this on both the elite and supreme arms. So I stand corrected. I can get the force to change a little but in real world use, it doesnt matter. I learned something today.

Thank you for following up. This tells me that the arm is just a tad into stable balance outside a practical range of arm heights, so though not dead nuts neutral, it certainly can be claimed to have neutral operating balance. The only arm in my experience to be dead nuts neutral was the arm on the original Acoustic Research turntable, a feature submerged by the arm's other problems like sticking of its vertical viscous damping provision. If I learn anything new from Bob I'll let you know, unless you get to him first.

Thank you for following up. This tells me that the arm is just a tad into stable balance outside a practical range of arm heights, so though not dead nuts neutral, it certainly can be claimed to have neutral operating balance. The only arm in my experience to be dead nuts neutral was the arm on the original Acoustic Research turntable, a feature submerged by the arm's other problems like sticking of its vertical viscous damping provision. If I learn anything new from Bob I'll let you know, unless you get to him first.

Thanks. Please let us know what Bob has to say.

Attachments

• $T2eC16F,!wsE9suw)yZDBR5WcdFniQ~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16F,!wsE9suw)yZDBR5WcdFniQ~~60_57.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 327
  • 41opCe8156L.jpg
    41opCe8156L.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 328
I have said here so many times that our very own Gary Koh has not only a very eclectic taste in music but so also his playlists as well as his online recommendations are always worth looking into.

When I was fortunate to have Gary spend a few hours with me several weeks ago he brought 5-6 albums that he played several cuts from each.

One of the albums Gary brought was (for me at least) a real jaw dropper as it sure has a way of testing one's system. I have played this album several times in the past few days. I probably bet this album is in many readers' collections but this M&K 45 rpm Direct to Disk is a true audiophile album. There are many versions but this Direct to Disk at 45 rpm was the version he suggested

I found a mint copy in Germany....highly recommended

Thank you Gary

IMG_3987.jpg

Nice!

I had Hot Stix too for the longest time, among the pillars of the M&K Direct Disc catalog to which I would include For Duke, Fatha, and Flamenco Fever.

That old war horse is pretty good, almost as great as the Sheffield direct to disc drum record... Almost:D

I have not heard the M&K but I have the Sheffield and use it often to evaluate changes in my system and the dynamic capabilities of other systems. It is a real acid test LP. Steve, are you familiar with the Sheffield?

Thank you for that tip, Steve! I was able to find one sealed copy and a couple of NM copies. (After frequent and diligent work I still have been unable to find a sealed copy of "For Duke.")

Ron, in the last couple of weeks there have been sealed copies of "For Duke" on evil bay. Are you checking there?
I'm not so sure why you would want a sealed copy..and pay so much extra for it, when the typical copy that is available in in NM or M ( and a lot less $$). This LP was usually owned by a'philes and therefore hasn't been played that much and is generally well cared for.
When a M or NM copy comes available, I would jump on it.
BTW, I can also tell you that some of the M&K LP's were warped from the factory, so buying a sealed copy might be detrimental from that aspect. If it's M or NM, then a warp should be disclosed by the vendor. Unless, you want a sealed copy for the 'collection'...which is what I have ( although I have several play copies as well)- and I can understand that, LOL.:cool:

With the Basis WoA Ron will be saying, "Warp? What warp?" :D

I have not heard the M&K but I have the Sheffield and use it often to evaluate changes in my system and the dynamic capabilities of other systems. It is a real acid test LP. Steve, are you familiar with the Sheffield?

Hi Peter

I am familiar indeed with it but only have it on CD

For those wanting M&K Flamenco Fever in M, NM condition be prepared to pay anywhere from $400-$600

Gary also brought For Duke as well. I wanted to keep it under the radar until I ordered mine

Is the M&K Fatha album worth having as there are several copies around

Well there's warped and there's WARPED. I don't think we're talking about the latter. :)

Jack, you would be surprised at some of the warps that I saw back in the day...I once had a Mosaic set that was so warped it looked like the hills in the sound of music...:D
Luckily, Mosaic were very good and replaced the whole set.

Steve, the M&K 'Fatha' LP is also superb. Well worth having IMHO. Btw, now you are on this slippery slope....many of the original Wilson Audio LP's are well worth seeking out, as well as some of my favorites...the Opus 3 LP's.The Opus 3 LP's-- "Depth of Image" and "Timbre" are an important part of anyone's stable....as is the awesome Cindy Peters..."Black is the Color".

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing