DS Audio ION-001 stand for taller platters

Chauncey79

Oct 26, 2023
I am getting a J.Sikora Standard Max turntable which has a very tall platter and I'm trying to find a stand mount for a DS Audio ION-001. My thought is the stand base would slide under the table and then have fine adjustment for height and distance from the record.

Something like this but I need more of a clamp attachment to hold the ION-001.

Probably over engineering this! LOL

Attachments

• RK-06AE.jpg
    RK-06AE.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 10

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I am getting a J.Sikora Standard Max turntable which has a very tall platter and I'm trying to find a stand mount for a DS Audio ION-001. My thought is the stand base would slide under the table and then have fine adjustment for height and distance from the record.

Something like this but I need more of a clamp attachment to hold the ION-001.

Probably over engineering this! LOL
i use the wood presentation box that came with my Audio Technica AT-MC2022 cartridge. turned out to be the right shape and height for the DS Ion with my tall Wave Kinetics NVS tt. but agree it's a bit of a conundrum with chassis/plinth/platter designs so unfriendly to anti-static devices. i use 2 of the CS Port IME1's on my other turntables since the DS Ion won't fit those situations.

you could also cut a wood block the right size which i was intending to do then bought the AT cartridge and realized that box fit perfectly. looks ok too.....but a bit of a cobble. the things we do for great sound.:)

i thought this might be 'tippy' and not 'safe'. but i've had zero issues in almost a year of daily use.
IMG_1092.jpeg

Last edited:

Chauncey79

Oct 26, 2023
Thank you Mike!

Do you find the light from the DS Audio distracting? I noticed your unit is pointing away from your listening position. I was contemplating a location where it would point toward mine...Thoughts?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thank you Mike!
you are welcome.
Do you find the light from the DS Audio distracting? I noticed your unit is pointing away from your listening position. I was contemplating a location where it would point toward mine...Thoughts?
my turntables are to the left of my listening position; so lights are not going to be as distractive as the more common between the speakers location. but i could see that the DS Ion lights are fairly bright, whereas the CS Port device is much less obvious. you could put a dark filter over it, or even colored cellophane tape, to reduce the brightness.

it's an accident that my DS Ion faces away from me, it's the only spot around the NVS plinth where i could get it close enough to the platter to work. so the light direction was not part of my concerns. guess i got lucky. honestly i do enjoy the green light reflection off the white platter side when i'm listening in dim light, which is normal for me.

Doc76

Aug 29, 2023
United States
You can dim the lights on the Ion or turn them completely off as well. When I turn off my regular light it reminds me to turn off the Ion.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
You can dim the lights on the Ion or turn them completely off as well. When I turn off my regular light it reminds me to turn off the Ion.
I don't believe you can dim the lights completely on the ION-001. Even at the lowest setting, I can still see the green LED.
Bigger issue is that the ION degrades the high frequencies, at least in my system. I will no longer keep it on while listening. It's a subtle degradation - if you're not listening for it, it's hard to detect - but it's there.

Doc76

Aug 29, 2023
United States
I don't believe you can dim the lights completely on the ION-001. Even at the lowest setting, I can still see the green LED.
Bigger issue is that the ION degrades the high frequencies, at least in my system. I will no longer keep it on while listening. It's a subtle degradation - if you're not listening for it, it's hard to detect - but it's there.

If you can’t turn your lights all the way then you must have a defective unit. We also keep our Ion connected to an outlet that is completely isolated from the rest of our main gear. I have witnessed no degradation of higher frequencies at all. Just no dust and improved bass.

Please see the top of the second page of the review below for the ability to turn the lights completely off.

DS Audio

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
If you can’t turn your lights all the way then you must have a defective unit. We also keep our Ion connected to an outlet that is completely isolated from the rest of our main gear. I have witnessed no degradation of higher frequencies at all. Just no dust and improved bass.

Please see the top of the second page of the review below for the ability to turn the lights completely off.

DS Audio
Perhaps I didn't turn the dial far enough to dim the LEDs, but in a dark room, I can still see the green light. Does the dial click to turn them off completely?

Doc76

Aug 29, 2023
United States
Perhaps I didn't turn the dial far enough to dim the LEDs, but in a dark room, I can still see the green light. Does the dial click to turn them off completely?

There is “no“ click on mine. But I can turn them completely off or just dim them enough to barely be visible (the norm for me). I have a mental system which includes my TT light. When I turn the TT light on or off, then the Ion is also turned on or off. Definitely don‘t want to leave the Ion on 24/7.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing