DSD Battle Royale!

merrillaudio

Bruce

Is it too late to join in? I have a Meitner with DSD and DoP from the computer.

I am also hoping to get the Tascam DA-3000 in.

Cheers,

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce

Is it too late to join in? I have a Meitner with DSD and DoP from the computer.

I am also hoping to get the Tascam DA-3000 in.

Cheers,

Just got to post #65 and download from there.

Happy listening!

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Just got to post #65 and download from there.

Happy listening!

Bruce, I'm consistently getting a "530 login authentication failed" message. The exclamation is part of the pwd, right?

When I get in I will compare 64 with the DSD DACs I have here (Meitner MA-1, Mytek, Lampizator DSD-only prototype and SOtM sDP-1000) with the Mytek and Lampi doing 128 as well.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Files back up. Don't know what happened?

Thanks for listening. Hopefully I can get some more files up by the weekend..

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011
Thanks Bruce for the test files, downloaded only the three 128DSF, 001, 004, 005 that were available NOV-21.
I liked 005 the best, the opening has more depth and reveals small background sounds very well. 001 was pretty sort of flat, "muffled". 004 was better than 001.
Ran jriver audio analyser and the replay gain levels were different 001 3.73db, 004 2.30db and 005 1.22db. DR10/11.
Not my kind of music though, but they do illustrate differences. Looking forward to the results.

PhilipAC

Nov 20, 2013
OK- my initial reaction is that the DSD128 recordings are better than the DSD64 except for DSD64 No 2.

I find it hard to distinguish between the DSD64 no 2 and the DSD128s.

I therefore predict that DSD64 no 2 is the Grimm!

At least I've put my money where my mouth is!

Philip

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
OK- my initial reaction is that the DSD128 recordings are better than the DSD64 except for DSD64 No 2.

I find it hard to distinguish between the DSD64 no 2 and the DSD128s.

I therefore predict that DSD64 no 2 is the Grimm!

At least I've put my money where my mouth is!

Philip

Thanks Phillip

Good to see you stick your neck out.

I will be posting the converter names on Sunday.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Files back up. Don't know what happened?

Thanks for listening. Hopefully I can get some more files up by the weekend..

Bruce, the 64fs files have disappeared again.

Oops.... I downloaded them to the same folder. Forget it - they are there.

Gumby

Dec 16, 2012
Seattle, WA
Just got this working yesterday and now have the your files playing. One suggestion, is revise the files numbers, randomly, as 1 to 8 and post them all in one directory so nobody know which file was created at either sample rate. I find distracting that I know, plus somebody made a guess at which one was the Grimm, which could create some expectation bias.

IMG_0213.jpg

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

PhilipAC

Nov 20, 2013
Well I can say that #2 is NOT the Grimm.. :p

I thought I was allowed to guess!!-even if I am wrong!

This afternoon, my son-in-law came round (to give me a tasting of a new wine- wine and music are a match made in heaven!), and I played him the samples.He was even more positive than I that 2 was best. So I await the unveiling on Sunday with great interest!

Philip

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Well I can say that #2 is NOT the Grimm.. :p

Hi Bruce,

Is the Grimm CC1 clock used with the Grimm AD1 ?

How about the other four ADC? Are any external clocks used with them?

Thanks!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Thanks Bruce for the test files, downloaded only the three 128DSF, 001, 004, 005 that were available NOV-21.
I liked 005 the best, the opening has more depth and reveals small background sounds very well. 001 was pretty sort of flat, "muffled". 004 was better than 001.
Ran jriver audio analyser and the replay gain levels were different 001 3.73db, 004 2.30db and 005 1.22db. DR10/11.
Not my kind of music though, but they do illustrate differences. Looking forward to the results.

I found 001 to be flatter and less clear as well. The 64fs 001 is worse than the 128fs 001 IMO.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Just got this working yesterday and now have the your files playing. One suggestion, is revise the files numbers, randomly, as 1 to 8 and post them all in one directory so nobody know which file was created at either sample rate. I find distracting that I know, plus somebody made a guess at which one was the Grimm, which could create some expectation bias.

View attachment 12661

Hard to do a blind test when your dac display shows the sample rate.;) I guess you could cover it up with a post it. But then your computer would also show the sample rate as well.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Hi Bruce,

Is the Grimm CC1 clock used with the Grimm AD1 ?

How about the other four ADC? Are any external clocks used with them?

Thanks!

No external clocks. I have never used one that made the converter sound better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing