DSD to Vinyl Versus Analog Tape to Vinyl

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Paul never said or implied that the DSD ADC processs has “zero“ effect on the sound. The DSD ADC process is subject to implementation and Grimm Audio, dCS, Meitner, Digital Audio Denmark, Mytek, Prism Sound, Neve, Genex and Korg DSD ADC‘s all have their own sound.

I've had/have every one of these ADC's mentioned at one time or another (plus others not mentioned). I've done shootouts just like Mike, and with Mike. You also have to realize where Paul is and who he associates with, whether this is out of convenience or not. Sure he is a DSD fanboy.... as I am. But I know the limitations of each format and have worked extensively with all of them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It's not gospel. You don't need to drink the Kool-aid. Paul has something to sell. Remember all the hoopla that came from Waldrep? You need to have worked extensively with each format to get the best out of it. All formats can play on a level field if one heed's the limitations of that format and carefully selects the proper tools to needed for the job!

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I've had/have every one of these ADC's mentioned at one time or another (plus others not mentioned). I've done shootouts just like Mike, and with Mike. You also have to realize where Paul is and who he associates with, whether this is out of convenience or not. Sure he is a DSD fanboy.... as I am. But I know the limitations of each format and have worked extensively with all of them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It's not gospel. You don't need to drink the Kool-aid. Paul has something to sell. Remember all the hoopla that came from Waldrep? You need to have worked extensively with each format to get the best out of it. All formats can play on a level field if one heed's the limitations of that format and carefully selects the proper tools to needed for the job!

Bruce you were the biggest DSD fanboy over at Gearslutz for years, wow the above statement coming from you must mean that you must have had some sort of a revelation.

Are you still the using the Neve Masterpiece mastering set in a box? Or have you taken the training wheels off yet?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce you were the biggest DSD fanboy over at Gearslutz for years, wow the above statement coming from you must mean that you must have had some sort of a revelation.

Are you still the using the Neve Masterpiece mastering set in a box? Or have you taken the training wheels off yet?

I'm still a big proponent of DSD and prefer to use it over any other format. That being said, If someone gives me tape, vinyl or 44.1, doesn't mean I can't make it sound as good as any other format.

Yes, I still have the Neve Masterpiece.... as well as all the other tools I use.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
well I think the answer lies in the nature of components used in the devices. since audio signal tends to get the characteristics of the element it’s passing (such as copper cable sound vs silver cable and capacitors etc) it gets the plastic-kind-of-sounding characteristic of ICs. there are a lot of ICs in digital systems. it’s impossible to totally eliminate them in digital systems. on the other hand it’s possible on direct to disc or from-tape-to-vinyl transfers and if it’s done properly both sound better than digital-source-to-vinyl transfers. for me best sounding recording format is properly done 45rpm direct to disc.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Has anyone compared the DSD256 file to the LP of this recording? I have the LP, which sounds good, but I don't like it enough to also buy the DSD version!

1610680879892.png

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Thanks to one of our members, I was able to compare the LP to a DSD64 file. At first it was pretty close, but the more I listened, the LP sounded slightly softer (not exactly warmer) and less transparent as the DSD. Overall, I prefer the DSD, which is odd since I normally prefer analog.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Thanks to one of our members, I was able to compare the LP to a DSD64 file. At first it was pretty close, but the more I listened, the LP sounded slightly softer (not exactly warmer) and less transparent as the DSD. Overall, I prefer the DSD, which is odd since I normally prefer analog.
I have this album in DSD 128 fs, imo good but not outstanding SQ.
If you wish I could send you a file via We transfer , pls let me know.
m

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing