Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Inquiring minds want to know:

1. How does it sound?

2. Will the network input/streamer actually sound better than my NS1+Optilink connection?

Glad they went to an OLED display.

Rumor has it, there have been big changes to the power supply and analog board as well.

Hi Ian, yes, the power supply, the digital and analog converter, the analog section plus the front plate will be replaced. According to a reliable source, the improvement will be dramatic!

Last edited:
I'll be very worried if network streaming is integrated into the dac.

Reactions: mtemur
I have been listening to the EMM Lab DA2i for the last several weeks. I’m lucky enough to live in Calgary, which is where they are located.

I have always liked EMM gear and found they don’t bring out upgrades unless it’s something significant. This is certainly the case in this instance.

I heard the DA2 V2 and then almost immediately after the new one in my own system. Even without any break in the change was remarkable.

There were a few things that struck me immediately. There was a force behind the music almost like I was listening to the system louder, but there was no difference in the volume I had my preamp set at and it has the same output as the old one. It just gives you more sound. I know that’s not terribly accurate but it’s the best I can do.

Certainly, the bass is rock solid. The soundstage is bigger, side to side, front to back and height and yet very, very lifelike and not oversized. I listened to many different pieces I have played for years and in almost every case it was like I was hearing things I had never heard before, but not detail for details sake. Finally, and most importantly it’s extraordinarily musical. I know people say that a lot but here it was remarkable.

And one really amazing thing is, my old dac is no slouch, and a reference for many people.

Regards to the integrated streamer it works extremely well and has given me absolutely no issues.

I’m delighted with it. Certainly not saying it’s the best. I’d just suggest that if you get a chance, take a listen to it.Kudos to EMM.

I have been listening to the EMM Lab DA2i for the last several weeks. I’m lucky enough to live in Calgary, which is where they are located.

I have always liked EMM gear and found they don’t bring out upgrades unless it’s something significant. This is certainly the case in this instance.

I heard the DA2 V2 and then almost immediately after the new one in my own system. Even without any break in the change was remarkable.

There were a few things that struck me immediately. There was a force behind the music almost like I was listening to the system louder, but there was no difference in the volume I had my preamp set at and it has the same output as the old one. It just gives you more sound. I know that’s not terribly accurate but it’s the best I can do.

Certainly, the bass is rock solid. The soundstage is bigger, side to side, front to back and height and yet very, very lifelike and not oversized. I listened to many different pieces I have played for years and in almost every case it was like I was hearing things I had never heard before, but not detail for details sake. Finally, and most importantly it’s extraordinarily musical. I know people say that a lot but here it was remarkable.

And one really amazing thing is, my old dac is no slouch, and a reference for many people.

Regards to the integrated streamer it works extremely well and has given me absolutely no issues.

I’m delighted with it. Certainly not saying it’s the best. I’d just suggest that if you get a chance, take a listen to it.Kudos to EMM.
Thanks gajgmusic. Are you playing CDs with EMM transports or use USB for files? Am interested if there's any improvements in the DA2i's USB input.

I actually haven't tried the transport. I have been streaming and usb. USB is superb, from my viewpoint.

I have been listening to the EMM Lab DA2i for the last several weeks.

I heard the DA2 V2 and then almost immediately after the new one in my own system.

Is the DA2 V2 the model immediately preceding the DA2i?

How many TX2 transport were actually made?

50 + 10 = total 60?

I sold mine same price as the da2.

Then I got chastised by friends for selling it too cheap, saying I could've added a 5k premium since they are now unobtainable.

Emmylab does not intend to make another optical transport in the next 7 years. That's why there is no additional st optical input on the new da2i dac?

Last edited:
How many TX2 transport were actually made?

50 + 10 = total 60?

I sold mine same price as the da2.

Then I got chastised by friends for selling it too cheap, saying I could've added a 5k premium since they are now unobtainable.

Emmylab does not intend to make another optical transport in the next 7 years. That's why there is no additional st optical input on the new da2i dac?
I heard recently that they are working on an optical transport.

Reactions: Yuen A.
I actually haven't tried the transport. I have been streaming and usb. USB is superb, from my viewpoint.
You like the sound of USB better than ethernet? Maybe it was just his pitch, but Amadeus said he thought the ethernet input was better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu