Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Not sure if I misunderstanding you, but with a DA2i , you don’t need the NS 1. If you were asking how one box compares to two that’s a tough comparison because the 2i has a newer dac that is really quite remarkable, not the old one was bad
Hi, just curious, can the DA2i built-in streamer be by-pass if you don't want to use it?

can the DA2i built-in streamer be by-pass if you don't want to use it?

Why would you want to do that? The DA2i uses ConversDigital's newer CDM4140 module and has a direct internal I2S connection to the DA2i's DSP before D to A conversion. Whereas the NS1 uses the older ConversDigital CDMCM-2121R module, and has to go through 2 digital conversion stages before it gets into the DA2i DSP.

Reactions: Yuen A.
Why would you want to do that? The DA2i uses ConversDigital's newer CDM4140 module and has a direct internal I2S connection to the DA2i's DSP before D to A conversion. Whereas the NS1 uses the older ConversDigital CDMCM-2121R module, and has to go through 2 digital conversion stages before it gets into the DA2i DSP.
Hi Andrew, thank you very much for the info. As I said earlier, I am just curious because I currently don't stream. I prefer to listen exclusively to recordings via SACDs.

Reactions: jeromelang
Hi, just curious, can the DA2i built-in streamer be by-pass if you don't want to use it?

hopefully meitner would have designed it so that when users are not using the streamer, the whole module is shut down inside the dac.
you would also need to do your part by physically disconnecting the ethernet cable from the back of the da2i.

Reactions: Yuen A.
Hi Andrew, thank you very much for the info. As I said earlier, I am just curious because I currently don't stream. I prefer to listen exclusively to recordings via SACDs.

then i'm surprised you still have't gotten hold of the TX2 optical disc transport yet....

TX2 is much better than the TSDX.
there is a TX2 (with gold plating) somewhere on carousell.

You can definitely bypass it with USB, I am not certain you could use another streamer. Hope that is what you were asking.

the DA2v2 didn't have very good galvanic isolation for it's USB input
hopefully the i version have improved on this.

then i'm surprised you still have't gotten hold of the TX2 optical disc transport yet....

TX2 is much better than the TSDX.
there is a TX2 (with gold plating) somewhere on carousell.

Hi Jerome, I am very happy with the performance of the TSDX SACD transport and do not see the need to replace it with the more expensive TX2 for the following reasons: 1. The Esoteric drive in both is exactly the same. 2. Although the TX2 chassis maybe slightly better, for my case, I am using the very effective top-of-the line Ansuz Acoustics Darkz footers under the TSDX for resonance control. Also, the TSDX is placed on the shelve of the top-of-the-line Critical Mass Systems equipment rack.

Last edited:
Hi Jerome, I am very happy with the performance of the TSDX SACD transport and do not see the need to replace it with the more expensive TX2 for the following reasons: 1. The Esoteric drive in both is exactly the same. 2. Although the TX2 chassis maybe slightly better, for my case, I am using the very effective top-of-the line Ansuz Acoustics Darkz footers under the TSDX for resonance control.

I have both TX2 and TSDX in my home for more than 1 year.

TX2 audibly better.

the DA2v2 didn't have very good galvanic isolation for it's USB input
hopefully the i version have improved on this.
Hi, I’m interested in your comment that the USB input of DA2V2 isn’t very good, as it is also my suspicion but am unable to prove. I’ve a Taiko Extreme server but have not been able to make it sound close to the TX2. Appreciate to know your experience. Thanks!

Hi, I’m interested in your comment that the USB input of DA2V2 isn’t very good, as it is also my suspicion but am unable to prove. I’ve a Taiko Extreme server but have not been able to make it sound close to the TX2. Appreciate to know your experience. Thanks!
Hi Tony, to me and to many, it is not a surprise that an excellent transport would sound better than an excellent server.

can you identify whether is this a ConversDigital module, and if yes, what model is this?

MPS-X.png

I would think my situation is the same as you. I can't prove that the galvanic isolation on the DA2v2 isn't very good with measurements and scientific explanations, but when playing files from my laptop connected via USB input the sound wasn't wholly satisfactory. Not soon after, in my system, with the Playback Designs MPS-8 and the USB X4 USB-to-ST optical adaptor, the sound is much better. With the USB-X4 in between the laptop and the player/dac, there is more openness and quieter background between the notes. Of course there is that possibility that the playback designs player would have the same issue as the emmy with regards to it's USB input's galvanic isolation effectiveness, but here Andreas offers a solution with the USB-X4 for those who are not using same-company streamers, and laptops without the better noise shielding st optical connection.

The eversolo DMP-A8 also sounds better into the MPS-8 when the USB-X4 is in between.

One interesting observation:

Just like Meitner, Andreas does not believe st optical cables can be directional. He says there are no scientific studies supporting this.

So the founders of 2 of the world's better dac manufacturers don't believe and don't accept that st optical cables are directional - and their support of this digital transmission protocol is the mainstay of their companies' flagship products!!!

Last edited:
I got to listen to Emm Labs DA2i and new Stereo AMP over the weekend. John McGurk distributer for EMM LABS (one of the good guys in audio) paid me a visit. Always good to catch up with John for his company, critical listening sessions, to break bread, and to enjoy some grape nectar.

We did each piece individually, my Gryphon Pandora/Taiko Extreme were both part of the demo. Neither piece had any hours on them. I was shocked as to how well each piece performed right out of the box! Both the new Stereo AMP and DA2i did not disappoint. The DA2i is a big upgrade in SQ from the DA2. The Stereo AMP running USB from Taiko was sublime. Truly impressive.

I wouldn't have any problem recommending either of these products. If I were in the market, both would be strong contenders...

Reactions: Johan K and Yuen A.
Hi Tony, "The DA2i’s digital input system features enhanced isolation for USB and network interfaces, safeguarding your signal from external noise and interference. This ensures that your audio remains pristine, untouched by external factors."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu