Engstrom Eric

Then all these set ups must have been really bad or something is ... with your ears;)

In the end it is a matter of taste but no flow with any of the Kondo’s? You must be kidding

Rudolph, when you want to listen to proper SETs you need to do with horns :). Please if you can fly over to Heathrow, and then me to you, we can have common data points to discuss.

All SETs have a certain flow when used in sensitive speakers. What the LV does, even a devore with the Kondo will do. There is nothing special, at least in the Munich room, which just gives me a bloated sweet sound. Outside that room, who knows, very difficult to listen to private LV set ups.

Sorry Ked, but as stated before: I dissagree; you do not need horns to let - relatively powerful - set amps of say 50w (like eg the Kondo Kagura’s) shine. Sensitive cone loudspeakers with no (cruel) impedance drops will do nicely provided the other fundamentals - acoustics, power and grounding - are right. If you are willing and able to listen unbiassed, I can prove this to you.

Horns (that is all the ones I experienced) just do not tick my audio boxes. That said, that is just me, I fully understand their appeal and wish all horn lovers loads of fun with their speakers

Reactions: morricab
Rudolph, when you want to listen to proper SETs you need to do with horns :). Please if you can fly over to Heathrow, and then me to you, we can have common data points to discuss.

All SETs have a certain flow when used in sensitive speakers. What the LV does, even a devore with the Kondo will do. There is nothing special, at least in the Munich room, which just gives me a bloated sweet sound. Outside that room, who knows, very difficult to listen to private LV set ups.
I refer again back to post #36...ever heard a Strad up close??

No, only you have as only you had a gf who could play one. So does it lack energy, without a dynamic range, thick mid, up close?
Not one of the fellow horn owners i am friends with woukd describe the LV system as you have... time for you to re-evaluate your hearng i think. That said i dont think this basso sub is nea4ly as good as the Vox Elyssian sub.

I heard this speakers at AXPONA 2019, they were playing some Linda Ronstadt and I thought my ears were going to bleed. With too much high frequency energy, Linda should not do that to your ears.

Still haven't heard a Marten system I liked...heard many models and with all kinds of amps...bright is the what I consistently hear...
I was somehow in the same boat until last week when i heard this set up with Mingus 20..
Actually i have the same feeling of brightness with majority of speakers made with Accuton drivers.
But this implementation was very different - if i may say so - even sounded somewhat darkish to me..
DBBB883A-2256-4196-8DE5-208B34250898.jpeg

Those use the latest generation of accuton midrange drivers. I have been living happily with a variant of the said honeycomb/underhung drivers for a while now. These drivers are much harder to drive into resonance peak ringing than those made 8 to 10 years ago were. One can visually ID them by looking at the flange's taper. Yes these drivers are very smooth while retaining the speed of their predecessors.

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing