Entreq Tellus grounding

Barry2013 - yes that is correct.

Maril555 - basically when i stuck the first one in (main lead from wall to Power Conditioner), i could not tell a difference and took it off after a few minutes. I felt bad only spending 2 minutes testing something, so i put 2 on...on both ends of the same PC. Suddenly it was like watching television with a better quality tape recording...the original image was fine, but the newer image has less pixels/grunge which had not bothered before...but now they're gone...better.

Particularly, i found that the system seemed (like with Entreq grounding) more at ease, less hash so that contrapuntal themes from 2 parts of an ensemble were much more noticeable and enjoyable...because the separation of the music was better...but not in a way that made them disjointed. In fact, the opposite...the separate musical lines actually were playing off of each other, and THAT became very very obvious which i had not appreciated before.

Taking them off, and that ease of understanding that disappeared, and the 2 sets of music became flatter and therefore the 'play off each other' bit was gone again.

That then began an experiment to keep adding...not always successfully particularly with network box cables...and then after finishing that 2 month experiment...i realized the Wilson speakers have a lot of cables that connect the 3 upper modules and bass module. When i asked distributor about this, someone else with a similar setup had just ordered a bunch of wraps...so we did the experiment and they stayed in. hope that helps. for the collective money that is less than a silver tellus, i got a lot of uplift and found them extremely good value for money.

but again, i repeat, intuitively i am not sure they will be as universally well received in all systems...

Thanks Lloyd.
That is very helpful.
I have just checked them out with Fraser, the UK Entreq distributor.The AC Silver Wraps retail over here for £230 per pair and the Silver Mini Wraps are £110 per pair.and he says give great results if applied carefully and that they work well even without ground cables.
I will probably give them a try as the Entreq products' track record in my system has been first class.

Lloyd, I see the Entreq Wraps have the ability to be grounded, as do their cables. I shudder to think in a fully Entreq-cabled rig how many ground cables would need to be configured if one went tot OTT and grounded each component, each cable twice (once for the cable, once for the wrap) and a full complement of Receivus'. I calculated in my rig that would be 45-50. Assuming one went all Atlantis leads and not more than 1 peg on each grounding box not accepting more than 2 Atlantis spades each, that would be 6 S. Tellus boxes and 6 Atlantis Tellus' add on boxes, plus possible Powerus and 2 Cleanus'. With 12-15 boxes and 4 dozen+ ground cables, that's a spider's web of Arachnophobia/Eight-Legged Freaks proportions :eek::eek:!!!

Yeah, that would certainly get ridiculous. On a different note has anyone made their own grounding cables for these grounding boxes yet? Should not be too hard to do if you know how to solder.

Yeah, that would certainly get ridiculous. On a different note has anyone made their own grounding cables for these grounding boxes yet? Should not be too hard to do if you know how to solder.

I haven't. But while this might at first seem to be an easy task, I bet you wouldn't be so sure after hearing the difference that going from one grounding cable to another makes.

I haven't. But while this might at first seem to be an easy task, I bet you wouldn't be so sure after hearing the difference that going from one grounding cable to another makes.

Sure. I'm not saying that it would necessarily be easy to make a cable exactly like Entreq's own, but it would be an interesting experiment. You may come up with something that you like better in your own system after some experimentation. Also save some money as an added bonus.

Sure. I'm not saying that it would necessarily be easy to make a cable exactly like Entreq's own, but it would be an interesting experiment. You may come up with something that you like better in your own system after some experimentation. Also save some money as an added bonus.

There are a couple of manufacturers I am aware of who have introduced grounding cables for Entreq and Tripoint, but interestingly they have gone upmarket.

There are a couple of manufacturers I am aware of who have introduced grounding cables for Entreq and Tripoint, but interestingly they have gone upmarket.

Not too surprising. It is a business. How much are the Entreq cables in the US?

Not too surprising. It is a business. How much are the Entreq cables in the US?

Spade to RCA start at $129 and go up to $1,639 for the standard 1.65m length.

Thanks. I have not heard any of these devices yet, but should have an opportunity soon.

Excellent! Looking forward to your listening impressions.

When I first got my original Tripoint Troy, I got four of their Silver grounding cables. I tried pure silver, pure LLC copper, various speaker cables, etc. I did not solder any of these as all solder is crap. Nothing matched the performance of the Troy Silvers, and they are now greatly surpasses by the Troy SEs. Secondly no grounding wire should touch the floor, whether wood or carpet.

Thanks Lloyd.
That is very helpful.
I have just checked them out with Fraser, the UK Entreq distributor.The AC Silver Wraps retail over here for £230 per pair and the Silver Mini Wraps are £110 per pair.and he says give great results if applied carefully and that they work well even without ground cables.
I will probably give them a try as the Entreq products' track record in my system has been first class.
Great! Let me know...yes, the key is the price is per pair...so that's nice.

I could not resist, so I've connected the Minimus Silver with Ertha silver RCA to one spare output of Totaldac D1 Dual (which has a class A output to drive my Spectral DMA 260).
Even in Stand-by mode, the output stage of D1 is powered.
My first impression after 30mn and then after 2 hours is related to an increment of sweetness and density of the grain (which was already great with the D1 dual).
Music flow is a little more liquid, solid.
Voices seem to be more vivid and palpable.
The sense of "real live" on big orchestral tracks seem to be increased.
I am talking about subtle sensations, not night and day. But I feel a more relaxing and smooth music, full-bodied.

Sounds similar to others' experiences here (including my own)...enjoy. In my case, the improvement was quite impressive, but i had only just begun grounding, isolation, shielding...and it appears my system needed it!

Lloyd, I see the Entreq Wraps have the ability to be grounded, as do their cables. I shudder to think in a fully Entreq-cabled rig how many ground cables would need to be configured if one went tot OTT and grounded each component, each cable twice (once for the cable, once for the wrap) and a full complement of Receivus'. I calculated in my rig that would be 45-50. Assuming one went all Atlantis leads and not more than 1 peg on each grounding box not accepting more than 2 Atlantis spades each, that would be 6 S. Tellus boxes and 6 Atlantis Tellus' add on boxes, plus possible Powerus and 2 Cleanus'. With 12-15 boxes and 4 dozen+ ground cables, that's a spider's web of Arachnophobia/Eight-Legged Freaks proportions :eek::eek:!!!

spider web is right...and a BIG one is your speakers are far apart and you're using wraps on them (like me)...i have 8 on each set of Wilsons!!!

I was listening last night and marveled at how low the noise floor was.... when the music wasn't playing or pauses between tracks or the music itself and volume still up to listening level...90-95dB..I could hear nothing. It was like the stereo was turned off. Amazing what this stuff has done. Due to this real reduction in noise I am experiencing, I find that I need to turn the volume up a bit more than before the grounding boxes were installed....now that the noise floor has dissolved into a dark abyss.

I find this odd; in the absence of noise I would assume that the system would be perceived to be 'louder' at the same volume pot setting. But, I experienced the same phenomena in my own system when I hooked an Olympos to my Berning preamp via either a Apollo or Atlantis RCA. There were other significant changes, but I'll wait to report on those as I have not fully sorted them out.

John

Allvinyl/John, can you fill me in a little on the Olympos? I'm getting great results separating the Apollos from my dual mono line stage to separate pegs on my S. Tellus, but this means I'm out of spare capacity, and I still want to ground my Zu sub amps early next year. I'm contemplating either a 2nd S. Tellus, or the one peg Olympos (just for the dual mono line stage), to go along my current S. Tellus. What are your thoughts

Allvinyl/John, can you fill me in a little on the Olympos? I'm getting great results separating the Apollos from my dual mono line stage to separate pegs on my S. Tellus, but this means I'm out of spare capacity, and I still want to ground my Zu sub amps early next year. I'm contemplating either a 2nd S. Tellus, or the one peg Olympos (just for the dual mono line stage), to go along my current S. Tellus. What are your thoughts

I will jump in here Spirit...if you trust Per Olaf (and i think largely, you do)...and he develops an Olympus expressly for preamps (and Fraser thinks its pretty awesome i am told)...i think you should consider Olympus. As for your Tellus, without being sure the range of your subs, i wonder if there might be another place within your system you could apply the Silver Tellus where you could take greater advantage of its benefits. I imagine you hear benefits from sub amps...but if the frequency is particularly tight for the subs...i wonder if applying it expressly to source or someplace else might be even better? just a thought.

I find this odd; in the absence of noise I would assume that the system would be perceived to be 'louder' at the same volume pot setting. But, I experienced the same phenomena in my own system when I hooked an Olympos to my Berning preamp via either a Apollo or Atlantis RCA. There were other significant changes, but I'll wait to report on those as I have not fully sorted them out.

John

Looking forward to your report...On the volume thing...I have no objective measurements. It just seems I needed to turn it up a bit...but as you know...our hearing can change a bit on a daily basis whether it's environmental or some other cause. I will continue to observe and report on the volume phenomena I think I am hearing.

I find this odd; in the absence of noise I would assume that the system would be perceived to be 'louder' at the same volume pot setting. But, I experienced the same phenomena in my own system when I hooked an Olympos to my Berning preamp via either a Apollo or Atlantis RCA...

...John

Looking forward to your report...On the volume thing...I have no objective measurements. It just seems I needed to turn it up a bit...but as you know...our hearing can change a bit on a daily basis whether it's environmental or some other cause. I will continue to observe and report on the volume phenomena I think I am hearing.

I found similar things at first...but in fact, (in my own case) what i realized is that sometimes i am guided by the distortion level of the system when it comes to how loud/soft i play it...i tend NOT to get too high because i can feel the distortion, i guess.

With good grounding in the system (and Entreq AC wraps more recently), when i now go to the knob and i dont hear distortion...i suppose i keep going just a bit further because i am acclimated to BOTH volume and the 'edge' that comes with the higher volume. When the 'edge' only starts at a higher volume than before Tripoint/Entreq, i guess i tend to go that few extra notches of volume until i get that same 'tensioned balance' between loud and slight edge.

Except that now, when we start talking, it is only then that i realize the volume is actually a few notches louder, and i have to turn it down to hear in order to hear the talking more easily. With Entreq/Tripoint and good shielding/grounding, it feels effortless and relaxed at higher levels...and surprisingly i dont 'feel' its loud. Except that it is.

Lloyd, I may well go down the Olympos Minimus route (1 peg). To this I can attach the 2 Apollos from my dual mono linestage. I'll then run the remaining Apollos to my pre existing S. Tellus. It's not definite I'll ground the sub amps yet - the modded units I've ordered w/ground posts have yet to arrive, and a trial may yet prove not beneficial.
But if grounding the sub amps wks, then I'll have 6-7 Apollos from Straingauge energiser, Eera cdp, Audion SET monos, Zu sub amps and poss Cleanus to the S. Tellus. I have a hunch separating the dual mono line stage to it's own grounding box may be just great, and I think the price of Olympos Minimus won't exceed S. Tellus too much.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing