Entreq Tellus grounding

I find this odd; in the absence of noise I would assume that the system would be perceived to be 'louder' at the same volume pot setting. But, I experienced the same phenomena in my own system when I hooked an Olympos to my Berning preamp via either a Apollo or Atlantis RCA. There were other significant changes, but I'll wait to report on those as I have not fully sorted them out.

John
In my case the same effect came after upgrading my i/cs to the balanced Entreq Apollo

Looking forward to your report...On the volume thing...I have no objective measurements. It just seems I needed to turn it up a bit...but as you know...our hearing can change a bit on a daily basis whether it's environmental or some other cause. I will continue to observe and report on the volume phenomena I think I am hearing.

Chris, do you have the four spades from the Atlantis cables connected to your line (or phono) stage spread over all four pegs on the Silver Tellus, or just two?

Chris, do you have the four spades from the Atlantis cables connected to your line (or phono) stage spread over all four pegs on the Silver Tellus, or just two?

I have the 4 spades from two Atlantis rca cables (phono stage) connected to the two left ST connectors and the the 4 spades from the main pre connected to the other two ST connectors on the right side, so each component is spread out on two connectors on the box. For my amps, I have the 4 spades spread over all 4 connectors.

I have the 4 spades from two Atlantis rca cables (phono stage) connected to the two left ST connectors and the the 4 spades from the main pre connected to the other two ST connectors on the right side, so each component is spread out on two connectors on the box. For my amps, I have the 4 spades spread over all 4 connectors.

Did you try it both ways?

Did you try it both ways?

You mean taking the four spades on the phono and spreading those out on all 4 connectors on the Tellus and do the same with the main pre's 4 spades ? no I haven't tired that, but maybe I should ? I wonder if all 4 connectors on the Tellus are linked together ? The way I currently have it, I thought it made more sense to keep the phono spades together and the main pre spades together...maybe I will do that this weekend. I have someone coming over for a listen tomorrow, so I don't want to chance losing the charge or whatever we should call it by reconfiguring the connections.

You mean taking the four spades on the phono and spreading those out on all 4 connectors on the Tellus and do the same with the main pre's 4 spades ? no I haven't tired that, but maybe I should ? I wonder if all 4 connectors on the Tellus are linked together ?

I would guess that there is continuity between the four pegs, but I would not take that to mean that the way the spades are connected would make no difference.

I just received my second pair of Atlantis cables for the phono. I will start connecting them one way and then I will try the other way once I have become familiar with the sound.

I would guess that there is continuity between the four pegs, but I would not take that to mean that the way the spades are connected would make no difference.

I just received my second pair of Atlantis cables for the phono. I will start connecting them one way and then I will try the other way once I have become familiar with the sound.

I will try spreading all four spades from each component over all four pegs and see how that goes this weekend. It sounds so good now, I hate to mess with it...but it is necessary to do to rule out the possibility it sounds better connected on all four post for each component.

I will try spreading all four spades from each component over all four pegs and see how that goes this weekend. It sounds so good now, I hate to mess with it...but it is necessary to do to rule out the possibility it sounds better connected on all four post for each component.

I know the feeling. Sorry to put the bug in your ear :)

i do now have a second Eartha Atlantis 1.65m RCA cable coming next week so i'll have 2 of them to compare directly with the 2 Apollos i'm now enjoying.

i'll try both by themselves into the dart pre, and with 2 Atlantis to the dart pre and 2 Apollo into the Playbacks Design digital. and see where the best net result is. i suspect the pre only-Atlantis might be best with a signle Silver Tellus based on other feedback i've read.

i do now have a second Eartha Atlantis 1.65m RCA cable coming next week so i'll have 2 of them to compare directly with the 2 Apollos i'm now enjoying.

i'll try both by themselves into the dart pre, and with 2 Atlantis to the dart pre and 2 Apollo into the Playbacks Design digital. and see where the best net result is. i suspect the pre only-Atlantis might be best with a signle Silver Tellus based on other feedback i've read.

That would be my guess too, but it is going to be a valuable confirmation/rejection as we all learn how to make the best use of this stuff.

Boys, I'm causing trouble on the Troy thread (my GF always says I'm trouble, she must go for "bad boys" :p!), so I'm bowing out of that one and sticking here. Tbh, I feel more at home w/you guys anyway.
Christian, I'm spreading 6 Apollo spades over 4 pegs. The only defined difference I've got worth sticking with is keeping the two Apollo spades from my dual mono linestage separate from each other on unshared pegs. This has necessitated me mixing the spades from both SET monos, Straingauge and cdp on the remaining 2 pegs, but to no deleterious effect luckily.
The thing to remember here is that grounding configurations are a massive case of YMMV - MikeL and I don't get on mixing Apollo and Atlantis cables, Lloyd and Barry have no issues (in fact Fraser the Entreq UK rep often states that Atlantis is not always the logical choice over Apollo); dmnc02 really advises not mixing digital and analog on the same S. Tellus peg, I have no issues. Etc etc. Just mix'n'match, it's all a voyage of discovery, just a trial that it takes time for the effects to build up again after any swap.

Looking forward to your report...On the volume thing...I have no objective measurements. It just seems I needed to turn it up a bit...but as you know...our hearing can change a bit on a daily basis whether it's environmental or some other cause. I will continue to observe and report on the volume phenomena I think I am hearing.

No the noise gets amplified so removing it will sound quieter.

Boys, I'm causing trouble on the Troy thread (my GF always says I'm trouble, she must go for "bad boys" :p!), so I'm bowing out of that one and sticking here. Tbh, I feel more at home w/you guys anyway.
Christian, I'm spreading 6 Apollo spades over 4 pegs. The only defined difference I've got worth sticking with is keeping the two Apollo spades from my dual mono linestage separate from each other on unshared pegs. This has necessitated me mixing the spades from both SET monos, Straingauge and cdp on the remaining 2 pegs, but to no deleterious effect luckily.
The thing to remember here is that grounding configurations are a massive case of YMMV - MikeL and I don't get on mixing Apollo and Atlantis cables, Lloyd and Barry have no issues (in fact Fraser the Entreq UK rep often states that Atlantis is not always the logical choice over Apollo); dmnc02 really advises not mixing digital and analog on the same S. Tellus peg, I have no issues. Etc etc. Just mix'n'match, it's all a voyage of discovery, just a trial that it takes time for the effects to build up again after any swap.

The problem is that doing the same with the Atlantis cables requires using all four pegs, hence my earlier question to Chris. It will be interesting to find out what works best with the Atlantis.

Dmnc02, one of the reasons I'm not rushed to go to Atlantis leads is the twin spades which mean that twice the number of S. Tellus pegs are needed, and hence in due course prob more than one additional grounding box. I just don't have the willpower/cash/strength of OCD to run too many boxes/extra ground leads.
I'm already running a 75kg 8kVA balanced power transformer, a Burmester 948 conditioner and a S. Tellus box. I can JUST contemplate an Olympos and Cleanus (that'll be 5 boxes, Jeez!), and I'm consciously going to resist the urge to go all-Atlantis (which in my rig would mean 3 S. Tellus' and 3 Atlantis Tellus', or add Entreq cable wraps (sorry Lloyd!).

Dmnc02, one of the reasons I'm not rushed to go to Atlantis leads is the twin spades which mean that twice the number of S. Tellus pegs are needed, and hence in due course prob more than one additional grounding box. I just don't have the willpower/cash/strength of OCD to run too many boxes/extra ground leads.
I'm already running a 75kg 8kVA balanced power transformer, a Burmester 948 conditioner and a S. Tellus box. I can JUST contemplate an Olympos and Cleanus (that'll be 5 boxes, Jeez!), and I'm consciously going to resist the urge to go all-Atlantis (which in my rig would mean 3 S. Tellus' and 3 Atlantis Tellus', or add Entreq cable wraps (sorry Lloyd!).

Spirit, understood. For me it is already decided that one ground box (currently a Silver Tellus, later an Olympus once it becomes available) will be reserved for just the phono and line stages, so the only issue with the Atlantis cables is how to best connect them to the four available pegs.

Sure dmnoc02. I can see myself connecting the 2 Apollos from my dual mono linestage to an Olympos Minimus single peg, and then on my S. Tellus, connecting the 2 Apollos from my SET monos to one peg, 2 Apollos from my Zu sub amps to the 2nd peg, and then an Apollo each to the 3rd and 4th pegs from my Straingauge energiser and Eera cdp respec. What will be interesting is that if I run a Cleanus and take another Apollo back to the S. Tellus, should I combine this w/either the analog or digital, or combine the latter and give the Cleanus' Apollo it's own peg?
If you're right in advising separating analog and digital grounding for best results (I have no reason to doubt you), then the Cleanus' Apollo will have to share a peg w/one or the other.
This is really going to have to be my limit on grounding-related navel gazing, I just can't contemplate Lloyd's level of persistence above and beyond :cool:!

Sure dmnoc02. I can see myself connecting the 2 Apollos from my dual mono linestage to an Olympos Minimus single peg, and then on my S. Tellus, connecting the 2 Apollos from my SET monos to one peg, 2 Apollos from my Zu sub amps to the 2nd peg, and then an Apollo each to the 3rd and 4th pegs from my Straingauge energiser and Eera cdp respec. What will be interesting is that if I run a Cleanus and take another Apollo back to the S. Tellus, should I combine this w/either the analog or digital, or combine the latter and give the Cleanus' Apollo it's own peg?
If you're right in advising separating analog and digital grounding for best results (I have no reason to doubt you), then the Cleanus' Apollo will have to share a peg w/one or the other.
This is really going to have to be my limit on grounding-related navel gazing, I just can't contemplate Lloyd's level of persistence above and beyond :cool:!

Spirit, hard to guess, even though my prior would be to keep the Straingauge on its own peg. It is even possible that the best compromise would be not to ground the Cleanus to the Silver Tellus (just like Lloyd does not ground his AC wraps), rather than having the Cleanus and your CDP sharing a peg.

From what I gather, the Cleanus really works best by being grounded. This makes sense since it's purpose is to filter the mains, and is designed w/grounding in mind like the Troy w/the latter's PC plugged into the mains. I have to say, in my rig, I don't notice any difference in combining or separating Apollos on the S. Tellus from my analog and digital. So this really may not be too critical (the reverse being true re the dual mono linestage). And it may be the case grounding the Zu sub amps might prove superfluous (I will be trying a couple of Apollos to the ground posts on the back of the Zu's, i.e. spade-spade's, that may or may not be useful). If the sub amps and/or Cleanus don't benefit from grounding, keeping analog and digital separate will not be an issue.
Early 2015 will tell.

The problem is that doing the same with the Atlantis cables requires using all four pegs, hence my earlier question to Chris. It will be interesting to find out what works best with the Atlantis.

So to use Atlantis cables you need to connect to two grounds on the Entreq grounding units? I would be using it with the Troy Signature. Can you put both on one ground post?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing