Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable arrives; G1X Master Clock coming.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Very curious as to whether it at least superficially resembles the sound of your previous idler Saskia.
too early to nail down. but first impressions are somewhat (expectation bias?.....slightly?) more propulsion, more flow, quieter and smoother. and all four of these things are strengths of the Saskia. the foundation and ease are equal at least. more space. how much of those perceptions are the arm and cartridge? or are they limiting what i'm hearing? too soon to know. my perceptions are provisional.

not yet played with the torque knob on the front. which i think is a gamechanger.

i'm very happy with what i am hearing. my concern was to go backwards from the Saskia with the shiny new toy. i think i've moved past that concern, anyway.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
it's an idler, on steroid's. a rim drive specifically.

So like Marc's TT then. He will be thrilled you finally came round to what he has been saying.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
too early to nail down. but first impressions are somewhat (expectation bias?.....slightly?) more propulsion, more flow, quieter and smoother. and all four of these things are strengths of the Saskia. the foundation and ease are equal at least. more space. how much of those perceptions are the arm and cartridge? or are they limiting what i'm hearing? too soon to know. my perceptions are provisional.

not yet played with the torque knob on the front. which i think is a gamechanger.

i'm very happy with what i am hearing. my concern was to go backwards from the Saskia with the shiny new toy. i think i've moved past that concern, anyway.
Congrats Mike. I hope to hear it in your systemat PAF but it is for sure the best looking TT ( IMO) along maybe with the Basis Transcendance, it is certainly a looker and the drive system is very cool tech. Enjoy it!!!!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So like Marc's TT then. He will be thrilled you finally came round to what he has been saying.
Hey, Mike's a reasonable guy.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Some years ago I was considering a Kodo Beat TT by Steve Dobbins. He made the point that he had the option of adjusting the torque to the user's preference. I had never been made aware previously that torque could be an important factor. Nor am I aware that there is any TT now other than the Esoteric that allows the user to adjust this variable to the user's preference. Will some torque settings be better suited for different genres? Or will it be that one setting preferred for everything? Very much looking forward to your observations here. Enjoy the ride.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Primary Control Kinea DD has adjustable torque. I believe the forthcoming Wilson Benesch GMTOne also will.

Reactions: Scatterbrain99

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Some years ago I was considering a Kodo Beat TT by Steve Dobbins. He made the point that he had the option of adjusting the torque to the user's preference. I had never been made aware previously that torque could be an important factor. Nor am I aware that there is any TT now other than the Esoteric that allows the user to adjust this variable to the user's preference. Will some torque settings be better suited for different genres? Or will it be that one setting preferred for everything? Very much looking forward to your observations here. Enjoy the ride.
Is the Beat still made?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Johan, you have NO idea *quite* what Mike is gonna say, lol.
my intentions for that post #4 will be links to T1 information, which i wanted to have on page 1 of the thread for reference. so his 'like' will be relevant by the end of the day. ;)

added note/Thursday the 16th-----yesterday i did fill that post #4 with links and information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Congrats Mike! A truly impressive table in terms of fit and finish and technology. Hopefully it turns out to be the first class table you've been looking for. I think it will be.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, that TT is crying out for the Kuzma Safir arm. You know it makes sense (says the man in virtual charge of your bank account).

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, that TT is crying out for the Kuzma Safir arm. You know it makes sense (says the man in virtual charge of your bank account).
so i retire in 2 months, or buy a Safir?

cuz i gotta choose. if i want to stay married. i've cashed in all my chips already.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

cuz i gotta choose. if i want to stay married. i've cashed in all my chips already.

Mike your wife is not going to leave you after 50 years of marriage provided you spend on a habit of yours she is familiar with. I bet you cannot prove me wrong

• Haha

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
cuz i gotta choose. if i want to stay married.
Now that's funny. Who among us has not used that line before? It's a page right out of the audiophile playbook! I think its on the first page somewhere. It's also generally accompanied by bullet point suggestions such as "But honey, if i do this...then I'll do (that) for you!"

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Mike, in my case, the temptress who must be resisted, the monster that must be fed, is a 150+ year old building, not my partner. You try and tell a chapel you're not going to spend on it to spend on audio toys instead.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
thanks Marty.

i owned the first 'Kodo Beat' tt by Steve Dobbins and it did have plenty of torque. as i recall (12 years ago) i told Steve to use his best judgment about the setting for me. at the time my Dobbins Garrard 301 with the Loricraft Power Supply was even torquier. an idler obviously. but the 'Kodo Beat' was a higher level all around tt.

agree that playing with that torque dial might be pretty awesome. maybe tonight i might get a chance to investigate.

Reactions: jeff1225

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mike, congrats on your new purchase. It is fun watching you navigate the cutting edge of audio.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Is adjustable torque maybe a fancy way of describing the function of slight voltage adjustments after initial startup, something that a few controllers are capable of ? ;) Yours included Marc ! Awesome TT by the way ! :)

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Milan, some TTs start up at high torque before "idling" at lower torque. The Kinea DD is one such.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing