Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable arrives; G1X Master Clock coming.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Milan, some TTs start up at high torque before "idling" at lower torque. The Kinea DD is one such.
Yours does to Marc, and you can adjust the voltage drop for smoothest operation in the menu. :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yours does to Marc, and you can adjust the voltage drop for smoothest operation in the menu. :)

If you ever do a listening session with Marc, he torques non stop.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
  • Haha
Reactions: Johan K and bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No Milan, you're the smoothest, or so I hear on the grapevine.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
  • Haha
Reactions: Johan K and Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
  • Haha
Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Is adjustable torque maybe a fancy way of describing the function of slight voltage adjustments after initial startup, something that a few controllers are capable of ? ;) Yours included Marc ! Awesome TT by the way ! :)
the method for adjusting the torque for the T1 is variation of the proximity of the rotating magnetic wheel to the platter rim. nothing electronic, no voltage adjustments. basically more force or less force based on how close that wheel is.

the speed remains the same. no matter the torque setting.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
the method for adjusting the torque for the T1 is variation of the proximity of the rotating magnetic wheel to the platter rim. nothing electronic, no voltage adjustments. basically more force or less force based on how close that wheel is.

the speed remains the same. no matter the torque setting.
Sounds exiting Mike.
What is the stop time of the platter, from the time you press stop untill the platter come to a halt?
Is the TT made for the platter to spinn continuously, even through the vinyl changes?
Or do you stop the platter between the vinyl swap’s?

/ Jk

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Sounds exiting Mike.
What is the stop time of the platter, from the time you press stop untill the platter come to a halt?
Is the TT made for the platter to spinn continuously, even through the vinyl changes?
Or do you stop the platter between the vinyl swap’s?

/ Jk
like my CS Port and the Saskia, the Esoteric T1 has an indent in the side of the platter to get your fingers on the record easily to change sides or remove while the platter is spinning. so that design feature does indicate that it is the preferred method. not yet read or experienced that the T1 sounds better running continually, but i expect that to be the case.

start-up for the T1 does take time with the magnetic wheel technology; my guess is 30-45 seconds for 33rpm, not yet done 45rpm but assume that takes relatively longer. which precludes stopping and starting every time. but i know not everyone is comfortable picking up spinning records, although for myself it's the most natural thing to do.

spin down time untouched is a couple minutes (did not measure it). but since there is no motor touching or in any way connected to the platter gently stopping it is no bother.

Last edited:

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
i got music. plugged it in, pressed play......the speed readout took a minute to get to 33.3.

and with a semi-cowboy set-up on a strange to me arm, grabbed a cheap phono cable, and zero tweaking of the suspension or speed, some really fine sounding music. powerful, flowing music. there is a push and boggie factor that carries me along. tried the 1:50 silver EMIA SUT with the Koetsu Azule Platinum but that was way too much, it's gliding along free and easy with the 1:15 silver EMIA.

time to just listen. i have packing laying everywhere but no worries.

added note #1-----this is next level stuff i'm hearing. but it's a new arm and a new to me cartridge, so i can't really know what is doing what. but the energy and power is staggering. much more force and intent in the music.

View attachment 106077
View attachment 106078
Looks spectacular..... Why, if you don't mind me asking a question, didn't you start your first evaluations with a cartridge and arm that you have used previously? Wouldn't that allow you to get a better "handle" on what the new table is bringing to the "party"....
Just a thought......
Cheers....

Reactions: bonzo75

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Looks spectacular..... Why, if you don't mind me asking a question, didn't you start your first evaluations with a cartridge and arm that you have used previously? Wouldn't that allow you to get a better "handle" on what the new table is bringing to the "party"....
Just a thought......
Cheers....
of course you are correct. that would be ideal.

unfortunately it does take 'months' working with Esoteric's engineers to get an arm board built for my specific arms. the process started in late January. i should have them sometime in April. is that normal for every custom arm board? don't know.

i knew i would need one more cartridge anyway, so i acquired the Koetsu for the Ikeda. i could have removed the DaVa from the Tosca and installed it on the Ikeda, but felt that would not really tell me anything definative, why not have fun with the new cartridge?

the few pre-built arm boards that Esoteric offers are not my 'arm' preferences. which is why i ordered the T1 version with the Ikeda arm. so i would at least have an arm to play. in the context of the cost of the T1 the arm and arm board are a good value. and so far certainly no complaints.

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019
of course you are correct. that would be ideal.

unfortunately it does take 'months' working with Esoteric's engineers to get an arm board built for my specific arms. the process started in late January. i should have them sometime in April. is that normal for every custom arm board? don't know.

i knew i would need one more cartridge anyway, so i acquired the Koetsu for the Ikeda. i could have removed the DaVa from the Tosca and installed it on the Ikeda, but felt that would not really tell me anything definative, why not have fun with the new cartridge?

the few pre-built arm boards that Esoteric offers are not my 'arm' preferences. which is why i ordered the T1 version with the Ikeda arm. so i would at least have an arm to play. in the context of the cost of the T1 the arm and arm board are a good value. and so far certainly no complaints.
I saw yesterday the Esoteric site lists your armboards as official products now.

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Congrats Mike on your Esoteric (very appropriate name) Touch-Less Rim Drive. What an intriguing technology and what a gorgeous piece!

How does the G1X Master Clock interface with the table?

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
like my CS Port and the Saskia, the Esoteric T1 has an indent in the side of the platter to get your fingers on the record easily to change sides or remove while the platter is spinning. so that design feature does indicate that it is the preferred method. not yet read or experienced that the T1 sounds better running continually, but i expect that to be the case.

start-up for the T1 does take time with the magnetic wheel technology; my guess is 30-45 seconds for 33rpm, not yet done 45rpm but assume that takes relatively longer. which precludes stopping and starting every time. but i know not everyone is comfortable picking up spinning records, although for myself it's the most natural thing to do.

spin down time untouched is a couple minutes (did not measure it). but since there is no motor touching or in any way connected to the platter gently stopping it is no bother.
Thank you Mike, for that detailed answer. Very interesting data/info you give us all. Yes the indent in top side of the platter makes more easy to change sides of the records than on my TT that has a very different platter design. On my Ascona Neo if feels best to make a stop/start when changes sides or remove the records… however, the plater starts and stops quite fast, so I have no problem with that. It’s just part of the spinning records process, which is kind of cool I think. Everything does not ALWAYS have to go at 1000 miles/hour in life - certainly not in the audio room, right.
Nice to hear that you enjoy your Koetsu. I love them, I think they are magic.. but again.. that’s just me.

All the best

/ Jk

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Mike on your Esoteric (very appropriate name) Touch-Less Rim Drive. What an intriguing technology and what a gorgeous piece!
agree, thanks Franz
How does the G1X Master Clock interface with the table?
the G1X clock supercharges the clock already in the power supply. you plug the G1X clock into a BNC connection on the rear of the tt with a 50 ohm digital cable.

read this post.

Last edited:

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
which precludes stopping and starting every time. but i know not everyone is comfortable picking up spinning records, although for myself it's the most natural thing to do.
Nice looking turntable. :cool:

I had done this for years, but stopped doing it after dropping one of my favourite records and damaging it. Bought 2 or 3 replacements, but all sounded worse than my original. I kept the original and one of the other ones, I still only ever play the original.
Ever since that incident, I now always stop the platter to turn over records.

Reactions: AudioHR and Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing