Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable arrives; G1X Master Clock coming.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Good evening Mike / ( morning here ),

Sounds so funny. I wish I could join you right now to hear what it sounds like…
me too. :)
I’m happy for you. I know what you mean, when you say ”-keeps getting my attention”… It’s the same as ” I want more of this - and I don’t wanna stop”. So cool !! Keep it up and enjoy yourself.

/ Johan
thank you. i will. i want to keep listening. :cool:

Last edited:

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
soundstaging is exemplary, in that way more spacious than the Saskia/Tosca/DaVa it replaced. the phono cable i'm using now is a zero cost generic one compared to the LFD w/dongle 'super-cable' i was using on the DaVa before, which i know was a big step up in space. but it's probably a mistake to get too much into differences without the other arms on the T1.

the micro-dynamics are top notch, but i cannot say this necessarily better than the Saskia/Tosca/DaVa. it's in the same realm in that way. maybe that and textures are where this arm trails my other arm/carts. but i don't really know that now, just my sense.
Many thanks for the wonderful feedback Mike. I have heard that CS Port excels in microdynamics so will be interesting to see how the T1 compares to it in due course. You must be in analogue heaven. Enjoy!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
tonight i switched cartridges, from the Koetsu Azule Platinum to the new Audio Technica AT-MC2022 60th Anniversary. 5 minutes in......truth, clarity, and realism are my first impressions......in the context of the Ikeda/Koetsu. more to follow. inferences from MF is that he did not like this arm/cart nearly as much as this cartridge with the 3x as spendy Kuzma Safir arm.

but this does not suck. so far (which is not very far) my expectations being fulfilled is certainly possible/probable. seems like the high energy impressions of the Esoteric and Ikeda TA-9D arm are still in play. again.....very early impressions. don't know about the bass yet, i'm playing piano solos. here are some very quick i-phone pics.

added note 30 minutes in. there is not any sense of edge or glare, nothing in your face or tipped up. i'm not on the edge of my seat riding the volume down button. ease and flow. and this is brand spanking new.

4F62345E-9AB5-4AA0-B7F8-07ABBE7046F2.jpeg
6595035A-1CE4-4B43-8B6F-FA31F6CD62D4.jpeg
DFEC6BEF-FBA8-49D5-801A-33057C2A86D2.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
continue to enjoy the AT-MC2022. my guess is that the Ikeda might be holding it back from ultimate nuance. but in spots i can see some fantastic things. and not sure i've heard any cartridge be so linear, i mean spot on perfect.

and this cartridge is the high hat king, on steriods. it get's them so real beyond how i've ever heard them. without any of it's own flavor. just the truth. and horns and pianos just soar and happen so effortlessly, so clean and pure. but no edge or brightness at all. a natural ease all the way.

right now the Koetsu Azule definitely has more bass fullness and slam, at least with this particular arm. but likely the Audio Technica has not yet opened up. i'm still around 5-6 hours so far. what's the Esoteric contribution? not exactly sure for now. it's not hurting.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Sounds cool Mike,
I’m happy for you… me myself… got to do some hours for work this rainy day…
I’d rather been in the audio room this morning.. Brrrr.

Keep enjoy your AT-MC2022.

All the best

/ Johan

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, Have you installed the new clock for the new turntable?
the clock is 'in country' finally and should ship to me today, would guess i will have it early next week. i have the shelf prepared and a Shunyata digital 50 ohm cable incoming for hook up. i hope the cable arrives in time. i have plenty of 50 ohm BNC cables from my dartzeel experiences, but not any purpose built digital ones.
What is the purpose of this device and how does it change what you are hearing?
this post covers what i know.

i am very anxious to hear how it can take what i'm hearing further. my mind has trouble grasping that. the "more clear and greater dynamics" mentioned in the Seoul HiFi show by our WBF member @thomask post certainly teases. those comments tipped me over to buy the clock. i had been looking for some listener confirmation that it delivered on the promise from the scarce info out there i could find.

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
G1X clock should ship to me mid week. i'm getting the Shunyata Sigma v2 Clock-50 digital cable for the BNC 50 ohm connection to the T1 motor chassis.
That's great news Mike! I used 3 of the Sigma V2 for quite a while. Of all the 75 and 50 ohm brands and models of cables I've owned over many years, IMHO, Sigma V2 and Omega are the best ever...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
No record weight/clamp? Is this a vacuum LP hold-down design? Or is no weight intentional as per the manufacturer?
Marty,

no vacuum hold down.

Esoteric makes no mention of a record weight.

the spindle post is quite tall, and my Durand record weight spindle hole is not tall enough to use, which was what i used on the Saskia. i do have a Thorens record weight which does work but it's a bit gaudy and really don't care for it. my Wave Kinetics is also too shallow. and my 6 pound CS Port record weight is too heavy. i'm reluctant to use it with the magnetic drive system. i do have three HIFi Stay record weights i might try.

so there you go.

when Fremer publishes his T1 review maybe we'll see what he used, and maybe i'll try that.

Reactions: marty

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
That's great news Mike! I used 3 of the Sigma V2 for quite a while. Of all the 75 and 50 ohm brands and models of cables I've owned over many years, IMHO, Sigma V2 and Omega are the best ever...
i bought it somewhat on your feedback i had read. ;)

many thanks.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
just listened to 'Snooky' on the T1 with the Audio Technica cartridge. played it around a few audio shows over the years, and on every combination of tt i've ever had. it's one of my basic go-to's, most played, cuts.

Snooky, a cut off of an original Basie Pablo 'Mostly Blues and Some Others', has some of the most delicious high hat and other delightful high frequency fireworks, all in service to the music. the whole album is really a treasure, and carries through that magical top end realism.

OMG, this is on another planet, on passages i've heard so many times. this unified stylus cantilever is a game changer.

a big leap in believability. over the line of suspension of disbelief. and.......with a better arm and the clock? :eek:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
OMG, this is on another planet, on passages i've heard so many times. this unified stylus cantilever is a game changer.

a big leap in believability. over the line of suspension of disbelief. and.......with a better arm and the clock? :eek:

How does this set-up sound compared to the Dava on this album?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
How does this set-up sound compared to the Dava on this album?
what i'm hearing tonight is singular in my experience. one of a kind. on these high hats and such. but this is not the whole musical picture. and maybe the DaVa is right there with the AT on this. recency bias is a strong factor.

but until i have both carts mounted on the same tt and i can play them back to back i don't think we can get to ranking and viewing areas of superiority. it will be fun to do it.

Last edited:

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
what i'm hearing tonight is singular in my experience. one of a kind. on these high hats and such. but this is not the whole musical picture. and maybe the DaVa is right there with the AT on this. recency bias is a strong factor.

but until i have both carts mounted on the same tt and i can play them back to back i don't think we can get to ranking and viewing areas of superiority. it will be fun to do it.
What an incredible adventure! Congratulations!

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
just listened to 'Snooky' on the T1 with the Audio Technica cartridge. played it around a few audio shows over the years, and on every combination of tt i've ever had. it's one of my basic go-to's, most played, cuts.

Snooky, a cut off of an original Basie Pablo 'Mostly Blues and Some Others', has some of the most delicious high hat and other delightful high frequency fireworks, all in service to the music. the whole album is really a treasure, and carries through that magical top end realism.

Hi Mike,
Is this the Snooky Pryor 'Snooky' LP your are talking about ? If so, which version do you have ?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

Congratulations whit your New TT and Cartridge i am also a big fan of Count Basie "Mostly Blues and Some Others" coincidentally i played it yesterday night not only the high hat but also the Piano is portrayed whit full frequency spectrum a very inspired Jazz recording:

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Wow how exciting. Enjoy it and I hope to hear it in June when I am out in the area.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Mike, Have you installed the new clock for the new turntable? What is the purpose of this device
AFAIK the external clock increases precision of a kind of oscillator used in the motor controller. I believe the motor controller is a two or three channel (one for each phase/pole) amplifier. When the precision of amplifier improves precision of motor that is driving improves too.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing