Everest - all in or only front-end?

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
I'm wondering how many Everest owners, previously with amps in a separate dedicated circuit, have tried the amps in the Everest with the front-end? Caelin was generally not in favor of it, and is working on a Typhon V2 for this very purpose. In the meantime, from what I've heard, there are mixed opinions about putting everything through the Everest when multiple dedicated circuits are available. I'm curious about those who may have found one way or another.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Depends on the amp. All equipment on one line can keep the system tidy and tied to a single ground. I use 1 20 amp line for my system. Everything into a RSA conditioner except my Io phono, that goes to the open plug on the same outlet.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
Depends on the amp.

Agree; that, and probably everything else!

The question came up in a lengthy video interview with Caelin Gabriel, in the context of those who had an additional dedicated circuit for their amps, but not necessarily the funds for another Everest. Caelin's response was that he "couldn't imagine why anyone would do that," the implication being that he thought the benefits of a dedicated line surpassed those of a single, shared Everest (we admire Caelin's candor). But as has been the case with Shunyata in the past, customers tinker, and find new configurations of these superlative products more to their liking. I've been informed there are a small majority of Everest owners who've gone all in on one Everest. I'm hoping they'll take a moment to comment ...

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If you have a larger space and push your amps to achieve higher spl then a dedicated line will provide the instantaneous current that Shunyata believes is most important.

I listen in a small room. My stereo amp pulls over 200 watts just sitting , max draw is 1600 watts.I doubt I ever scratch the surface of what it can do so I have no problem especially with the RSA design. The Everest would be just fine with everything into it in my situation.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have 3 dedicated 20 amp lines. Each amp has its own line, and the source gear is on the third line. I started with one dedicated line, then added a second line, and finally added a third line. The sound improved with each added line, and Shunyata gear is on each line. Signature has the details.

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
After some experimentation moving amps from wall to Everest, I prefer amps in the Everest, at least for now (last caveat added after reading the DTCD tutorial in Caelin's thread above). I heard things I hadn't heard before. Something is up if you're willing to miss a meal to listen for a good while. One downside might be that some favorite redbook recordings didn't sound as good as I remembered in the wake of others now sounding much better. My situation is similar to dan31's. But so many variables, and with techincal information to the contrary, I'll likely be second-guessing myself.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I'm not running an Everest, though I am running two Denali 6000S V2 units.

One handling the whole front end and the other handling the OTL mono block power amps and the individual DC power supplies to the voice-coil drivers of the horn loudspeakers. AND, my results have been simply stunning.

Micro and macro dynamics like nothing I have ever heard, textures on textures and layers on layers. The depth of stage has increased dramatically and the timbre of instruments and voices has become much more vivid and lifelike yet at the same time more effortless, truly incredible. I have utilized Shunyata Research cables, especially NR and XC mains cables before, having some very good improvements, but the (x)2 Denali have been a real game changer, one of the single biggest upgrades I've ever experienced. When the noise floor drops, the transparency really shines through.

I realize everyone's mileage may vary and audiophile hyperbole can get more than a bit ridiculous, but for me, my musical experience, and my kit, it has truly been remarkable. From my experience the amps sound better on it then off it.

DTCD is a very credible and critical aspect of what we do here.

Last edited:
Reactions: pleroma

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
I agree with pretty much everything said about it being highly dependent on the individual situation even though Shunyata recommends running direct into the wall. The only thing I would add is whether using dedicated lines or 2 Denali's, you should be testing use of the CGS to any of the unattached equipment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing