Evolution Acoustics MM7 for Sale - Seller is getting custom EA speakers built?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
i'm not sure that is true. and i'm not talking about my particular system.

i think occasionally you capture lightning in a bottle with the whole system balance and set-up and maybe never get there again. it's more about synergy than the popular choices for best gear.

how do you know you can re-live the passion it took the first time? i'm not sure i have it in me to do it again. and maybe that is the biggest reason i'm reluctant to sell. the knowledge of what it took to do it once.

and i see that passion as being the most valuable ingredient for ultimate performance assuming that the asset commitment is sufficient.

Mike, I think what we're saying isn't mutually exclusive. You can strive to "capture lightning in a bottle" which, btw may be different for you or me and I do believe it and have witnessed it with certain systems (and I'm happy for you as that's what this hobby is about for me). However, the overall quality bar getting closer and closer to the best possible reproduceable musical event marches on with new materials, new manufacturing processes, new designs, new tools and ever - climbing customer budgets to justify companies' R&D efforts.

For example, if you wanted to move up above and beyond your system and Evolution Acoustics developed an MM12 (next gen ceramic drivers, better quality woofers, better cabinet damping, etc., etc.) and you made the upgrade along with upgrading other gear, after significant tweaking to accommodate the MM12s you'd likely be saying the same thing about lightning in a bottle only more emphatically. There is no cap and there's always something better, more lightning in a bigger bottle. Happy listening as always!

Steve B.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I think what we're saying isn't mutually exclusive. You can strive to "capture lightning in a bottle" which, btw may be different for you or me and I do believe it and have witnessed it with certain systems (and I'm happy for you as that's what this hobby is about for me). However, the overall quality bar getting closer and closer to the best possible reproduceable musical event marches on with new materials, new manufacturing processes, new designs, new tools and ever - climbing customer budgets to justify companies' R&D efforts.

For example, if you wanted to move up above and beyond your system and Evolution Acoustics developed an MM12 (next gen ceramic drivers, better quality woofers, better cabinet damping, etc., etc.) and you made the upgrade along with upgrading other gear, after significant tweaking to accommodate the MM12s you'd likely be saying the same thing about lightning in a bottle only more emphatically. There is no cap and there's always something better, more lightning in a bigger bottle. Happy listening as always!

Steve B.

Steve,

likely i agree with everything you are saying. if in reality the next gen Evolution's are simply driver advancements and cabinet advances within a similar approach then they should essentially fit into my current tweaked set-up relatively simply.

but that is a big 'if'.

and i think the new Evolution's will be more different and involve trade-offs.

as pretty much any other speaker at any price would too. the MM7's have some very, very, even singularly unique, rare attributes. ones that i love.

market realities are that speaker systems that weight 3000 pounds and come in 14 heavy wooden crates are not market friendly. which is why you don't see many MM7's. and why i'm not anxious to change.

Last edited:

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Mike, don't you fancy a change? Four-panel Alsyvox, perhaps?
Thanks for introducing me to the Alsyvox speakers. They appear to be superior Magneplanars in dynamics, bass and efficiency. Better construction and what a high end version of a Magneplanar could be.

Reactions: Zeotrope

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I agree with Mike here. It is one thing to change amps, DACs, cables etc. A speaker change is a total system change. The way the speaker interacts with the room is a huge deal. I went from Vivid G1s to the G1 spirits a year ago and I still don't have them sounding as good as the G1s did. You would think that you could just put the new speaker where the old one was and viola. But this is just not the case. I have learned a lot along the new journey to get the Spirits to sound great and I am hopeful that someday I will get everything dialed in and the sound will explode into something far greater then the G1s could achieve.

If you have your sound really dialed in then be very cautions about making speaker changes. I think the first question one should ask is "what exactly am I unhappy with in my sound?" Needs more dynamics? Not enough warmth? Too bright? Doesn't have good imaging? No soundstage depth? etc. etc. If you are happy with all the checkboxes then why change? As Mike says "just different, not better".
Many have stated their struggling to dial in their AG Duos XD after upgrading from supposedly inferior Duos.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Even the great Tiger Woods changed his swing. Change is difficult. Even more so is to be a more perfect version of ones self.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'm not afraid of change; actually lately i've been focusing on upgrading the audio in my Home Theater in my house. unrelated to my 2-channel adventures, more about 'end game' life-style considerations. i'd upgraded the video a few years ago and very happy there. 4k laser FP, video processor, 2:35 screen.

going from 7.2.4 speaker set-up to 9.3.6. upgrading my subwoofers from a pair 20 year old Revel's to 3 Funk Audio 18.0's. adding a Kaleidescape movie server. the big deal is adding a Trinnov Altitude 16 processor; which is a big boy dsp device. it has an Optimizer and speaker remapping capability. we will see how close to real it can get compared to the 2-channel. this room is not as all-in as my 2-channel; but it's fairly serious.

anyway.....agree that change is good. in my 2-channel i'm just so happy all around. it's does not need any more feeding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Seaton

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Even the great Tiger Woods changed his swing. Change is difficult. Even more so is to be a more perfect version of ones self.
If keeping old swing avoiding years readapting each time probably have 20+ majors IMHO.

Reactions: Bobvin

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If keeping old swing avoiding years readapting each time probably have 20+ majors
unfortunately the game migrated to Tigers weakness That forced him to adapt. Jack had predicted he would win ten green jackets. But I digress. If you seek perfection and nothing is you cannot remain stagnant.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing