Eye Candy

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I will host a Calypso Reference this week-end - it is the one shown in the picture. Fortunately I am now using the Oracle Premier - both speak French and have a family look, I do not expect big fights ...

The question is: will you be hosting a visitor...will the Calypso move in permanently to reside in your system? Merde as the French say. ;)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

One thing stands out after looking through these pictures. Mass rules in the vast majority of these designs.

One thing stands out after looking through these pictures. Mass rules in the vast majority of these designs.

And why not? :) IIRC, the platter on a cutting lathe weighs around 300 lbs.

Not to mention, the lathe uses a direct drive motor. Must be a reason! ;) I'd say the majority though of the tables shown are belt drives.

Not to mention, the lathe uses a direct drive motor. Must be a reason! ;) I'd say the majority though of the tables shown are belt drives.

I still regret not having bought an used Neumann VMS 70 or 80 when people were selling them at nice prices ...

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,272

Interesting things can happen when high platter mass (with proper attention to both damping and the mechanical interface for the vinyl record) is combined with thread drive (rather than belt drive with/without some form of "real time" feedback control loop).

How does one accommodate high platter mass (>10 kg by my definition, but more ideally 20+ kg)? With a very well designed sealed hydrodynamic bearing (I would cite both Basis Audio and Brinkmann Audio here)? With a bi-radial air bearing (e.g the original Apolyt turntable by Acoustical Systems)? With some combination of mechanical bearing and magnetic field repulsion (e.g. the original La Platine Verdier)?

Sexy mechanical objects are turntables; even more so, at least in my eyes, when form follows a clever functional design philosophy.

Lovin' my conical air bearing and 70lb platter.

Lovin' my conical air bearing and 70lb platter.

Who could blame you for that, Jack.:)

I do wonder if the sound of your turntable wouldn't be more "correct" (I know it is a dangerous term to use around audiophiles) if you had opted for the acrylic sub-platter rather than one of the two heavier alternatives. I have no doubt that all three provide very different sonic results, all excellent by anyone's definition, as should be expected given the asking price.

Who could blame you for that, Jack.:)

I do wonder if the sound of your turntable wouldn't be more "correct" (I know it is a dangerous term to use around audiophiles) if you had opted for the acrylic sub-platter rather than one of the two heavier alternatives. I have no doubt that all three provide different sonic results, all of them excellent by anyone's definition.

One can't get too dogmatic with designs. I've heard excellent examples of dd, belt, rim and idler drives. As far as platters, they all have their own sound. I also think the platter weight preference also depends on the type of drive system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing