Favorite Rolex?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

One of my fav (next to GMT II Batman and SS Daytona). You need to have a big wrist tho.

I have the GMT-Master II 116710LN (SS, ceramic black bezel) and love it!

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
...Syntax smitten me with the Daytona; well, that and the big micros...

Attachments

• BCFF454B-0961-409C-825F-C8799CED3383.jpeg
    BCFF454B-0961-409C-825F-C8799CED3383.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 29

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Personally, I've always been fond of the Rolex stainless steel sports models, namely for their timeless and classic styling combined with robust every day wear-ability. Right now, my favorites are the Rolex Sea Dweller 43mm and Explorer II (Black dial) which happens to also look smashing when outfitted with leather straps.

Rolex-Sea-Dweller-126600-3.jpg

Last edited:

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Rolex Explorer II (42mm) equipped with a couple of leather straps from Gunny and Hirsch.

IMG_4286 copy.jpg

IMG_4241 copy.jpg

Reactions: Lee

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ah My old girl bought her in 1979 as a commercial Diver been with me to 50m in the Pit Senote in Carmen del Playa and WWII wrecks in
Rabaul/Solomons/ Bougainville--Steve's correct they are not great accurate to the sec -mine drifts every year a few minutes or two
I took a snap --she's just been to the Vet for her 10 year spit and polish:)

Bruce
 TetheredSettings1200022.jpg

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I had that same 1977 Red Sea Dweller.
Bought it new in Barbados 1977 for $500!!
Wish I still had it.....

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
visited my Rolex dealer last weekend- had 1 Yachtmaster, a few DJs, and that's it. They usually stock 50+ watches. unfortunately the same speculation that drives the stock market has spilled over to watches. I could also buy a Nautilus or Aquanaut there a few years ago from the case.

people aren't buying Rolex for Rolex anymore, but just because it's going up in price. I still love my OP39, 4 years later.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Which is your favorite Rolex, and why?

I am not into watches at all, but for some reason I find the Rolex Daytona in yellow gold with the black (really shimmery purple) mother of pearl dial totally beautiful!
Rolex are a fascinating brand and you have to go back to 1969 when they decided to embark on a global marketing campaign to make the brand THE aspirational product for the 'common man'. They were and are spectacularly sucessful. Before that, Omega was the go to watch. They are not particularly innovative but rely on good engineering, quality control, and marketing. They are a fully vertically integrated company , apart from the hands (I could be corrected on this) which gives them total control.

So to answer your question; for me it has to be the Explorer One. A simple ,well engineered sports watch. No bling, no frivolous functionality, good design, and increasing in value! An indication of style over fashion.

If we look at modern watches and try to ignore the race to the bottom with ever increasing size, complexity for the sake of complexity, cheap movements (Swatch have restricted the sale of ETA movements) like the Chinese sea-Gull ebauches that have replaced the ETA ones at a quarter of the cost, what could be a reasonable alternative? As an aside, the restrictive practices of the SWATCH group has driven a number of manufactures to make their own movements for their high end watches which of course is a significant investment with its accompanying price hike.

To the surprise of most people here I would give careful consideration to Grand Seiko. A brand ( Seiko) that is dominated by its thousands of cheap watches it produces every year. However Grand Seiko (a separate division to Seiko) make some of the finest engineered and finished watches on the planet. The steel they use and its finish is in the tradition of the early samurai metal makers, and their dials are meticulously crafted. They are also innovators, creating new aproaches to the watches' power train, and escapement etc. However they are not fashionable, have little product placement or celebrity endorsement, or massive marketing exposure. At a dinner party they will not get glances of admiration or envy.They are an Horologist's brand.

I obviously have an interest in Horology and as an alternative interest to Hi Fi, I rebuild pocket watches and early chronograph watches.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
image.jpg
I’m very happy with this one, my everyday go-to watch. Is the 40mm version which was superseded late last summer.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
To the surprise of most people here I would give careful consideration to Grand Seiko. A brand ( Seiko) that is dominated by its thousands of cheap watches it produces every year. However Grand Seiko (a separate division to Seiko) make some of the finest engineered and finished watches on the planet. The steel they use and its finish is in the tradition of the early samurai metal makers, and their dials are meticulously crafted. They are also innovators, creating new aproaches to the watches' power train, and escapement etc. However they are not fashionable, have little product placement or celebrity endorsement, or massive marketing exposure. At a dinner party they will not get glances of admiration or envy.They are an Horologist's brand.

I obviously have an interest in Horology and as an alternative interest to Hi Fi, I rebuild pocket watches and early chronograph watches.
Have my first Grand Seiko arriving soon- build quality and dial is truly special.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Have my first Grand Seiko arriving soon- build quality and dial is truly special.
Keith. ....they certainly are; especially if you have been able to get the MT. Iwate or Snowflake dial

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith. ....they certainly are; especially if you have been able to get the MT. Iwate or Snowflake dial
I had a boutique Mt. Iwate GMT on order last spring, but cancelled as I really think spring drive represents GS more. So now I have a pink-dialed "Spring" on its way :)

I'll post a wrist shot once it arrives!

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
my grandfather was a horologist so watches both pocket and wrist I do love !

couple of my favorites, my 'Bluesy' and my pride and joy, 1888 Waltham Appleton Tracy

Attachments

• Rolex- Bluesy.jpg
    Rolex- Bluesy.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Waltham Appleton Tracy 1888.jpg
    Waltham Appleton Tracy 1888.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 9

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
I had that same 1977 Red Sea Dweller.
Bought it new in Barbados 1977 for $500!!
Wish I still had it.....
I got mine in 1977 as well. Sold it two years ago to get a Patek Phillipe.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing