Florida Audio Expo 2020

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thats actuallly one of the reasons i got bored of most audioshows .
The products which are shown usually dont reflect real (music) use , mostly easy audiophile recordings .
Not a test of the gear really , its only rare that one gets a good demonstration.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's a funny thing when we go to show. Mostly what's played by exhibitors are songs with really good sonics, tracks with extreme dynamics or "safe" songs.

With our crew, we pretty much agree that we'd rather eat nails than have to go through that for three days at a time. Probably the only genres we haven't played are Reggae (Infinitely Baffled is giving me tips) , K and J Pop. A Server and 2 small crates of LP. We even allow guests to stream Spotify if the room isn't full. It's not easy since you have to read the crowd just by their looks and body language but we have no other way of guessing what they might like without having to ask every three songs. Unless of course you get to have a quick chat :)

I play a lot of significantly cultural or what I guess are generational tracks but in a specific way. What the hits were in that period of early adulthood and at least some basics of the corresponding counter culture. We get a lot of 20 year olds at our show, One of the groups was a trio of young female music students. They started with Starker and ended with Coldplay. The recording engineers from the Focal Pro room were there to demonstrate an on site recording between a tenor and a rapper. I played them some Royal Ballet music just because I saw them to be open minded. Best compliment I ever got than the couple of ladies who have cried was the head engineer jumping up giddy, turning to his assistants saying "This is the GOAL!". Leif was lying down behind the racks nursing his bad back ROFL :D Weeknd, Bruno, Beyonce, Drake, Snoop, ACDC, The Cult, New Order heck Evanesence for this one teen goth girl who misplaced her Dad somehow. It's all fair game. I mean sure we want to show off what a system can do but those times are chosen for when you can tell this what these people want. Be they potential buyers or goers who travelled through horror traffiic to maybe experience a SHOW. Otherwise, wee figure sure the recordings may not be great but if you can see that the guests are just coming into thee hobby, you have to be confident enough that your systems make their tourchstone songs sound better than they have ever heard before but more hopefully bring the significance of that song back. When we get it right, which I wish could be more often, the tiredness evaporates. It's a Show right? Entertain! :D

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
By kind invitation, my friend and I went back to the VS-VAC room Saturday evening after Damon and all came back from dinner. We spent the late evening listening to all kinds of music on the Ultra 11, ending in a spectacular listening on vinyl of the last movement to Beethoven's 9th (I should remember the recording, but unfortunately I don't). One of the interesting things that, IME, VS speakers do better than most is, no matter how far you turn up the volume (relative to room limitations) the sound never gets hard, glarey, or painful. Short of live I've never heard that glorious piece of music sound better!

AudioAnalyst

Industry Expert
By kind invitation, my friend and I went back to the VS-VAC room Saturday evening after Damon and all came back from dinner. We spent the late evening listening to all kinds of music on the Ultra 11, ending in a spectacular listening on vinyl of the last movement to Beethoven's 9th (I should remember the recording, but unfortunately I don't). One of the interesting things that, IME, VS speakers do better than most is, no matter how far you turn up the volume (relative to room limitations) the sound never gets hard, glarey, or painful. Short of live I've never heard that glorious piece of music sound better!

Hello Tony22... The Beethoven's Ninth you heard was one I turned these guys on to at Capital Audiofest 2017... It is Symphony No. 9 In D Minor, Op. 125 'Choral,' by Sir Georg Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra And Chorus. It was originally released in 1972 on London Records CSP 8 (and CS.6933), later reissued on the Decca Jubilee label as Decca 6BB 121/2, (or 6BB 121, 6BB 122). Though I have copies of both earlier releases, the version that I prefer, and the one that they have and that you heard, was the 1981 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ½ Speed remaster, MFSL 2-516. It is by some large degree the quietest, most dynamic, and most natural sounding version of the recording I’ve yet heard.

Reactions: tony22 and Leif S

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hello Tony22... The Beethoven's Ninth you heard was one I turned these guys on to at Capital Audiofest 2017... It is Symphony No. 9 In D Minor, Op. 125 'Choral,' by Sir Georg Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra And Chorus. It was originally released in 1972 on London Records CSP 8 (and CS.6933), later reissued on the Decca Jubilee label as Decca 6BB 121/2, (or 6BB 121, 6BB 122). Though I have copies of both earlier releases, the version that I prefer, and the one that they have and that you heard, was the 1981 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ½ Speed remaster, MFSL 2-516. It is by some large degree the quietest, most dynamic, and most natural sounding version of the recording I’ve yet heard.
We LOVE IT!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Great to see accolades for VSA from the audiophile press these last few years but I found this posting from Lukasz Fikus to be especially gratifying given he's an actual designer of high end audio gear and has no reason to post these comments other than sincere appreciation for what VSA and VAC have done at this show and prior shows.

LampizatOr comments on VSA

That was very nice of Lukasz to write!

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Hello Tony22... The Beethoven's Ninth you heard was one I turned these guys on to at Capital Audiofest 2017

Thanks Greg. BTW I had a great time at your playing session at CAF 2019!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Jack when it comes to Reggae you can't go wrong woth Bob Marley. We hardcore fans can go a litrle deeper. Good music and generraly well recorded.
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Natty Dread.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountainjoe

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is the Decca Solti Beethoven 9th

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Yeah, that Solti 9th is Kicken-Assen! I have a Solti Beethoven box set but don't think I have tapped it, it's in one of the piles. I'll check it out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing