For what it's Worth-Tesla

If there is a emp blast, you have so much more to worry about. And no, your manually piloted car won't work either. An old mustang might. But your fancy newer car has so many computers and circuit boards inside. They will fry and the car will stop.
I would like to see where the crash numbers are for auto pilot cars now. They have plenty of test loging millions of miles going on with ubers and taxi where the driver sits there but does nothing. Just ready to grab the wheel or hit the brake if needed. I am making a guess, but I bet autonomous cars are safer by a factor. I bet fatalities would fall to less than 3000 a year in the US if manual operation of cars was outlawed. I believe people would rather risk death and dismemberment than
1 loose the freedom to travel where you want.
2 general fear of the unknown. Or shall I say, the lack of control over the environment surrounding you. Sort of like when you let your wife drive and its a pucker fest the whole way home.
I guess humorous comments are a bit lost on you...thank god I have Lagonda on this forum to tell when something is a joke... :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Holmz and Lagonda
I have bookmarked this post with a special notification alarm, set to be triggered exactly 10 years from today, so we will be sure to evaluate then this prediction.
I seem to remember Elon Musk being quoted as saying that the driverless car has proven to be far more difficult than they could have imagined...perhaps a nut that is ultimately too tough to crack?

Here’s an interesting statistic from Wikipedia showing the growth or decline in deaths due to automobile accidents world wide. Notice that in Europe it’s been steadily declining. In the US it’s rising. Russia seems to be much worse previously but now less than the US. Not sure why they had a big decline. Will autonomous driving increase or decrease the total number of deaths? That’s the trillion dollar question. It’s arguable that fully autonomous cars may reduce deaths due to drunk drivers, elderly, folks distracted by texting and kids. But there would be a significant increase in fatalities that involve autonomous cars. I do believe fully autonomous cars will reduce fatalities overall but society will have to accept a larger percentage of deaths from self-driving cars.

View attachment 138213
The problem of full self driving is not one of sensors alone. That’s the classic mistake that Tesla, Waymo and the rest make. Driving requires reasoning, thinking and above all, modeling human behavior. When you drive, you actively model the behavior of drivers around you. Is the person near me driving aggressively, cautiously, drunk etc. Am I entering a zone where accidents are common? Is it OK to drive above the speed limit here because almost everyone does? I live close to 101. If you drove at 101 at the speed limit of 65 mph, you’d likely get killed because the joker behind you is expecting you to drive at 75!

In short, driving is what is often referred to as an AI-complete problem, meaning it requires fusing multiple modalities, from vision to motor coordination to common sense reasoning. That’s why FSD without human supervision is a pipe dream. The idea that Tesla Robotaxis that come without steering wheels or brakes would be approved by the Government for public use is wishful thinking. At best, FSD is souped up cruise control. It relieves you from constantly having to press the pedals, steering the car and prevents accidents from you falling asleep. But there’s no substitute to human-level behavior modeling.

If you do an analysis of self-driving car accidents in San Francisco, it reminds me of Murphy’s law: if something can go wrong, it will.

View attachment 138238

The problem of full self driving is not one of sensors alone. That’s the classic mistake that Tesla, Waymo and the rest make. Driving requires reasoning, thinking and above all, modeling human behavior. When you drive, you actively model the behavior of drivers around you. Is the person near me driving aggressively, cautiously, drunk etc. Am I entering a zone where accidents are common? Is it OK to drive above the speed limit here because almost everyone does? I live close to 101. If you drove at 101 at the speed limit of 65 mph, you’d likely get killed because the joker behind you is expecting you to drive at 75!

In short, driving is what is often referred to as an AI-complete problem, meaning it requires fusing multiple modalities, from vision to motor coordination to common sense reasoning. That’s why FSD without human supervision is a pipe dream. The idea that Tesla Robotaxis that come without steering wheels or brakes would be approved by the Government for public use is wishful thinking. At best, FSD is souped up cruise control. It relieves you from constantly having to press the pedals, steering the car and prevents accidents from you falling asleep. But there’s no substitute to human-level behavior modeling.

If you do an analysis of self-driving car accidents in San Francisco, it reminds me of Murphy’s law: if something can go wrong, it will.

View attachment 138238

thanks, interesting. If you were to overlay the total number of accidents over
If there is a emp blast, you have so much more to worry about. And no, your manually piloted car won't work either. An old mustang might. But your fancy newer car has so many computers and circuit boards inside. They will fry and the car will stop.
I would like to see where the crash numbers are for auto pilot cars now. They have plenty of test loging millions of miles going on with ubers and taxi where the driver sits there but does nothing. Just ready to grab the wheel or hit the brake if needed. I am making a guess, but I bet autonomous cars are safer by a factor. I bet fatalities would fall to less than 3000 a year in the US if manual operation of cars was outlawed. I believe people would rather risk death and dismemberment than
1 loose the freedom to travel where you want.
2 general fear of the unknown. Or shall I say, the lack of control over the environment surrounding you. Sort of like when you let your wife drive and its a pucker fest the whole way home.
"MiG-25 is really an old jet, it was developed in 1960-s and adopted in 1970. At the time of the development, Soviet capability to produce solid state electronics was limited. Resistance of tube based avionics to EMP was an advantage. "

Don't know if the statement above is true, but got me thinking that the "tube first" advocates got it right. :)

Honestly, I don't worry about EMP. If we get into a place where someone launches a intercontinental missle, were gonna be dealing with a lot of warheads striking the earth. I honestly worry more about AI coupled with Boston Dynamics and how quickly we are headed to armed robotic militaries that will supress the people of the earth. Any government, foreign or your own are the threat.

Look on the interet at sites devoted to military. You will quickly become aware how big the money in AI is going to military spending. A human pilot has never beat an AI in a real or simulated dog fight. What do you think is guiding the missles in Isreals Iron dome. And they are only.getting better by the day. And you can't stop its growth and evolution. Its like Openheimers bomb or the invention of steel. Made for good but you will never stop humans from utilizing it for bad. Foreign powers like China are heavily invested in creating a AI driven military. If others don't have one, you would risk being overun like a blitzkrieg.

I think it'll take competent AI to accomplish FSD. Currently, AI is not competent enough. I think it'll take another 5 years before we get FSD where the driver can take a nap or whatever. Cars will always have manual controls though, even if rarely used.

I don't think the public will accept many accidents and deaths from FSD even if they are a lot less frequent than human drivers. With human driving you feel like you're in control even if that may not be the case in all situations. With FSD you relinquish all control which is hard to do and hard to accept when it doesn't work.

I have bookmarked this post with a special notification alarm, set to be triggered exactly 10 years from today, so we will be sure to evaluate then this prediction.
You are not worried about that EMP then.

Brad drives a carburetor equipped 12 cylinder Jaguar E type ! ;)
I hope he has a few carbs on there, in case one is dodgy.
Was the “E” type for non-Electronic?

You are not worried about that EMP then.

I hope he has a few carbs on there, in case one is dodgy.
Was the “E” type for non-Electronic?
It was a joke, Brad drives a new Maserati, but still manually :p

Reactions: Holmz
From what i read online is that the reason why the Tesla truck is not allowed in europe are several .

Weight
The truck weighs around 3 tons and with passengers and gear it could exceed 3.5 tons in which case you need a Light truck license and only can drive 90 km/ h .
The rear Lights dont have the right colour and the sharp edges like already mentioned.

It seems Elon did nt really care about the European market sales

Last edited:
It was a joke, Brad drives a new Maserati, but still manually :p
Yeah - I got the humour…

Why do they have a devil’s pitchfork on the front of the Maserati?
Maybe that needs to be put on a Tesla instead? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
I wonder about chips and CB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu