For what it's Worth-Tesla

If there is a emp blast, you have so much more to worry about. And no, your manually piloted car won't work either. An old mustang might. But your fancy newer car has so many computers and circuit boards inside. They will fry and the car will stop.
I would like to see where the crash numbers are for auto pilot cars now. They have plenty of test loging millions of miles going on with ubers and taxi where the driver sits there but does nothing. Just ready to grab the wheel or hit the brake if needed. I am making a guess, but I bet autonomous cars are safer by a factor. I bet fatalities would fall to less than 3000 a year in the US if manual operation of cars was outlawed. I believe people would rather risk death and dismemberment than
1 loose the freedom to travel where you want.
2 general fear of the unknown. Or shall I say, the lack of control over the environment surrounding you. Sort of like when you let your wife drive and its a pucker fest the whole way home.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
If there is a emp blast, you have so much more to worry about. And no, your manually piloted car won't work either. An old mustang might. But your fancy newer car has so many computers and circuit boards inside. They will fry and the car will stop.
I would like to see where the crash numbers are for auto pilot cars now. They have plenty of test loging millions of miles going on with ubers and taxi where the driver sits there but does nothing. Just ready to grab the wheel or hit the brake if needed. I am making a guess, but I bet autonomous cars are safer by a factor. I bet fatalities would fall to less than 3000 a year in the US if manual operation of cars was outlawed. I believe people would rather risk death and dismemberment than
1 loose the freedom to travel where you want.
2 general fear of the unknown. Or shall I say, the lack of control over the environment surrounding you. Sort of like when you let your wife drive and its a pucker fest the whole way home.
Brad drives a carburetor equipped 12 cylinder Jaguar E type ! ;)

I will take a computer over 70-90 year old drivers any day of the week, slow reflexes and bad eye sight/ hearing make them drive unpredictable/ dangerous. This problem is prevalent in Florida, the older they get, the larger the Cadillac, and they all hit the brakes instantly on Interstate Highways when it starts raining . They get rooted out better in Europe where most Countries have extra tests once you hit a certain age. :eek:
Here’s an interesting statistic from Wikipedia showing the growth or decline in deaths due to automobile accidents world wide. Notice that in Europe it’s been steadily declining. In the US it’s rising. Russia seems to be much worse previously but now less than the US. Not sure why they had a big decline. Will autonomous driving increase or decrease the total number of deaths? That’s the trillion dollar question. It’s arguable that fully autonomous cars may reduce deaths due to drunk drivers, elderly, folks distracted by texting and kids. But there would be a significant increase in fatalities that involve autonomous cars. I do believe fully autonomous cars will reduce fatalities overall but society will have to accept a larger percentage of deaths from self-driving cars.

1729526830652.png

Brad drives a carburetor equipped 12 cylinder Jaguar E type ! ;)
Well he is doomed with or without an EMP. Lucas ignitions are their own worst enemy.

• Haha
Here’s an interesting statistic from Wikipedia showing the growth or decline in deaths due to automobile accidents world wide. Notice that in Europe it’s been steadily declining. In the US it’s rising. Russia seems to be much worse previously but now less than the US. Not sure why they had a big decline. Will autonomous driving increase or decrease the total number of deaths? That’s the trillion dollar question. It’s arguable that fully autonomous cars may reduce deaths due to drunk drivers, elderly, folks distracted by texting and kids. But there would be a significant increase in fatalities that involve autonomous cars. I do believe fully autonomous cars will reduce fatalities overall but society will have to accept a larger percentage of deaths from self-driving cars.

View attachment 138213
I know nothing specific about this topic, but it makes intuitive sense that an increase in the number of self-driving cars would be correlated with a decrease in overall automobile fatalities.

I don't think a rise in the number of fatalities from self-driving cars per se would be a problem -- as long as the overall number of automobile fatalities declines as a result of self-driving car proliferation -- as I think most people would be agnostic as to whether they are killed by a self-driving car or by a drunk human.

Well he is doomed with or without an EMP. Lucas ignitions are their own worst enemy.
I think my Aston Martin had Lucas ignition, and Italian Magneti Marelli fuel injection, i had to change all that at one point of course ! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
More fallback from the Tesla We, Robot demo as the Optimus humanoids were bring teleoperated remotely by humans. I’m not surprised. The control of a full body humanoid is extremely challenging and we’re not there yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu