For what it's Worth-Tesla

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Its the Xdrive 30 all wheel drive 314 HP.
Drives great love the regenerative braking.
Drives better then a petrol. More quit
I rarely have need to use the brakes on my car as I typically rely on regenerative braking. It took me a month to feel comfortable driving the car

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
So far driving electric for a month .
Drives very nice , BMW makes great driving cars especially with the adaptive suspension which mine has .
Parking assist works great, everything can be checked on the mobile phone app
I dont think i wanna go back to petrol , no contact anymore with (dirty petrol ) , oil and hardly any moving parts / no maintenance .
Off course a bit more range would be nice , i average around 370 km on a full charge

Only annoying thing are these annoying petrol fumes coming from the gas station , cant they like built a wall around those :confused: :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardener

Steve Williams

Tesla not only has adaptive suspension but it remembers every place that the suspension was altered so that when the car is at the same place the adaptive suspension there always is the same

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Steve Williams

I assume that would be only available with higher models like the S .??
Yes. What is amazing is that it remembers where every pot hole in the road is and immediately changes the suspension before going over it

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes the GV=80SUV has road preview. It samples the road and automatically adjusts for imperfection such as speedbumps and potholes,

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
What car has no maintenance? I'm looking at the BMW I5/I7 and all of them have the option for a BMW Maintenance Program.

Yeah, its an overstated issue. Both of my current cars, 5 and 7 years old, have only required basic maintenance. For my BMW 2-series, oil changes once a year and trans never needs a fluid change, other things are infrequent and easy/cheap, like air filters or rear diff oil. The other car gets used for autocross and track, but even with that demanding use it's been relatively cheap and easy. ICE is fairly mature tech.

I'd agree an EV has even less maintenance and maybe improved reliability, but that's hard to gauge yet. Either way, it's not a good reason to choose one over the other, use case is the real issue, for some it makes a lot of sense, for others maybe not. Drive whatever floats your boat, IMO it doesn't matter all that much.

Reactions: dbeau and christoph

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My group of friends owns cars including Maserati, BMW, Audi, Mercedes. I think each of us feels that these cars, when purchased new, may be quite reliable and maintenance free for the first few years, but come 60,000 miles or so and six or seven years or so I believe each of us would be quite nervous to continue to own one of these cars without a comprehensive extended warranty.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
My group of friends owns cars including Maserati, BMW, Audi, Mercedes. I think each of us feels that these cars, when purchased new, may be quite reliable and maintenance free for the first few years, but come 60,000 miles or so and six or seven years or so I believe each of us would be quite nervous to continue to own one of these cars without a comprehensive extended warranty.
Yes I guess it depends on how one looks at things. I drive a 2015 Audi A8 which has about 80K miles on it. I have no payments, the insurance is pretty cheap, as is the taxes. Now I can go buy a new car and spend 80K - 100K or fix my car when it breaks. So far it has been pretty reliable. Now I know I will replace it in a few years, mostly because I will want something else. I think cars today will easily give you 150K+ miles if you take care of them.

I have no comprehensive extended warranty.

Steve Williams

The only thing wet In a Tesla is the windshield wiper fluid. My son has owned his for the past 5 years and has never had to change the brakes and the tire only once very recently. Short of that there is no maintenance as a matter of routine. Regenerative braking is a wonder. I rarely if ever use my brakes.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
The only thing wet In a Tesla is the windshield wiper fluid. My son has owned his for the past 5 years and has never had to change the brakes and the tire only once very recently. Short of that there is no maintenance as a matter of routine. Regenerative braking is a wonder. I rarely if ever use my brakes.
Agreed. I’ve owned my Model Y for three years and other than getting the brake pads adjusted this summer, I haven’t spent anything on maintenance. Given the mileage, I even had a look at the service schedule this past weekend, thinking there must be SOMETHING that needs attention. I think there are a couple of air filters I could replace, but that’s it.

I enjoy my Tesla so much that I look for reasons to drive it. My daughter, who attends university 100 km from home, has been surprised by my willingness to drive her to and from school!

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
As a huge EV fan we need to stop this. ALL cars have a need to be serviced as there is plenty of things that needs attention. I assume your car have brakes which take brake fluid. How about A/C and lube for parts/joints, etc.

No matter how much you use your brakes, you still need to change the fluid after a certain amount of time. Now you don't have to but it is recommended. Tire wear is usually a result of how much you drive.

Maintenance on EV cars are different but is required/needed.

This isn't to take aways from EVs in any way. But this idea that the car doesn't require anything but electricity is a bit much. If this was the case, EV makers wouldn't have a recommended service schedule.

Reactions: DaveC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing