Full range speakers or not and how loud

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Solypsa, I really have no clue.
I whipped out my iPhone 12 with Decibel X app on it and that is what it read.

You should buy a real SPL meter; there are pretty decent ones at Amazon for less than 20 bucks, like the BAFX3370.

No offense, but iPhone SPL readings are complete trash. They can be off by as much as 15 dB -- totally useless.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Not offended and not surprised.
I have an old Radio Shack meter laying around somewhere. I have really never been interested in the db level but I found the thread fascinating so I checked with something I didn't need to get up out of my listening chair. :)
I know I don't listen very loud as many people that come to hear my system prefer it louder that I like. I will just leave the room and let them enjoy it louder at times.

Reactions: Al M.

Motoman

Jul 24, 2021
Miami Beach

Motoman

Jul 24, 2021
Miami Beach
That’s a very comfortable level.
Rarely do I crank it up past 90db, which is usually classic rock. The problem is that so many classic rock recordings sound like crap with a higher end system, and since I also have a ton of Led Zep bootlegs, well, let's just say that the louder a less than good album is played, the more it is painful to listen to. So I guess it is self-limiting, LOL!

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I typically listen @ mid 80's average depending on the source material. I have digital SPL meter which is set to c weighting and "slow". It has a "fast" with a peak hold feature and it's not all that uncommon to see a 20db peak recorded. Just shows you how much power your speakers can swallow in fast transients that you don't judge subjectively as being objectionably loud.

Rob :)

jahnghalt

Sep 7, 2014
My unconfirmed answer - 90-95 dB - louder after the 4th martini. "Confirmation" possibly not required - see below.

Over the years I've been a "good guesser" estimating "peak" SPL's on home audio systems.

WTH does that MEAN, Ghalt???

It MEANS, that, with relatively low dynamic range rock and R&B, I listen and second guess myself for a few minutes - then come out with a number. Then I turn on the once ubiquitous Radio Shack SPL meter - check the battery - flip the switches to "SLOW" and "C"
(slow needle ballistics, "C"-weighting)

and find that I'm usually within 1-2 dB of the needle at the top of it's swing - rarely off by 3db.

Alas, for some time my Rat Shack meter has been dead.

FWIW - I have recently "performed well" with a friend's less-vintage Rat Shack meter with an LED readout.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing