Genesis Prime + (& G7s) @ Pacific Audio Fest June 23 - 25 2023

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hope to see friends from the forum there. :)

Genesis Shows the Prime+ at the Pacific Audio Fest 2023

Woodinville, WA – Genesis Advanced Technologies is proud to announce the chance of a lifetime for music lovers and audiophiles to experience firsthand, the life-changing sound of the Genesis® flagship loudspeaker system, the new Genesis Prime+ at the Pacific Audio Fest, June 23 – 25, in Cascade 9 at the DoubleTree Hilton Airport, SeaTac, WA.

The Prime+ is the 10th generation of the Genesis flagship loudspeaker system. The original four tower system, the IRS was designed to be an internal reference system by legendary speaker designer Arnie Nudell of Infinity but demand for the state-of-the-art speaker system persuaded him to launch them in 1980 as a home system for the discerning, well-heeled music lover.

The first four iterations were designed by Arnie at Infinity with the 5th and 6th at Genesis. The 7th generation was designed jointly between Arnie and Gary Leonard Koh who brought a whole systems approach to loudspeaker and amplifier design. Gary carried on with design when Arnie retired in 2006, with the Dragon, the Prime and now, the Prime+.

The Prime+ is designed to reproduce music effortlessly with virtually no restrictions on dynamic range, clarity, or width, breadth and height of soundstage. Designed with a huge listening “sweet spot,” there are several “best seats in the house” for enjoying the ultimate listening experience with friends and family.

“The objective of all of my designs is to deliver music as performed,” said Gary Leonard Koh, Chief Designer and CEO of Genesis Advanced Technologies. “I want to listen to the musicians, not the equipment. That is my definition of ‘transparency’ – like there is no gear in the way and the musicians miraculously appear before you. Live!”

The four-tower line-source loudspeaker featuring separate midrange/tweeter “wings” and servo-controlled woofer towers sets the reference standard for absolute fidelity® in music reproduction in the home. It shows what a large, no-compromise, line-source dipole can achieve and each succeeding generation of the speaker system in the last 40 years has achieved greater transparency and coherence across the musical frequency spectrum.

“Music lovers who have heard Genesis line-source speakers are universal in their reactions of utter amazement that recorded music could sound so live. I’ve witnessed people moved to tears when they listen to even the Quartet, the 2nd in our system line-up.” Said Carolyn Koh, Vice President and COO. “Gary calls his first encounter with the IRS, life-changing, and I remember clearly my goose-bumps reaction when I first heard the Genesis 1.1 in the warehouse – as poor a space for listening as there could be.”

The Genesis Prime+ is a custom commission—built in the USA for discerning music-lovers worldwide and retails at $680,000.00. Despite the demand, few distributors or dealers have the appropriate space to display and demonstrate the four tower system. Don’t miss this once in a life time opportunity to experience the superlative sound of the Genesis Prime+.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Isn't it pretty?? I must say that it was totally a goose-bumps moment for me the first time I heard them. I'd just come from concerts in the Midwest with full orchestras and Gary tells me to stand in front of them, with my back to them. Then he asks me the last piece of music I sang with orchestra, and puts it on. My hair stood on end, my jaw dropped. Literally. And this was just in a warehouse. Back in 2004. That was iteration no. 6 - the Genesis 1.1 - it's now on iteration no. 10.

Prime+ on Black stage web-ready.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Ron Resnick

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Genesis Prime+ is the 10th generation of the four-tower line-source loudspeaker system. The first 6 iterations were by Arnie Nudell – the IRS 1 through V (there was no 4), then the Genesis 1 and 1.1 . The 7th generation, the G 1.2 was designed jointly between Arnie and Gary Leonard Koh who brought a whole systems approach to the design. Prior to acquiring Genesis, Gary’s background was in definition and design of complex nation-wide IT systems in Singapore. The 8th to 10th generation, the Dragon, Prime, and now the Prime+ were designed by Gary after Arnie’s retirement in 2006.

The whole systems approach that Gary brought to Genesis design can be seen in the development and improvement of various parts of systems and brought to the whole. From major structural changes that utilize new materials and construction techniques to working with suppliers to improve transducers, capacitors and transformers. These improvements are then implemented throughout the product line in incremental rolling product updates.

The detailed improvements and development of the Genesis Prime may be downloaded from the product page on the Genesis website: https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/prime

The Prime+ continues this development with:

Improved structural design. Isolation of the midrange/tweeter baffle from the “wings” so that bass energy absorbed by the carbon-fiber/composite sandwich wings is not transferred to the Corian/HMWA sandwich midrange/tweeter panel. The first carbon-fiber/composite constrained-layer damped sandwich was introduced by Gary in the Genesis Dragon in 2021. The current Prime+ features an improved sandwich, as well as a different sandwich for the midrange/tweeter baffle.

Adjustable suspension. The first adjustable suspension was launched on the Genesis 5.2 (currently the Maestro) which allowed for precise alignment of the speakers per Gary’s loudspeaker tuning and placement process. The Prime+ suspension is machined out of solid aluminum, shock absorbers tuned to the precise weight of the product, and stainless steel spikes to anchor the suspension frame to the ground. Much like a race car's suspension system, the acoustic suspension protects the Prime+ from floor- or structure-borne vibrations while allowing set-up and alignment.

Improved capacitors lower the time-constant in the crossover. The pandemic created a crisis of supply disruptions. This however, created an environment where smaller companies could step into the breach with a willingness to work with specialty customers to develop and improve their offerings. Gary found such a company and working with the designer, improved their capacitors with different material and construction techniques.

Improved servo-system. Very few loudspeakers use servo drives, either because of design difficulty, expense, or because of the extraordinary demands a servo system makes on the amplifier and the transducer. It demands an extremely powerful and current-capable amplifier, and a tremendously strong transducer. Genesis has had 30 years of experience with servo-systems. This latest iteration, developed and launched with the Maestro in 2019, results in a more responsive system and faster, more dynamic bass.

Improved DPDS (Dynamic Power Delivery System). In 2007, Genesis introduced a revolutionary new power supply that is designed to deliver current into a non-linear, dynamic musical load, leading to a sense of power with finesse. Applied to the Servo-Subwoofer Amplifiers, the DPDS delivers greater speed, dynamics, and definition in the bass - resulting in floor-shaking musical bass. The latest DPDS uses the pure perfect fifth of the Pythagorean progression to calculate the time constant of power capacitors in the power supply.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Also... the G7s! We have a brand new entry-level series and will be showing 2 prototypes - "Good" and "Better" - we could not complete "Best" in time. Also - we are giving away CDs and LPs as prizes for best names submitted for the series. Yes, there will be some of Gary's "unobtanium" in LPs. We won't have the prizes on show though, because its a "need not be present to win" contest as we want to take our time to review the names submitted, and also we will be providing a choice of format - CDs, LPs and "not picky" - on the contest form.

Genesis Launches the Entry-Level G7 Series at the Pacific Audio Fest 2023

Woodinville, WA – Genesis Advanced Technologies announces a new line-up of passive floor standing loudspeakers at the Pacific Audio Fest, June 23 – 25 in Cascade 9 at the DoubleTree Hilton, SeaTac, WA.

The original Genesis® 7-series started as bookshelf speakers in 2005: the G7c (Convertible) was designed by Arnie Nudell, followed by the G7p (Petite) designed by his design successor in Genesis, Gary Leonard Koh. A floor standing G7f with an active side firing woofer was launched in 2010 and won Best of Innovations for Home Theater Speakers at the 2010 International CES. The line was retired in 2018 with a planned re-launch in 2020.

“I design to deliver music,” said Gary Leonard Koh, Chief Designer and CEO of Genesis Advanced Technologies. “I want to listen to the music, not the gear, and that is what I mean by ‘transparency’. The equipment gets out of the way and the musicians appear miraculously in front of you when you listen to my designs, from the Prime+ down to the entry level 7s.”

“The beauty of Gary’s designs is such that even the ‘baby’ of the line is able to reproduce the full tones of a grand piano,” Carolyn Koh, Vice President and COO said. “I’m a pianist and when Gary asked what would be ‘good enough’ for me, I said that it would be for them to be able to reproduce a superlative recording of Bach’s Goldberg Variations, and you know what? He did it.”

“When I started 15 years ago, it took me two years just to voice the Petite,” agreed Gary, “Unlike some brands that use cheaper components for their entry level loudspeakers; we use the same proprietary parts like tweeters and capacitors across the entire loudspeaker line. Using the same technology, I am able to deliver absolute fidelity that appeal to audiophiles and music lovers alike.”

Both the epitome of 40 years of constant improvement and innovation of the iconic “biggest and best loudspeaker in the world” – the Prime+ - and the trickle-down technology infusing the entry-level models of the entry-level line will be featured at the Pacific Audio Fest. Discerning attendees will recognize the same familial sound when they hear both the entry-level series and the flagship of the line.

R&D prototypes of the G7 series speakers will be shown with Heed electronics represented by Profundo Audio in Cascade 9 at the DoubleTree Hilton. The Genesis 7 series will retail for $8,000 to $20,000. More information will be available at https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/ once the series enters production.

Genesis will also sponsor a “name the Genesis G7 series loudspeakers” contest with prizes of music CDs and LPs to be won.

Tickets for the festival may be purchased online at https://www.pacificaudiofest.com/ or at the door.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
My personal speakers. The ones I have at home - mounted on the wall above my piano - a C.1903 Knabe upright grand - are the G7p - Petites. :) Friends are always surprised at how good my sound is.

Here are the new prototypes in Bamboo. The look/color is pretty Retro for these two. No. 3 is in Walnut veneer and I think it looks even better. I like how the bamboo "banding" that runs around the border looks contrasted against the walnut.

Genesis G7 Series web-ready.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on all of these product developments, Carolyn and Gary!

Reactions: garylkoh

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for Gary's new designs on this forum. No one has replied to the announcement. Why is that?

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Most importantly neither has Gary , were these Gen 1 type Prime at the Show ? I havent seen one report on this , no video , no room pics from Genesis , nothing ..!

C’mon Gary lets see something on these big boys ..!

:)

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Absolute Sound had a two-part video on the Pacific Audio Fest. Two parts, 25 - 30 minutes each. Not a minute of it devoted to Gary's room. What he had to offer certainly looks impressive. Why no interest in Gary's speakers?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My guess is Gary does not play the review game.

Reactions: garylkoh

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Thats fine , you dont need to with todays Matrix , but to showcase your flagship without doing your own Promo all over doesn't introduce a demand for reviewers to come calling ..!

Note the video above is not’s Gary’s ...!

Regards

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for Gary's new designs on this forum. No one has replied to the announcement. Why is that?
I dunno. People think I'm irrelevant? That I don't know enough about my speakers to talk about them? Part of my working life is doing the marketing / ads / social media posts. I got a whole lot more reactions to my personal life - the kittens I foster. Maybe if I post Genesis announcements using Gary's log-in I'll get better results?

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
I dunno. People think I'm irrelevant? That I don't know enough about my speakers to talk about them? Part of my working life is doing the marketing / ads / social media posts. I got a whole lot more reactions to my personal life - the kittens I foster. Maybe if I post Genesis announcements using Gary's log-in I'll get better results?
Maybe it's also because I'm a woman and I post photos of kittens that members think I don't know enough about my own company?

Gary is busy designing so I get to chat on forums.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thats fine , you dont need to with todays Matrix , but to showcase your flagship without doing your own Promo all over doesn't introduce a demand for reviewers to come calling ..!

Note the video above is not’s Gary’s ...!

Regards
Oh, believe you me. I email blasted both Press Releases to the audiophile media as well as local media. We can't command what the press decides to publish. We can influence with ad $$$ of course, and as anyone who works in PR knows, $$$ talks. I worked in Games before Audio and the press behave similarly.
We got King5 (local TV) to come but they did not do a full feature, just a short interview with Lou Hinckley in the registration area.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Part-Time Audiophile was one of the first to file their reports, and Marc Phillips was quite complimentary, saying:

"while the Primes were certainly magnificent in every conceivable away, it was the Genesis G7 One two-ways that I wanted to steal and take home with me. That smaller Genesis system had extraordinary appeal for me""

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
HiFi Pig wasn't there, but they asked me for photos of the room and did a combined press-release + photos from the show floor article.

https://www.hifipig.com/genesis-g7-series-loudspeakers/

Although we did not think that we would be showing the "Best" of the prototype G7 series, they are, in my opinion, the prettiest, and I asked if we couldn't just have them there for show. We did not play them as they aren't sonically ready for the "big time" yet, but Gary tightened that last screw, we loaded them into his car and he drove them there.

carolkoh

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Carol,

The photos of your room look terrific!

Have you and Gary had an opportunity to compare the sound of the Analog Audio Design tape machine to the sound of your Studer? What are your comparative sonic impressions of each machine?

Thank you!

Reactions: carolkoh

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing