Golden Globes Awards This Sunday

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
To me, Fleabag isn't a comedy. It is very serious story of a troubled, lost 30ish woman. There are humorous parts but if people (not you Marc) think it is something to just laugh at they are missing the meat of the show.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have come to regard these award shows as glorified advertising, but I think Bob did pretty well in his predictions overall.

It would have been nice to see Alan Arkin get something for 'Kominsky Method', but I haven't seen the competition.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
To me, Fleabag isn't a comedy. It is very serious story of a troubled, lost 30ish woman. There are humorous parts but if people (not you Marc) think it is something to just laugh at they are missing the meat of the show.
I really wanted to get into it. Happy to admit maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind for it. It certainly doesn't position itself as a drama or even comedy/drama, so yours is an interesting take.

I guess I struggle w aspects of total outlandishness in some scenes and middle class dinner party moires.

I'll give it another shot. PWB certainly is v talented and a jewel.

Reactions: dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have learned to not get distracted by some outlandishness as long as there is a real message trying to be delivered. If something is just one bad bit after another with no real meat I have troubled staying interested.

PWB is so talented and has done an amazing job of depicting how someone can struggle and how it can disrupt even the simple things in life.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have come to regard these award shows as glorified advertising, but I think Bob did pretty well in his predictions overall.

It would have been nice to see Alan Arkin get something for 'Kominsky Method', but I haven't seen the competition.
We just finished second season of Kominsky. It ended on a down note but in each episode there are so many funny moments. Alan Arkin is superb. It is so easy to watch with each episode just over 20 minutes

Reactions: jazdoc

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
And my only other comment is .....

how does Flea Bag beat Mrs Maisel and Rachel Brosnahan two years in a row

I watched the first episode of Flea Bag. I couldn't watch more

Totally agree. I watched 3 episodes and then said "enough is enough". Vile is not comedy. Disgusting is not funny. I always thought British humor was far better than that. Acting is what Brosnahan does and how she did not win is a mystery to me. What Flea Bag's star Phoebe Waller-Bridge does is called pandering with material that is intentionally so repulsive as to fool some into thinking it's cool. I'd prevent my kids from watching it if I could.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Couldn’t disagree more about Fleabag. Repulsive? Hmmm. I guess we are watching different shows.

Mrs. Maisel was a great show. Now, the story lines are forced and the majority of the characters are terrible. They ran out of material after 1.5 seasons.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeffrey, I agree re Ricky. Not the biggest fan of his stand up, but The Office is in top ten of greatest ever comedies.

Do you feel he considers himself a class apart from the thronging mass he addressed?

This new Bond film will be an acid test of PWB. Can she take her acid met-lib schtick and REALLY appeal to everyman?
He considers himself a higher level from the actors in the room .....and he is.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Totally agree. I watched 3 episodes and then said "enough is enough". Vile is not comedy. Disgusting is not funny. I always thought British humor was far better than that. Acting is what Brosnahan does and how she did not win is a mystery to me. What Flea Bag's star Phoebe Waller-Bridge does is called pandering with material that is intentionally so repulsive as to fool some into thinking it's cool. I'd prevent my kids from watching it if I could.
I enjoyed the Komensky Method very much. I think you will have a great time watching if not already have.

Tang :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Thanks Carl, that's generous. I sure tried from a mix of what I've seen and what I did not see.
And the main one I did not see yet ... 1917

I'm not big on TV shows except for Chernobyl here.

Comes the Academy Oscars Steve is usually pretty good.
The Golden Globe Awards is a game I'm less familiar with and could be a little confusing in not only the gauge for future results but also in the overall behavior of its gladiators.
I'm learning by observing ...
?https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/05/the-golden-globe-awards-arent-great-at-predicting-oscar-winners.html

I was curious so I Googled only once and that was my first entry (link ^ above) that came up within a second's fragmentation (high speed Ethernet), and exactly what I was looking for.

Now pretty much the only thing that remains for me is to see 1917
I also want to see A Hidden Life but more on a personal meditation level.

Because good films matter, important films, documentaries, wildlife documentaries, well researched TV series based on actual events (Chernobyl), ...all that good stuff for the brain, eyes, ears, food for the soul in the heavens. The music scores in Joker and in Chernobyl are no coincidence. Joker was on medication and the side effects are similar to be in the contaminated zone...way of film speech.
Who knows how those would fare @ the Oscars, only god knows (the collective voting).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Yeah flea bag was boring switched off after the first episode

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing