Golden Globes Awards This Sunday

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
In general, I thought there was not a great showing of class last night. I get that the attendees were all a bit drunk, but some of the acceptance speeches were just embarrassing. Phoenix was a blithering idiot, as compared to Taron Egerton who showed grace and class. Tom Hanks is a class act and can be forgiven for being juiced on cold medicine. Ellen's tribute to Carol Burnett was touching as was Ellen's introduction by Kate McKinnon. DeGeneres was a pioneer in the industry for sure. It's no surprise she is well-liked as is Brad Pitt who also showed some class with his remarks. Oscar nominations are in a week. I doubt there will be many surprises there.

Agree w Bob- gotta see 1917 next.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
globes suck every year, its comical. Phoenix was a blathering idiot and that's about all i saw after the monologue

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I think the drinks might have affected some; it's a large audience watching out there and public images count in this movie/TV business.

Very true Marty; some had more class than others.
And looking forward to see 1917

Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Skyfall, Spectre) is a powerful filmmaker, and reading about 1917 and the crew he was working with, including Thomas Newman (music) and Roger Deakins (cinematography), has what it takes to dethrone others like The Irishman, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Joker. Out of the last three, The Irishman is rich in artistic cinema from various aspects...adapted storytelling, acting, directing, compositions, decor sets, recreating time period, editing, ...brief a very fine film that was truly absorbing like a master painting in an Italian museum.

9,000 voters (Academy Awards...Oscars) are a large group of diversified film industry connoisseurs; and I know already that they can bypass Netflix when it comes to film creativity.
It should be interesting going forward...may the best win. Last night it was 1917 without a doubt.
Plus it can use all the help right now @ the movie theaters; that too is my job (passion).
_____

* Climate change we discussed it plenty in the past right here in the archives of WBF.
It's a delicate subject and the Golden Globe Awards (on stage) can live without, IMHO.
Backstage during discussions and journalists interviews it's all good, that and many other subjects of actuality.

Music, films, audio, video, the galaxy and beyond, ...are the domain of the arts, the mastering of new discoveries @ the service of our intellectual and sensorial expansion, hobbies of passion and determination. Do we power our systems with electricity or batteries or solar panels or wind turbines? Right now the bulk comes from electricity. :)
And the same when we watch films; film projectors are electrically run, air conditioning, light bulbs, laser lights, OLED screens, digital video files, reel to reel films, 4K Blu-ray players, Dolby Atmos sound systems, etc., etc., etc. ...all electric powered AC/DC current.

The Golden Globe Awards ceremony took place in an electric powered hall, with electric lights, speakers, and the food was cooked with electric stoves and ovens (or maybe gas powered...I don't know), and the white whine and champagne kept cool inside electric refrigerators electronically temperature controlled.

If they truly want to contribute positively to climate change they can start building a hall powered by solar panels and stored in renewable batteries ecologically friendly for the environment...that'll be the day. So, accept your trophy with class and dignity, and thank your Mom and Dad to be here on Earth, plus the people who you worked with and who helped to make it all worked out for you.
And thank yourself too, you deserve it.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Just because someone is a great actor doesn't mean they have public speaking skills when the words are their own. Frankly, more often than not I have found good actors to be relatively unimpressive in interviews. I would think that it takes a different kind of person to deliver the performance Phoenix did in Joker.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I must admit that Scorsese did not look happy last night. He looked uncomfortable when Hanks alluded to him.

granted the Academy is 9000 voters but I also believe the Globes are a prelude to the oscars which makes me think that The Irishman wont fare well but we shall see. IMO the Globes did the correct thing by not nominating DeNiro but Hollywood loves him so we shall see.
FWIW just like last year when Green Book was the sleeper that won perhaps The Two Popes or Joker Might steal the award

Two Popes was a remarkable film. Joker was such an unusual film that anything is possible.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You have to love Ricky, he says it like it is and reminds the actors in the crowd that they're uneducated, are nothing without the writers and directors, and are generally unimportant. Weinstein is ground zero of the MeToo movement, Ricky makes sure all of his friends in the room never forget it.
The only thing that would have made that moment absolutely perfect is if he would have referred to himself as dispensable too.

And then walked off Lol.

Reactions: marty

Steve Williams

Lip reading isn’t difficult especially when you know they are all F bombs.

I loved when the guy cane out representing the HFPA and in his speech made Gervais promise it was his last year

Reactions: jeff1225

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fleabag is VERY British. Phoebe could wrap up the award ad infinitum for "Most Self Satisfied Actor Acting All Self Satisfied In A Hugely Self Satisfied Comedy"

Reactions: cjfrbw

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I must admit that Scorsese did not look happy last night. He looked uncomfortable when Hanks alluded to him.

granted the Academy is 9000 voters but I also believe the Globes are a prelude to the oscars which makes me think that The Irishman wont fare well but we shall see. IMO the Globes did the correct thing by not nominating DeNiro but Hollywood loves him so we shall see.
FWIW just like last year when Green Book was the sleeper that won perhaps The Two Popes or Joker Might steal the award

Two Popes was a remarkable film. Joker was such an unusual film that anything is possible.
The business is going to resist Netflix's entry into their world as long as they can. It will take a truly groundbreaking effort for Netflix to win it's first Oscar. The Irishmen was a good movie, but not different or ground breaking enough to change the minds of the Academy.

Reactions: Steve Williams

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The only thing that would have made that moment absolutely perfect is if he would have referred to himself as dispensable too.

And then walked off Lol.
But he is not. He is a legitimate writer and a creator of content. Without people like Ricky, there is no Hollywood.

Steve Williams

The Irishmen was a good movie, but not different or ground breaking enough to change the minds of the Academy.

I totally agree Jeffrey. I loved watching it. It was a remarkable story, extremely well directed BUT it isn't anything that hasn't been done before

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am not British and I absolutely love Fleabag. It is so honest and does such a great job of developing characters.

The first season of Mrs. Maisel was amazing. It is has struggled since that point. They have made the 4 parents cartoon characters. The only character of any interest in addition to Midge and Susie is Lenny Bruce. Jane Lynch's Sophie Lenon is equally unwatchable.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Steve, give it another shot. I thought the 2nd season of Fleabag was as good as the first.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
But he is not. He is a legitimate writer and a creator of content. Without people like Ricky, there is no Hollywood.
Jeffrey, I agree re Ricky. Not the biggest fan of his stand up, but The Office is in top ten of greatest ever comedies.

Do you feel he considers himself a class apart from the thronging mass he addressed?

This new Bond film will be an acid test of PWB. Can she take her acid met-lib schtick and REALLY appeal to everyman?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What am I missing Marc?
Fleabag is an aquired taste. I realised after I watched a few episodes and couldn't gel with it, that I was a target audience less than a decade ago, but not today. And that's not an age related comment, it's more whether I consider myself an urban metropolitan liberal. I don't and thus her target is not on me. I really do feel this, Fleabag is a carefully aimed demographic comedy, I'm not in it.

Plenty of dinner party Londoners are however, and laugh themselves stupid over it.

Too wry, arch and self aware. It's strength. And it's weakness.

Then again, I'm not a fan of this new breed of hyper self-aware, achingly trendy and on-message stuff like Killing Eve.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing