Grounding Boxes

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
I don't want to speak for Andrew but I do believe it's very system dependent. I know Andrew will say you NEVER mix signal with chassis grounding, it's either one or the other. In my system I found signal grounding to work best.

nortberg

Nov 25, 2018
I don't want to speak for Andrew but I do believe it's very system dependent. I know Andrew will say you NEVER mix signal with chassis grounding, it's either one or the other. In my system I found signal grounding to work best.
Yes, totally agree. Since I now have a new headphone amp and haven't tried grounding the chassis, it may throw up some surprises. Obviously I will change the server's signal ground to chassis also.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I have tested with a multimeter.
The Ground chassis is the same than the ground signal.
I have tested it with my K-03Xs.
very strange.

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
I plan to implement the Puritan Route Master and Ground Master City.

My TW-Acustic amps only have 1 RCA connection.......from the Shindo preamp to mono amps.

Dealer suggested using an RCA cheater plug, but I'm concerned about to things:

1. Is it safe?
2. Won't I lose sound quality by not having a direct connection of my high-end Shindo Silver RCA interconnect?

Thanks for the advice.

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
I plan to implement the Puritan Route Master and Ground Master City.

My TW-Acustic amps only have 1 RCA connection.......from the Shindo preamp to mono amps.

Dealer suggested using an RCA cheater plug, but I'm concerned about to things:

1. Is it safe?
2. Won't I lose sound quality by not having a direct connection of my high-end Shindo Silver RCA interconnect?

Thanks for the advice.
So just hooked up the Puritan Route Master and City Master. The RCA cheater is actually a ring that goes on the amp side of the RCA connection. I didn’t think that was considered part of the “signal path” but I guess it is. I’ll report back after 20-30 hours of use.

Tecknik1

May 29, 2017
HCM VietNam
Of course you should avoid mixing signal and chassis ground on the same box or post but I get better results with both signal and chassis grounded to separate individual boxes especially with all things digital from fmc, switch , server then dac, amp not so much.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
FYI - Power conditioner and tube power supply for Modwright modified sacd player chassis grounded to one Puritan Groundmaster City; sacd player and Pathos TT signal grounded to 2nd Groundmaster City - both with Russ Andrews (Kimber) grounding cables:

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 44
  • thumbnail_IMG_3090.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3090.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 43

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
As promised, I am reporting back after using the Puritan Route Master and City Master for 20-30 hours.

First I need to note that after speaking with an Entreq dealer, I moved my Silver Minimus connection from preamp to safety ground on my Torus Power Conditioner. Very nice improvement with all the things Entreq does so well.

As for the Puritan solution (signal not chassis grounding) I connected my preamp and mono amps to the Route Master and plugged the City Master into a separate dedicated outlet. The rest of my system is plugged into the Torus and that is plugged into a 2nd dedicated outlet.

Now with the Puritan in place, here are my observations:

1. grip on the soundstage (20% improvement)
2. Blacker background (20% improvement)
3. Dynamics (20% I)
4. Pace and flow of the music (30% improvement)
5. Resembles a live performance (20% improvement)
6. Tighter more pronounced base (10% improvement)
7. Overall resolution especially noticeable on vocals (20% improvement)

I happen to really like Entreq in my system and I’ve heard a “maxed out” Nordost solution on a friends all digital system.

But I must say that for $900, I’m happy with the result. Also I can’t underestimate the impact of having “both” Puritan and Entreq connected.

Hope others may find this feedback useful.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
As for the Puritan solution (signal not chassis grounding) I connected my preamp and mono amps to the Route Master and plugged the City Master into a separate dedicated outlet. The rest of my system is plugged into the Torus and that is plugged into a 2nd dedicated outlet.

@Labpro do you have a photo of your wiring setup? So you’re using your mains ground via the house outlets, not a separate ground rod? That was one of my confusions about the Puritan GM.

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
Hi Keithc,

The first photo, is the City Master.

This device takes the place of a copper ground rod, and uses the ground that is already in your home or apartment building. it is said to provide 90% of the ground rod benefit without the hassle.

The second photo is the Route Master. You order the needed cables depending on your system requirements (RCA connector etc) and plug your components into the Route Master, and plug the Route Master into the City Master.

Hope this helps?

Attachments

• E8BC5C6A-4286-4B40-AD0A-D5B9EDBBE3C9.jpeg
    E8BC5C6A-4286-4B40-AD0A-D5B9EDBBE3C9.jpeg
    597.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 07D14549-BB5C-4BF3-B571-F8FEDE8776FC.jpeg
    07D14549-BB5C-4BF3-B571-F8FEDE8776FC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70

Halydean

Apr 9, 2023
I use a solid copper bar for star grounding, with a heavy ground lead going from that to the isolated ground about 2 feet behind my stack. SMD makes cheap and effective ground blocks for car audio. In addition to good ol' fashioned proper system grounding, Shunyata's Altaire installation manual has some practical advice and recommends some tests you can do with a common multimeter to ensure that your system is grounded properly.

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
As promised, I am reporting back after using the Puritan Route Master and City Master for 20-30 hours.

First I need to note that after speaking with an Entreq dealer, I moved my Silver Minimus connection from preamp to safety ground on my Torus Power Conditioner. Very nice improvement with all the things Entreq does so well.

Now with the Puritan in place, here are my observations:

1. grip on the soundstage (20% improvement)
2. Blacker background (20% improvement)
3. Dynamics (20% I)
4. Pace and flow of the music (30% improvement)
5. Resembles a live performance (20% improvement)
6. Tighter more pronounced base (10% improvement)
7. Overall resolution especially noticeable on vocals (20% improvement)

I happen to really like Entreq in my system and I’ve heard a “maxed out” Nordost solution on a friends all digital system.

But I must say that for $900, I’m happy with the result. Also I can’t underestimate the impact of having “both” Puritan and Entreq connected.

Hope others may find this feedback useful.
Thank you for sharing your impressions on Puritan GM. I am also using combination of Entreq Silver Minimus and Acoustic Revive RGC-24K in my system. Impressive results from grounding!

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I use Nordost Qkore6.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Has anyone tried connecting the GM City to, say a Shunyata Everest/Denali's grounding GP-NR, similar to GM-City + PSM156? Curious if this is better than just using the GP-NR on the Shunyata products by itself.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing