Hachidori Fukami Tape/Phono Preamplifier

BTW, you may want to try a Photovox head in your Studer A820. Recent comparison showed better frequency response, half the inductance and nearly the same output. Because of the low inductance, the resonant frequency is very high - on the order of 40 kHz. This was done by Jonathan, BTW. There's a report but I don't want to post it without his permission.

I agree with you that without auditioning in your own system and room, auditions are irrelevant. It's almost impossible to get a dealer to loan an ultra expensive component, so you have to do your own research and develop an understanding for how something sounds based on its design objectives, and others' feedback.

Finally, here's a way I evaluate companies which is just as important as sound quality: level of knowledge about the product they are selling and willingness to learn about how to best integrate it with the rest of the system.
I actually asked the same question to both Doshi and Jonathan: have you had experience with a lower impedance playback head, specifically the ~80mH Photovox?
Nick replied with literally a one-word answer: "No".
Johanthan went out of his way to not only procure the same head but test it and compare it to his benchmark. He prepared Excel and PowerPoint comparisons and we've exchanged at least a dozen emails on the subject. He has even reached out to Metaxas to discuss and share findings. And I have not paid him a single cent!

Whether the component is $10k or $75k, this is the level of commitment I expect, and I simply won't work with anyone who has the ego or lack of knowledge or desire to go the extra mile. That's why I really don't care if the Doshi v4 is the best thing to ever grace an tape machine's output, I won't be entertaining it in my system.

Emile at Taiko has a similar (to Hachidori's) attitude and approach. Emile made a custom rack for my Extreme when I told him I couldn't fit it on my component rack. This, after initially recommending other brands because the Extreme was too large. I can give you similar examples about DarTZeel, Nagra, Trinnov, and probably all the components I have in my system.

This matters because when something goes wrong, you want a vendor who will work with you to find a solution that is best for your system, not point fingers or shrug his shoulders and place blame on the next component in the signal path.

I have no affiliation or connection to Nick professionally or otherwise, but I know there are usually two parts to a conversation and just dumping one line here may or may not represent the true scope of the conversation. As a customer you have the right to form your opinion, but apparently many people hold very positive ones on Nick. So I would ask the jury to disregard that remark. :)

Something clearly went wrong, but we don't know why.

BTW... the true level of commitment is not how someone treats his first customer... but how he treats the #1001.

I am not going to comment further on Nick but you are basing your entire view of him off one conversation. I hope people give you more rope than to write you off after 1 interaction. Your views of him are incredibly shortsighted especially given that others, including me, have said how helpful he has been to them.

It's important to 'audition' the founders as much as the components. Both cases are based on one interaction. Same type of product, same question, same mode of interaction. Very different results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu