Hachidori Fukami Tape/Phono Preamplifier

It is not a good practice to blindly try different settings. There is good logic to selecting the starting point, which is making sure the FR goes to at least 20-24KHz. The proper resistance is calculated based on the head's inductance. I see that head's inductance listed at 700mH, in which case 55K is too low resistance - you only get about 12.5 KHz band. 125K should be more appropriate.
Sorry, the Nortronics head I’m using is a 9207. It has a listed inductance of 200mH at 1Khz.

Attachments

• IMG_2275.png
    IMG_2275.png
    847.8 KB · Views: 2
It is not a good practice to blindly try different settings. There is good logic to selecting the starting point, which is making sure the FR goes to at least 20-24KHz. The proper resistance is calculated based on the head's inductance. I see that head's inductance listed at 700mH, in which case 55K is too low resistance - you only get about 12.5 KHz band. 125K should be more appropriate.
What formula do you use?

He mentioned a 600ohm cable driver, but was a bit evasive about it. It is really not hard to properly load the input if you know the head inductance and cable capacitance. But to make it “idiot proof” for any user will require some ingenuity. At this price, he can tailor the preamp to each customer’s machine. Making a “universal” input might not be optimal.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu