Hachidori Fukami Tape/Phono Preamplifier

The VU meters on my tape player are bypassed because I don't want the signal to go through them. I have adjustable step-up transformers at the input of my head-amp. I can select gain of 3db, 6db, 9db, 12db and 15db. I like adjusting gain using a transformer rather varying resistance. I use the adjustable gain of the step-up transformers to set the level I want with a particular tape. For example, for tapes recorded at 520nW/m I use 3db of gain. If I use any other setting, the head-amp will distort. With tapes that are recorded at 396nW/m (like Ed's), I use 6db of gain. The majority of tapes I have are recorded at 320nWb, so I use 9db of gain. Occasionally, I have a tape that sounds best at 12db of gain. For each of these gain settings, I use a different resistor to load the tape head.
If I decide to use a different tape head with a different output voltage, the adjustable step-up transformers can help make gain adjustments for the new tape head.
John, just to make sure I went ahead and measured my preamp's headroom. At 400Hz it was about 26dB, with respect to +4dB.

Not from the standpoint of overloading the preamp, but high levels overload the tape, and that is easy to hear.

Why don't people learn to do it in moderation?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu