Harmonix spike bases …

wackerd

Jul 28, 2023
About HARMONIX
I use only new models post 2020. Older models provide a round sound, warm that I don't like (personal appreciation). Some people like RFS-65m Hyotan especially in double configuration or RS-1502M. I like the last one but it is support depending. Some bases like RF-999 or MK2 provided over damp sound for me, I understand many audiophiles that share my position.
HARMONIX RF-999Z is a system and should be used with REI-168 cones. With other cones, the sound is not what this very good base can do. Also many audiophiles like forward presentation with steel base and cones. No very good cones are like that. Goldmund, Walker and other best of the past were with hard material but dampened inside to prevent ringing. Some of my customers use RF-999Z + REI 168 under their big mono amps (JMF, AUDIONET, APURNA, ...) or under their transport / Streamer (PLAYBACK DESIGNS, WEISS, JMF, DCS, PINK FAUN...) and all said that their system is now more balanced, more 3D with more details, faster transients, better bass and also more neutral tones.
I tried so many cones, cups, ball bearing systems than I can say these last models from HARMONIX is my present reference. That said, I will receive some foot from a US company, may be a revelation ?
All the best
I am looking for better feet for my Gryphon Diablo 300 than the OEM ones. Do you think it could be worth to try the combi RF-99Z and REI 168? Can the RF 999Z in general fixed in the original bore diameter of any devices? What is the thread diameter of the spikes? Thanks.

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I am looking for better feet for my Gryphon Diablo 300 than the OEM ones. Do you think it could be worth to try the combi RF-99Z and REI 168? Can the RF 999Z in general fixed in the original bore diameter of any devices? What is the thread diameter of the spikes? Thanks.
Hello

I don't know this model from Gryphon, but the picture of it shows that it has feet without any special qualities (like 98% of standard electronic components). Using REI-168+RF-999Z will be a huge sound upgrade.
REI 168 is a very good cone only TU-210 ZX-M Million is better but much more expensive. This cone has no tread and should be put under the chassis of electronic gear. You can use 3 or 4 cones. This is not a problem for safety as most amplifiers are heavy. Then put the RF-999Z under the cones and you will hear a much more dynamic and open sound. You will also have better transients and more details, all with more natural tones.

KR

PHP

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-08-26 à 14.37.40.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-08-26 à 14.37.40.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Harmonix thingies don’t get much attention in this forum, it seems.

I use a pair of TAD micro evolution 1 speakers, augmented by a vintage Velodyne dd12 sub (does the job).
Biwiring with vintage NBS monitor 1 speaker cable. Sat on their Orinal spikes and bases.

Impressive dynamics, clarity, detail.
But.
A mechanical quality, less than fluid, a lack of emotion, fun. While the old Velo sub did it’s job up to 45Hz, the TADs seemed to lack body with voices, seeming anaemic.
I had a few Original stillpoints and stillpoints inverse risers here, so I put them between speaker stands and wooden floor.

Wow, fun was back big time, drama, excitement. Still some glare.
Following recommendations of the TAD community here I acquired Harmonix RF 999z million spike bases.
As I had not much confidence in the TAD spikes, I got some simple M6 steel spikes, too.

Initially bass suffered, flabby, lack of control. This got better.
Tonally some 24h later things got pretty pleasant, really nice.

But.
Dynamics suffer. All is nicely nuanced, voices have expression, but …
there is a lack in macro dynamics. Lack of heft. All is too polite, too relaxed.
Seems to improve with time, though.

Folks here recommended Audio Replas rsi spikes to be the bees knees with TAD & Harmonix.
Not that cheap, neither.

Your experience with Harmonix spike bases? Wait some more time?
Hi

Experience about HARMONIX products are different in some ways : first the old HARMONIX were too round, forgiving to my ears. Recent products since 2020 are much better but not all of them in my experience. Here I found some extremely good results and have not first rate with some. For example, some of my customers use RFS-65 Hyotan with great success, not here.
If you try undampened cones or spikes with all metal (aluminium or steel / inox) cup, you may find the sound more live, but is it really more live? it's more forward and gives a sense of presence with some glare or brightness. I use REI-168 cones and RF-999Z base, or TU-210 ZXM + RF-999Z and don't find them forgiving at all, especially under the demo system I use that is of incredible transparency, have transients like real music and macro dynamics to high degree especially with the French mono blocs.
That said REI-168 are made to match electronic chassis (metallic and rigid), and RF-999Z is also to be put on hard floor or stone floor or even hard surface of a platform rack. If you use them on carpet, wood rack.... they will show that the system is not properly set up.
Some may test the new RF-999a+ base which is the same than RF-999Z but thinner and so they are a bit less organic may be a touch faster.

KR

Philippe

Attachments

• 2023 Aug 25 RF-999 ? + copie.jpeg
    2023 Aug 25 RF-999 ? + copie.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 5

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I agree with this review, RF-900M is a bit forgiving in some conditions, also the review was made with a mid class system.
If I use them under a transport, amplifier, streamer, I found the sound round and not as resolving as it could be. If I use them under undampened metallic platforms, they work much better because their wood part represent a small damping. I use them also under critical cable lifters, but never under electronics or speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing