Has anyone heard the Devialet D-Premier Integrated Amp/DAC

cat3600

Jul 12, 2013
Mine has the 13/XX. If I'm reading the serial number correctly I assume the 13 is the year and XX is the number produced. They're the same on the remote and the 170 on mine.

Mine says 13/25 on both, but they both have a five digit no after that starting with zero. Both the 5 digit nos on the remote and 170 have the first 3 nos same but the last 2 nos are different.

I doubt it would be only 25 units going by my 13/25 on mine as it has been launched a while back and I am sure they sold a lot of 170 by now!

Also does your remote make any scraping noise while rotating the knop and my knob is slightly wobbly too. The smoothness is not just there compared with the D-Premier's remote. Not acceptable for such an expensive product. I am guessing in trying to change the design, keeping the Devialet logo strait as now its located inside the window, they screwed up somewhere!

dans6959

Jul 14, 2013
Mine says 13/25 on both, but they both have a five digit no after that starting with zero. Both the 5 digit nos on the remote and 170 have the first 3 nos same but the last 2 nos are different.

I doubt it would be only 25 units going by my 13/25 on mine as it has been launched a while back and I am sure they sold a lot of 170 by now!

I'm willing to bet yours has the same problem as mine. Let me guess, your remote drops connection with the 170 randomly and won't reconnect unless you power cycle the 170?

I'm sure they've made and sold more than 25 but I thinks yours was the 25th one made.

cat3600

Jul 12, 2013
I'm willing to bet yours has the same problem as mine. Let me guess, your remote drops connection with the 170 randomly and won't reconnect unless you power cycle the 170?

I'm sure they've made and sold more than 25 but I thinks yours was the 25th one made.

No I don't have to power cycle the 170 at all, its just that the remote wont work at certain places, if I move it even a couple of inches around it will work, its not even the distance from the 170, just certain positions. Its never loses complete connection. These certain positions are always when I have it on the floor, when I am holding it on my hand it doesn't happen though

cat3600

Jul 12, 2013
No I don't have to power cycle the 170 at all, its just that the remote wont work at certain places, if I move it even a couple of inches around it will work, its not even the distance from the 170, just certain positions. Its never loses complete connection. These certain positions are always when I have it on the floor, when I am holding it on my hand it doesn't happen though

Ok did some experimenting, it does behave quirky even standing not just on the floor, it is at certain places or angle or height, there is no fixed position. Its almost something blocks the signal depending on how where the position of the remote is relative to the 170. But if I turn or move it a bit to a different position it works. So it is not loosing connection but like a IR remote in certain positions it doesn't work, very strange indeed!

dans6959

Jul 14, 2013
Ok did some experimenting, it does behave quirky even standing not just on the floor, it is at certain places or angle or height, there is no fixed position. Its almost something blocks the signal depending on how where the position of the remote is relative to the 170. But if I turn or move it a bit to a different position it works. So it is not loosing connection but like a IR remote in certain positions it doesn't work, very strange indeed!

Mine requires me to cycle the 170 to get it to work again. The remote is more or less unusable at this point. Until it's replaced I'm using my iphone, which is not nearly as convenient as the remote.

Nightmare

May 22, 2013
He seemed to think that the sound wont be different than the 170, it will be more for someone who absolutely needs the bi-amping capability or just have to have the top model. Sonically I cant imagine there will be a difference.
With this argumentation you might even not have to go for a Devialet 170 but for a Devialet 110 - would be the best deal though ;)

Would be nice if someone could tell from listening and not from repeating what Devialet said during the High End in Munich.
But most of the dealers don´t seem to have heard all the three of them yet.

The HiFi News wrote - unfortunately having no Devialet 240 also:
So is the 170 better than the D-Premier? With USB and wired network connections it’s substantially more flexible if not quite as powerful. That’s where the forthcoming 240 and mono 500s come into the picture but, for now, would I trade one for the other? Yes. Unequivocally so.

So we have to wait for more experiences or a special big sound test with all of them.

Thanks for your review so far, cat3600.

cat3600

Jul 12, 2013
With this argumentation you might even not have to go for a Devialet 170 but for a Devialet 110 - would be the best deal though ;)

I needed the sub-out and the little bit extra flexibility of the input and out puts of the 170. The other main reason i went with the 170 are, if you look at the comparison on the Devialet website between the 3, you will notice the specs for the transformer, DSP, capacitors etc. are same for the 240 & 170 except of course the the daisy chaining capability and power rating of the 240. However the 110 has different specs from the 240 and the 170.

Thanks Nightmare

Nightmare

May 22, 2013
Of course you are right with the extras. I was just thinking about the sound quality itself. And I wonder if this will be the same or not comparing the three new modells. Maybe depending on the speakers one is using also. As I recognized when hearing the D-Premier some months ago with different speakers, some of them did benefit from the D-Premier (vs other amps) much more than others. Some of them did not. Looking forward to a first comparing test of the three.

Did I mention here before that a lot of the parts of the Devialet 110/170 are made of plastic in difference to the Devialet 240? I saw that, when I had a look at one of the first Devialet 140.

Jupiter

Jul 14, 2013
a great report !

Thank you very much dear cat3600 !!

Have a (last?) question:

Did you use the same power cables with both Devialets ?

A friend use his Premier with a Schnerzinger 8001 power cable (schnerzinger.com). It sounds a lot better than my Premier with a standard cable.

:)

Rufus McDufus

Aug 14, 2013
I've had a home demo of both a 170 & a 240. The 170 had been used before and I don't know how many hours it'd had. I didn't run it constantly. It sounded great right out of the box, lovely and smooth, very musical, great resolution, particularly bass. The 240 was brand new and I've given it at least 100 hours. It sound good out of the box but a little muffled. After 24 hours it became tight and accurate and changed fairly dramatically. The differences between models aren't great to be honest. I only have small speakers (Raidho C-1.1) but they do benefit from decent power levels. The 240 does seem to have a bit of extra grip over the 170. The 240 has the D-Premier remote - the buttons are a bit easier to press (they're quite recessed on the 170 from memory). I can't complain about the build quality on either to be honest - they're both very good except the 240 is more solid & heavier. The 170 has plastic 'tongues' on which the rear removable section rests but the 240 has the rear section resting on the rest of the one-piece case.
Considering the price difference, for me the choice is the 170. Depends on the power requirements of your speakers. They're both hugely enjoyable to listen to. A lot of detail is conveyed but they do it without any harshness at all.

murrayp

Mar 1, 2012
a great report !

A friend use his Premier with a Schnerzinger 8001 power cable (schnerzinger.com). It sounds a lot better than my Premier with a standard cable.

I have recently used the HMS power cable that comes with the Soulution 710 power amp with my D'Premier. I was amazed at the benefits it gave - it removed the last vestiges of harshness, while giving increased depth and ease. In association with the new streaming software, I feel finally I am achieving the D'Premier's seriously high end capabilities. Even so I'm sure there are better cables out there to use.

I really think Devialet would do themselves a great service if they (like Soulution) provided a good power cable with each amplifier. If you haven't assessed the D'Premier with a truly matching power cable, you probably haven't really heard its capabilities..... and I suspect many who have criticised the Devialet sound might be in this group. I've read comments before that the D'Premier is sensitive to power cords but wouldn't have believed the difference if I hadn't experienced it myself.

bernardl

Nov 11, 2010
Remote

For those experiencing problems with the remote, have you considered using the smart phone app?

I use an ipad to control the Mac mini that I use as a source for my D1 (currently through a Weiss Int202), and have also installed the D1 remote app on it.

I find it much more convenient than the remote of the amp since if does display the volume and enables instant change of source using a drop down list. It means only one device (the ipad) and a better experience.

I am using a wifi router located one floor below but have not experienced a single problem using the remote control (although wifi strength is weak @ around -59 db).

Cheers,
Bernard

Ekmanc

Nov 25, 2012
How does everyone percieve the latest software soundwise? at first I really liked that it was a little darker but I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't less resolved and slightly sluggish in the bass compared to the previous versions.

cat3600

Jul 12, 2013
a great report !

Thank you very much dear cat3600 !!

Have a (last?) question:

Did you use the same power cables with both Devialets ?

Yes everything was the same in the dealers location, all we did was to swap out the units and plug everything back, so exact setup!

cat3600

Jul 12, 2013
Did I mention here before that a lot of the parts of the Devialet 110/170 are made of plastic in difference to the Devialet 240? I saw that, when I had a look at one of the first Devialet 140.

There is no plastic parts on the 170 unit itself at all. In fact the bottom plate of the 170 is a cast alloy, which is actually better than the metal plate of the D-Premier's bottom, don't know what the bottom of the 240 looks like. The only plastic part is at the bottom of the remote, the battery cover of the remote is plastic and so is the complete bottom case of the remote.

Also the thermals on the new 170 is much better than the D-Premier it runs at least 10 deg C cooler than the D-Premier under all condition

Edit: The only bit of plastic is the 2 rails attached to the rear on both sides of the unit, this is where the the metal cover slides onto. Its a very different type of plastic, its made very well and sometimes I am not even sure if it is actually plastic. I think they only used this different material on the rails is because the design of the metal cover is different as it slides in a different way than the older D-Premier, so a metal rail would not have been a right choice, due to scraping etc of 2 metal parts!

oldnestor

Aug 18, 2013
All the comments on the forum were helpful in convincing me to take the plunge on a Devialet 110. Glad to have done so and here.s some initial remarks.

Setup: Stock 802.11n router from DSL company, Xycel VSG1432 placed underneath Devialet. Signal -13 dBm. Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15’ away, -52 dBm signal and -90 dBm noise. Speakers are a homebrew two way stand mounted design with Audax drivers.

First impressions: solid packaging, triple boxed. They took a cue from Apple with the packaging: there is a sense of drama unfolding as you cut through the seals. Comes with a Devialet shopping bag sporting their ‘Live and Lossless Sound’ logo. The black and orange bag turned out to be very useful trekking across town. Speaking of which, it.s amazing to be able to trek through town carrying a 110 watt amplifier. Some amps are a workout to carry from one end of the room to the other!

Setup: the unit comes from factory with the latest firmware, 6.0.9 or something like that so there was no need to update. Downladed the Devialet Air 2.1 app to the MacBook Pro, set up was easy. The only hitch is that the security settings did not allow the package to automatically open because it did not recognize the developer. No problem, hitting control open overrode security. Once installed, the app sits in the toolbar. Five minutes in, so far so good. Next step was to configure the Devialet to log into my home network. This was done through Devialet.s ‘My Maison Online’ and it generates a text file with all the settings. The .txt file is saved to the provided SD card and the Devialet automatically updates itself when the card is inserted. Fifteen minutes in, so far so good. Once everything was set up, Devialet Air took over iTunes and the Devialet logged onto the home network without a hitch. Music started streaming right away. This was a pleasant surprise as the setup is one of the non-recommended setups on their website. One of the nice things with the Devialet is that no third party software is required (ie Amarra, Pure Music, etc.,). It just works.

Impressions first day: this is one quiet amplifier. The lack of noise has to be heard to be believed. The closest description that comes to mind is this. If the musical signal is a flame or a candle and the amp is like a pane between the candle and the listener, tube amps have a tendency to act as a lens putting distance between candle and listener and often add an attractive halo of light around the light. Transistor amps have a tendency to concentrate the beam of light so that it is intensely focused. What the Devialet does is that it places the viewer closer to the candle, so close that you can see all the subtle flickerings and their effect on the light and shadows in the soundstage. It really doesn.t sound like any tube or transistor amp, type A or AB. Take the Cowbow Junkies’ Trinity Sessions. There.s always been a low, almost subsonic buzz that I.ve taken for granted as being part of the recording. Well, it.s simply not there with the Devialet. Or Leonard Cohen’s voice. It.s definitely less ‘chesty’ and has less of the ‘scotch and cigars’ edge than I remember. The upshot is the voices and instruments sound better defined. The clean sound, however, seems to make instruments smaller. It may be that noise adds a ‘bloom’ around instruments giving them an artificial heft. At this point I am not sure. Compared with what I have been listening to, the soundstage width and depth seems shallower. But no, maybe not. Channel separation is very good. I have to think about the soundstage in the coming days. To be sure, the Devialet does everything that has been mentioned on these pages. But to actually listen to it is absolutely fascinating. And from an aesthetic perspective, it was absolutely liberating to replace a multiple box system with all its jumble of cords and interconnects with one wireless unit.

Wifi: started getting dropouts every ten or so minutes with the initial setup. In the initial setup, the router was about 10’ away from the Devialet and 25’ away from the laptop. Moving the router underneath the Devialet and closer to the laptop solved the issue for most part. Still getting dropouts every couple of hours streaming 44.1 kHz music, but this doesn.t bother me very much for now. Over next couple of days will try moving the router around some more, little moves produce big changes. Anyone try adding a Wifi booster?

ogs

May 28, 2013
How does everyone percieve the latest software soundwise? at first I really liked that it was a little darker but I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't less resolved and slightly sluggish in the bass compared to the previous versions.

There is a clear difference between 6.08 and 6.09. 6.09 is, as you say, darker sounding and may seem less detailed, but I feel this depends on the source and player software. At the moment I use the new MC19 v0.28 (Windows 7) and find tonal character and detail quite satisfying with 6.09

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I just installed 6.0.9 moving from the latest 5.7 version on a D Premier....

Where did the bass go? No presence, drive, body, authority...

To me it's not dark at all. Its focused and thin

I'm really starting to be tired of this whole new Devialet thing

ogs

May 28, 2013
I just installed 6.0.9 moving from the latest 5.7 version on a D Premier....

Where did the bass go? No presence, drive, body, authority...

To me it's not dark at all. Its focused and thin

I'm really starting to be tired of this whole new Devialet thing

Then you would probably not enjoy 6.0.8. I liked 5.7.2beta a lot, but have resisted going back as I also like detail. But yes, there is less bass energy in the newer releases. I hope Devialet will fix this soon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing