Has anyone heard the Devialet D-Premier Integrated Amp/DAC

As an aside, has anyone noticed the new firmware for the 170 (200) changed the thermo characteristic of the unit? I noticed that after the update the unit remains quite warm to the touch when it is on standby. It used to be quite cool. I am worried about long term durability with extended hours of heat.

I would say mine is a 'little' warm, cant remember if it went completely cold before the update. I have noticed that the boot-up time seems much faster than before. (D200)

It's more than just acoustic measurements. From the ADH/SAM whitepaper:

Devialet engineers have developped a characterization protocol including electrical, mechanical
(laser interferometry) and acoustical laboratory measurements to be able to model the exact
behaviour of any loudspeaker. They have industrialized the process to be able to develop SAM
processing for any speaker, from initial measurements to final robustness testing. It all happens
at Devialet headquarters in downtown Paris.

http://files.computeraudiophile.com/2014/0519/Devialet_WhitePaper_SAM-ADH_Technologies.pdf

As an aside, has anyone noticed the new firmware for the 170 (200) changed the thermo characteristic of the unit? I noticed that after the update the unit remains quite warm to the touch when it is on standby. It used to be quite cool. I am worried about long term durability with extended hours of heat.

Since you can power the Devialet on and off now using the remote app they must keep at least some parts (including those containing WiFi/ethernet of course) powered on at all times. So it'll use more power in standby and thus create more heat. My D-Premier is in France now for it's 240/250 upgrade otherwise I would have checked the power consumption before and after setup of the 7.1 firmware (my PS Audio P3 makes this very easy). Maybe Devialet will make it an option to disable this remote power on/off functionality if/when we ask them.

It's true I just got confirmation from Devialet that the D-Premier ----> D250 upgrade possibility will end at the end of July this year.

Last edited:
Of course it will. There is no Devialet 240 (now 250) in their programm at all any more.
Kind of crazy. And the 170 is a 200 now. And suddenly dual-mono is possible? It sucks.

100 votes since today. Devialet disses their users. Bad behaviour.

Last edited:
Not sure that it was possible to push the 240 all the way up to 300 without affecting temperature and life length too much.

And I gues 300 would have been no problem at all - maybe 280.
But so it´s rationalised by an upgrowing 170.

Whatever - 250 is enough for me. And sound is ´still´ brilliant :)

But knowing the actuall option I might have gone for a 170 last year and a second one today ;)

I would definitely have gone for a 170 if I'd known this before.

But oh well, time to send my D-Premier in for an upgrade I guess before they close down that option.

Thanks, what is bi-directional USB? Is there any explanation from Devialet on this technology?

I haven't read any explanations from Devialet on this functionality yet but I think it means that the USB port, which is now only an input will also become an output to a computer (and/or maybe another USB DAC) similar to the digital RCA/COAX output you can configure at the moment. I'm sure Devialet will give us the details as soon as they are ready to release the functionality. :)

edit: I originally read about the functionality before the 7.1 firmware got released at a website of a Canadian dealer/importer. He wrote this about the functionality:

* Bi-directional USB which allows easy digitalizing of your vinyl records directly into your computer
http://liquidsound.ca/devialet-firmware-update-7-1/

I would definitely have gone for a 170 if I'd known this before.

But oh well, time to send my D-Premier in for an upgrade I guess before they close down that option.

Same here, but I bought my D-Premier in Feb. 2012 and at that moment the moment of introduction of the new models would take another 15 months or so. My D-Premier is in France right now for it's upgrade, hope to receive it back very soon; I miss it dearly!! :( ;)

Same here, but I bought my D-Premier in Feb. 2012 and at that moment the moment of introduction of the new models would take another 15 months or so. My D-Premier is in France right now for it's upgrade, hope to receive it back very soon; I miss it dearly!! :( ;)

I definitely understand that, please do give us a little opinion once you get it back. I'd love to hear what you think of the improvements.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing