Have we done this one lately? What is everyone's (owned) reference loudspeaker?

image.jpg

Will likely upgrade to the Raven tweeter in the next year. For the $$ vs what else I've heard, these are still it for me.

Last edited:
View attachment 10527

SF GH.. Last pair imported into the US.
Davey, those sure are purdy.
If we are talking reference in the sense of 'tool,' I'm gonna go with the old Quad (per Puro). Have owned a pair since 1973.
Currently using Avantgarde Duo, which you all have seen here before:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 362
i'm loving my MM7's as my reference. they've improved incrementally over the last 7-8 months as they have broken in and I've (with much help) tweaked the set-up.

MM7's (1 of 1).jpg

CR1.jpg

I'll leave the reference portion out of it as I don't have personal experience with those types of speakers, but these are the best I've owned and my current speaker.

Genesis G7.1f
IMG_0133.jpg

i'm loving my MM7's as my reference. they've improved incrementally over the last 7-8 months as they have broken in and I've (with much help) tweaked the set-up.

View attachment 10529

Interesting set up. It appears that the woofer towers are out in front of the main speakers and have a different angle of toe-in. It seems like there would be early reflections coming off of the sub towers because the main speakers are right next to them and angled towards them.

Interesting set up. It appears that the woofer towers are out in front of the main speakers and have a different angle of toe-in. It seems like there would be early reflections coming off of the sub towers because the main speakers are right next to them and angled towards them.

They look to me as being in virtually in the same plane, both toed in at the same angle.

They look to me as being in virtually in the same plane, both toed in at the same angle.

both towers are pointed at the same point, like arrows on a circle all pointing at the middle. so obviously the main and bass towers cannot be parallel or they would be pointed at different points. and the woofer towers have to be farther forward to be able to stay at the same distance from the listening position while being pointed at it too.

and all the drivers are equidistant from that point for optimal phase and time alignment......which is part of the design direction of the speaker.

here is a link to a post from the thread on the MM7's which gets into this issue.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8311-MM7-s-are-here&p=148205&viewfull=1#post148205

Christian-You need to have your eyeballs recalibrated. If you look closely it's obvious that the main speakers are toed in towards the woofer towers or you could say the woofer towers are towed in towards the main speakers. Either way, they are not at the same angle (not even close according to my calibrated eyeballs) and the woofer towers are out in front of the main speakers.

Last edited:
both towers are pointed at the same point, like arrows on a circle all pointing at the middle. so obviously the main and bass towers cannot be parallel or they would be pointed at different points. and the woofer towers have to be farther forward to be able to stay at the same distance from the listening position while being pointed at it too.

and all the drivers are equidistant from that point for optimal phase and time alignment......which is part of the design direction of the speaker.

here is a link to a post from the thread on the MM7's which gets into this issue.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8311-MM7-s-are-here&p=148205&viewfull=1#post148205

That was my thought as well. I was surprised by the severity of it though as I recall you sitting well back of your setup. Could just be the photo though.

What footers are you using under your Shockwave 15s Dimf? They look cool.

Jack, they are poorman's version of Stillpoints, a.k.a. candle jar (glass) covers ;)

my wife saw me struggling to move the Shockwave around while I was fine tuning speaker placement and suggested them.. and they worked great as sliders. I removed them only after I was happy with powered sub placement.

LOL! They matched the woofer's color too! Give Joe a call and try the RiZE loudspeaker pods. Just give him your tread pattern. Not a poor man's stillpoints but you do get your dealer's price! Hehehehehe! ;)

Last year, before embarking on a trip to Tokyo, my classmate invited me to go stay with him in Malaysia for a few days.
He operates an Internet cafe in a small town, a town so small it is really just one street with shop houses on both sides.
At night nothing to do can only surf the web.
Speed not very fast, but the local kids mainly use the place to play games.
So, can't even watch YouTube videos, I just googled some images just to pass the time....

I typed in the model name of my current speakers and watch the screen filled up with images of the speakers I am using in my bedroom...., so many, I googled so many times, every pix I seen before.......

Then I saw a couple of pix which I had never come across before. I clicked on it.
A new window opened.
Turned out to be a online Hifi shop.
This pix was for a pair that is on sale!

OMG! Is this for real?

How much the price?

What?!??

I dun care, I want this. So I clicked on purchase.

nuts! What have I done?

Where is this shop?

It is in France! How am I gonna bring them back here?
The seller can send or not? No? Sh1t. I am in real sh1t....

The reality sank in. i just bought a pair of SS-M9ED from France.
Now I have find a way to bring them back home.

So it is - I went to Paris, travelled down to Lyon by Train, then got a friend's sister to drive us down to the seller, way out in the Chandon country side.
Paid and removed the super tweeters. then packed the rest of the speakers in carton boxes and had Fedex picked them up and sent them to Singapore....

the Chandon countryside during the car drive....
A765E83B.jpg

the seller's house in the picturesque country side of Chandon
4B58527C.jpg

the house is actually a fully loaded hifi shop!!!! the SS-M9ED being tested here to make sure they are in working order....
9E14F910.jpg

the super tweeters removed and packed individually for hand carry back to Singapore....
39386EC1.jpg

the rest of the SS-M9ED speakers packed in Focal speakers' carton boxes and improvised packing materials. not the best fit, but hopefully they will get to Singapore in one piece.....
14406DE2.jpg

A few more days later, while in Tokyo, saw another pair of SS-M9ED in Tokyo. attempted to do the same.
Problem, problem...

stay tuned.......

They are one of the, if it's possible, underrated speakers. I've heard them do some marvelous things!

Maybe so in the USA , think they are pretty well regarded in Europe and Asia . If I am not mistaken Bob Levi at PFO uses a Marten Bird as his reference .

Last year, before embarking on a trip to Tokyo, my classmate invited me to go stay with him in Malaysia for a few days.
He operates an Internet cafe in a small town, a town so small it is really just one street with shop houses on both sides.
At night nothing to do can only surf the web.
Speed not very fast, but the local kids mainly use the place to play games.
So, can't even watch YouTube videos, I just googled some images just to pass the time....

I typed in the model name of my current speakers and watch the screen filled up with images of the speakers I am using in my bedroom...., so many, I googled so many times, every pix I seen before.......

Then I saw a couple of pix which I had never come across before. I clicked on it.
A new window opened.
Turned out to be a online Hifi shop.
This pix was for a pair that is on sale!

OMG! Is this for real?

How much the price?

What?!??

I dun care, I want this. So I clicked on purchase.

nuts! What have I done?

Where is this shop?

It is in France! How am I gonna bring them back here?
The seller can send or not? No? Sh1t. I am in real sh1t....

The reality sank in. i just bought a pair of SS-M9ED from France.
Now I have find a way to bring them back home.

So it is - I went to Paris, travelled down to Lyon by Train, then got a friend's sister to drive us down to the seller, way out in the Chandon country side.
Paid and removed the super tweeters. then packed the rest of the speakers in carton boxes and had Fedex picked them up and sent them to Singapore....

the Chandon countryside during the car drive....
A765E83B.jpg

the seller's house in the picturesque country side of Chandon
4B58527C.jpg

the house is actually a fully loaded hifi shop!!!! the SS-M9ED being tested here to make sure they are in working order....
9E14F910.jpg

the super tweeters removed and packed individually for hand carry back to Singapore....
39386EC1.jpg

the rest of the SS-M9ED speakers packed in Focal speakers' carton boxes and improvised packing materials. not the best fit, but hopefully they will get to Singapore in one piece.....
14406DE2.jpg

A few more days later, while in Tokyo, saw another pair of SS-M9ED in Tokyo. attempted to do the same.
Problem, problem...

stay tuned.......

That's quite a tale , here's hoping to, your speakers reach safe n sound .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing