Have you got "the" sound, and are stepping off major upgrading?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nothing wrong with that. But why do you want to call them audiophiles? Aren't they different from the people who are into gear?

I think the difference we are having is, I keep saying there are some people who keep wanting to eat and experiment with different food. I call them foodies. Some want to stick to a staple regular diet. Not that one is wrong and the other is right. But both lifestyles are different. That is all that I am saying. And I am using a terminology to distinguish them (foodie, audiophile), which you and JV seem to be objecting to.

Well, you didn't say you were into 'quality' tweaks. Anyone who tweaks is an audiophile. You said you were satisfied with what you had, and had stepped off, no more changes. As to whether your tweaks are quality or not, that is what this forum is for, for audiophiles to claim their tweaks are quality and make a big improvement and for other audiophiles to say it makes no difference.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
how many angels fit on the head of a pin?

how can one permanently turn on or turn off their desire to have reproduced music sound better?

these are questions without answers. our minds don't have doors with locks.

new experiences can change our personal equations on what it is we aspire to.

OTOH we can have the best of intentions.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Nothing wrong with that. But why do you want to call them audiophiles? Aren't they different from the people who are into gear?

What if I am into new gear until I am satisfied? Do I stop being an audiophile when just being into my current gear without upgrading? I don't think so. During the decade that I didn't upgrade (2002 - 2012) I didn't stop considering myself an audiophile either.

Just because I choose to be satisfied and prefer to spend my money on what I hope are quality tweaks, it doesn't make me less of an audiophile.

Precisely.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What if I am into gear until I am satisfied? Do I stop being an audiophile? I don't think so. During the decade that I didn't upgrade (2002 - 2012) I didn't stop considering myself an audiophile either.
+1.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
MBL is the speaker to buy then

Heard MLB a couple of times at the Audio Show here: the sense of reality and presence is rather uncanny. If there's any way to describe how people were listening in that room it was 'religiously'.

Strangely enough, we mostly content ourselves with extremely directional loudspeakers which have such a sweet spot that only one person can realistically get the best sound...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Here's a thought...perhaps you stop being an a'phile when you listen to live music only and don't give a hoot anymore about the in-home experience. :confused::);):p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What if I am into new gear until I am satisfied? Do I stop being an audiophile when just being into my current gear without upgrading? I don't think so. During the decade that I didn't upgrade (2002 - 2012) I didn't stop considering myself an audiophile either.

So, what was different before 2002 and after 2012?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
So, what was different before 2002 and after 2012?

Between 1994 and 2000 I did nothing because I was happy. Around 2000 REL came up with the concept of running subs in parallel to the main speakers, without extra crossover from them. I always had wanted deep bass only if my main speakers remained untouched -- I was worried about loss of liveliness with an extra crossover -- and this was a good solution (others adopted the same concept, or perhaps came up with it around the same time). In 2002 I added a second sub, which ultimately I didn't need and sold.

In 2012 I had more financial resources and wanted to get rid of harshness in the sound, the only thing that had bothered me at the time; it turned out that the harshness was for only a minor part due to digital artifacts, and for the most part due to room issues, which were solved with ASC room treatment. From there I did a few more upgrades, which tremendously added to the resolution. For right now I am very happy even though I hear in other WBF member's systems things that mine cannot do; my system has other advantages. The latest upgrade with ASC window plugs has gotten my system sound right, while before the images often were too recessed; the window plugs have also had other substantial benefits (see my system thread, linked in my signature).

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

An audiophile is NOT someone who is "into gear"; an audiophile is someone who is into hearing music reproduced as enjoyably as possible. Some would say as "accurate" as possible, others say as "good" as possible, and those are subjects for other ongoing topic threads.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I think if you're reading this you're an audiophile by definition. Well, unless you're lost, in which case you're probably laughing hysterically by now.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
i think if you're reading this you're an audiophile by definition. Well, unless you're lost, in which case you're probably laughing hysterically by now.
lolol....:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think if you're reading this you're an audiophile by definition. Well, unless you're lost, in which case you're probably laughing hysterically by now.

+1. I was about to post something similar.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
An audiophile is NOT someone who is "into gear"; an audiophile is someone who is into hearing music reproduced as enjoyably as possible. Some would say as "accurate" as possible, others say as "good" as possible, and those are subjects for other ongoing topic threads.

+1

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Listen boys...does any of it really matter? We're all here because we enjoy good sound, which by default means we enjoy music. Whether gear or music is more or less of a priority is immaterial. How much or little we throw at that is also reasonably immaterial. The bottom line is that we enjoy what we hear, and if we don't we make changes. But that means different things to different people. How we accomplish that is up to us.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Listen boys...does any of it really matter? We're all here because we enjoy good sound, which by default means we enjoy music. Whether gear or music is more or less of a priority is immaterial. How much or little we throw at that is also reasonably immaterial. The bottom line is that we enjoy what we hear, and if we don't we make changes. But that means different things to different people. How we accomplish that is up to us.

If we decided to not let such things matter, we won't have much of a forum left. It will only be purite audio types then

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If we decided to not let such things matter, we won't have much of a forum left. It will only be purite audio types then
I suppose that's true enough, but I hope you got my point.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Actually, the whole discussion has been pointless

Well Bonzo, as someone who's contributed to the thread more than others, it's a shame you couldn't have made more points to make it less pointless. Or was your surplus of points the reason it has a surplus of pointlessness :eek::eek::eek:?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing